Tom Thacker (musician)
|Birth name||Thomas Arnold Thacker|
|Also known as||Brown Tom|
April 11, 1977 |
Langley, BC, Canada
|Genres||Pop punk, punk rock, alternative rock, hard rock, melodic hardcore|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, drums, keyboards, accordion|
|Associated acts||Gob, Sum 41, Treble Charger, The McRackins|
Thomas Arnold "Tom" Thacker (born April 11, 1977) is the lead guitarist and lead singer for Canadian punk rock group Gob, as well as a producer. Thacker formed Gob with Theo Goutzinakis in 1993. In 2006, he was hired as Sum 41's touring guitarist, but became an official band member in 2009, making him the current lead guitarist and backing vocalist for Sum 41.
Thacker is one of the vocalists and guitarists in the punk rock band Gob. He formed the band with Theo Goutzinakis, Wolfman Pat Integrity on drums, and Kelly Macaulay on bass. They released their debut, Self-Titled in 1994. Since signing a deal with Nettwerk and EMI, the band has released five studio albums. The current bassist and drummer, Steven Fairweather and Gabe Mantle, joined the band after the band went through several other bassists. He uses Gibson SG, a PRS McCarty and a Gibson Les Paul.
Sum 41 (2006–present)
Thacker also joined Sum 41 as a touring lead guitarist in late 2006. With Sum 41, he generally plays a Gibson Les Paul, which was a gift from Deryck Whibley upon him helping the band. He also plays keyboards for Sum 41, and provides backing vocals.
On June 26, 2009, in a special chat taking place on the website AbsolutePunk.net, Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley made it clear that Thacker was now an official member of the band and not just a touring member. On July 20, 2009, Steve Jocz of Sum 41 stated on the band's official website that the band finished all their tour dates for 2009 and confirmed that Thacker will be appearing on the upcoming Sum 41 album.
Thacker has said many times that he wrote a track by the name of "Panic Attack" for Sum 41's latest album Screaming Bloody Murder. Since then, the track has been remade, re-arranged and renamed "Screaming Bloody Murder" by frontman Deryck Whibley. It was released as the first single off the album with the same name, on February 8, 2011. Even though it was confirmed that Thacker will be recording guitars for Screaming Bloody Murder, he eventually said that Whibley has recorded all the guitars by himself, and that he had no input in the recording, except the pre-production for the album.
On September 2, 2011, in an interview with Todd Morse of The Operation M.D., he said that the band plans to go on their first ever European tour in December, with possibly Tom Thacker playing lead guitar. Matt Brann is rumored to join the touring line-up on drums. In an interview with Thacker, he has confirmed that he was the one to suggest Cone and Todd to tour with the Operation M.D. in the winter, after Sum 41 cancelled all their tour dates for the rest of 2011.
- Gob (1994)
- Too Late... No Friends (1995)
- How Far Shallow Takes You (1998)
- World According to Gob (2001)
- Foot in Mouth Disease (2003)
- Muertos Vivos (2007)
- Gob documentary (2012)
- upcoming album (2012)
- All the Good Shit (2009) - live tracks
- Screaming Bloody Murder (2011) - co-wrote the first single
- Live at the House of Blues, Cleveland 9.15.07 (2011)
- Various Artists - FUBAR: The Album (2002)
- By A Thread (2011) (producer)
- Floodlight (2009) (producer)
- http://www.orlandofloridaguide.com/entertainment/music/bands/gob/interview.htm[dead link]
- http://theresnosolution.com/en/[dead link]
- "Island | Island Def Jam". Islandrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "Operation MD France - Interview de Todd Morse à Paris". YouTube. 2011-09-02. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- http://theresnosolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14386&view=unread#p354986[dead link]
|Guitarist for Sum 41