Tom Watson (fighter)
13 July 1982 |
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13.3 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Orange County, California|
Jackson's Submission Fighting
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Tom Watson (born 13 July 1982) is an English mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC's Middleweight division. He is the former BAMMA Middleweight Champion, the former UCMMA Middleweight Champion, and has also competed for Cage Rage and the MFC. Watson is known for his unorthodox entrances to the cage such as dancing to the ring in a gorilla mask.
Mixed martial arts career
Watson began training when he was 16 years old and has an extensive boxing background, winning two awards, Amateur Boxing Standout 2006, a three-time ABA Southern Counties Champion, and Full Contact Unlicensed Boxing Champion.
Cage Rage and early career
Watson held a 1-0-1 amateur record before going pro in 2006. He won his first two fights and was then given the chance to fight in the UK's top MMA promotion, Cage Rage. His first fight was against Daijiro Matsui in February 2007 at Cage Rage 20, and he lost via an armbar in the first round. He returned to the cage a month later and impressively defeated Dorlan O'Malley via KO after a slam.
After this, he was given another chance against a higher profile opponent. He took on UFC veteran Xavier Foupa-Pokam at CageRage 21: Judgement Day in April, 2007, but was submitted again. He fought a further two times that year, and recorded a win and a loss. In 2008, he began to climb the ladder again by beating Pierre Guillet and John Phillips, but Cage Rage went into liquidation and he then went to Ultimate Challenge MMA.
Ultimate Challenge MMA
Watson's first Ultimate Challenge MMA bout came against Daniel Cubitt at Ultimate Challenge UK: Bad Breed in December 2008. He won the fight by knocking his opponent out less than two minutes into the first round to win the inaugural Ultimate Challenge UK title. He returned at Ultimate Challenge UK: Dynamite in October 2009 to take on Denniston Sutherland, and defeated him via split decision.
Maximum Fighting Championship
On 10 January 2010, Watson signed a three fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship, a Canadian promotion. His first fight was on 26 February 2010, where he took on Travis Galbraith on MFC 24: Heat XC. In the second minute of the first round, Kong knocked his opponent out with a vicious right head kick. This won him knockout of the night and put him at the top of the list for knockout of the year.
His second fight for the Canadian promotion took place on the main card of MFC 26 card against Jesse Taylor. Watson lost via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) after being deducted a point for repeatedly grabbing the ropes.
On 27 June 2009, Watson fought at the British Association of Mixed Martial Arts' first event, BAMMA 1: The Fighting Premiership, after a hard fought battle, Watson defeated John Maguire via TKO at 2:47 of round 3. It was confirmed that Maguire had broken his arm during the fight after a takedown.
He was then scheduled to fight Celebrity Big Brother winner Alex Reid for the vacant Middleweight Championship at BAMMA 3 in May 2010. However, Reid injured his knee while filming his documentary TV series Alex Reid: The Fight of His Life and was forced to pull out of the fight. This angered Watson, who claimed Reid was disrespecting him. Watson also called him a "clown" and said that it was likely Reid pulled out to avoid an embarrassing defeat. Reid was then replaced by UFC and IFL veteran Matt Horwich. After miraculously freeing himself from a rear-naked choke in the first round, Watson went on to dominate the fight with his superior striking and won via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-47, 49-46) to become the first BAMMA Middleweight Champion.
Initially, Watson maintained that he did not want to waste any more time training for and fighting such a low-level opponent as Reid but the Reid vs. Watson fight was rescheduled for BAMMA 4 on 25 September 2010. Watson won by unanimous decision, as the judges scored the fight 49-46 49-46 49-47.
On 21 May 2011, he faced former EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murilo Rua at Wembley Arena in London, England, defeating the PRIDE FC veteran by KO due to head kick followed up by punches in the third round, and defending his BAMMA Middleweight Title in the process.
Watson was set to fight former UFC Welterweight contender and current BAMMA Middleweight, Frank Trigg, for Kong's BAMMA Middleweight Title. However, Tom has suffered a back injury and was replaced by Jim Wallhead.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Watson next faced undefeated Stanislav Nedkov on 16 February 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. He won the back-and-forth fight via TKO in the second round. Both participants earned Fight of the Night honors for their performance, while Watson also earned a Knockout of the Night bonus.
Watson was expected to face Alessio Sakara on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz. However, he was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Magnus Cedenblad.
Championships and accomplishments
- BAMMA World Middleweight Championship (One Time)
- Three successful title defenses
- Fight of the Night (Five Times)
- Knockout of the Night (Three Times)
- Maximum Fighting Championship
- Knockout of the Night (One Time)
- Knockout of the Year 2010
- Ultimate Challenge MMA
- UCMMA World Middleweight Championship (One Time)
- One successful title defense
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||16 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||16–7||Nick Catone||Decision (split)||UFC 169||1 February 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||16–6||Thales Leites||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 163||3 August 2013||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||16–5||Stanislav Nedkov||TKO (knees and punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||16 February 2013||2||4:42||London, England||Fight of The Night; Knockout of the Night|
|Loss||15–5||Brad Tavares||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||29 September 2012||3||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||15–4||Jack Marshman||TKO (punches and elbows)||BAMMA 9||24 March 2012||2||4:50||Birmingham, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship|
|Win||14–4||Murilo Rua||KO (head kick and punches)||BAMMA 6||21 May 2011||3||2:06||London, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship|
|Win||13–4||Alex Reid||Decision (unanimous)||BAMMA 4||25 September 2010||5||5:00||Birmingham, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship; Fight of The Night|
|Loss||12–4||Jesse Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 26||10 September 2010||3||5:00||Brandon, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||12–3||Matt Horwich||Decision (unanimous)||BAMMA 3||15 May 2010||5||5:00||Birmingham, England||Won the BAMMA Middleweight Championship; Fight of The Night|
|Win||11–3||Travis Galbraith||KO (head kick)||MFC 24||26 February 2010||1||1:56||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||MFC 24 Knockout of the Night & MFC Knockout of the Year 2010|
|Win||10–3||Denniston Sutherland||Decision (split)||UCMMA 8 - Dynamite||24 October 2009||3||5:00||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Middleweight Championship|
|Win||9–3||John Maguire||TKO (punches)||BAMMA 1||27 June 2009||2||3:47||London, England||Fight of The Night; Knockout of The Night|
|Win||8–3||Daniel Cubitt||TKO (punches)||Ultimate Challenge MMA - Bad Breed||6 December 2008||1||1:57||London, England||Won the UCMMA Middleweight Championship|
|Win||7–3||Lloyd Clarkson||Decision (unanimous)||Atlas Fighting Challenge||9 August 2008||3||5:00||England|
|Win||6–3||John Phillips||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Rage 27||12 July 2008||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||5–3||Pierre Guillet||KO (upkick)||Cage Rage 25||8 March 2008||1||1:05||London, England|
|Loss||4–3||Mark Epstein||Decision (split)||Cage Rage 24||1 December 2007||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||4–2||Ed Smith||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Rage 22||14 July 2007||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||3–2||Xavier Foupa-Pokam||Submission (triangle kimura)||Cage Rage 21||21 April 2007||2||2:27||London, England|
|Win||3–1||Dorlan O'Malley||KO (slam and punches)||Cage Rage Contenders 4||3 March 2007||1||2:21||London, England|
|Loss||2–1||Daijiro Matsui||Submission (armbar)||Cage Rage 20||10 February 2007||1||0:59||London, England|
|Win||2–0||Tulio Palhares||Decision||ZT Fight Night 2||25 June 2006||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||1–0||Michael Watson||Submission (guillotine choke)||ZT Fight Night 1||19 February 2006||1||1:11||London, England|
- "Thomas Watson Biography". UFC. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Maximum Fighting Championship signs Tom ‘Kong’ Watson". Aroundtheoctagon.com. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- [dead link]
- "Alex Reid vs Tom Watson". Bamma.net. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Alex Reid Pulls Out of Controversial Title Fight with Tom Watson". Bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Cage fighter Tom "Kong" Watson calls Alex Reid ‘a clown’". Unrealitytv.co.uk. 2010-03-03. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- BAMMA 3 - Full Review. "BAMMA 3 - Full Review". Blogs.mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "BAMMA: Reid v Watson WILL happen, but not at BAMMA 3". Blogs.mirror.co.uk. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "BAMMA 6 Results: Tom Watson Retires Murilo 'Ninja' Rua". Mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Head, Simon (9 February 2012). "Serving paratrooper Jack Marshman gets BAMMA world title shot". mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Brits Watson and Manuwa heading to the UFC". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- YourMMA.tv. "Tom Watson Joins British Legion In UFC". YourMMA.tv. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "UFC: Nottingham Adds Tom ‘Kong’ Watson vs. Brad Tavares". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 7 adds Tom Watson vs. Stanislav Nedkov". mmajunkie.com. 16 December 2012.
- "Thales Leites vs. Tom Watson added to UFC 163". themmareport.com. 30 May 2013.
- "Watson Draws Sakara In UFC Manchester Stand Up Battle". YourMMA.tv. 21 August 2013.
- Matt Erickson (5 December 2013). "Nick Catone vs. Tom Watson booked for UFC 169 on Super Bowl weekend". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-06-14). "Sam Alvey signs with the UFC, meets Tom Watson at UFN 47". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Professional MMA record for Tom Watson (fighter) from Sherdog
- Tom Watson on UFC.com
- Top 5 Tom Watson Knockouts