Tom White (film)
|Directed by||Alkinos Tsilimidos|
|Produced by||Daniel Scharf|
|Written by||Daniel Keene|
|Music by||Paul Kelly & the Boon Companions|
|Distributed by||Cinemavault Releasing|
|Release date(s)||19 August 2004(Australia)|
|Running time||106 minutes|
Tom White is the third film directed by Alkinos Tsilimidos. The film was released in Australian cinemas on 19 August 2004 and played until 1 September 2004. The film premiered on 31 July 2004 at the Melbourne International Film Festival. It was also screened at the Cannes Film Market on 13 May 2004; the Pusan International Film Festival (South Korea) on 10 October 2004; Australian Film Festival (Singapore) on 11 March 2005; the Commonwealth Film Festival (United Kingdom) on 4 May 2005 and at the Saint-Tropez Festival of the Antipodes (France) on 20 October 2005. The film was scored by Paul Kelly and the Boon Companions: Dan Kelly, Dan Luscombe, Peter Luscombe and Bill MacDonald.
Tom White (Colin Friels) is an architect who chooses to make himself hopeless. Outwardly, he has all the signs of a successful life — large home, loving family, successful carer. However, it soon becomes clear that not everything is as it appears at work. Tom chooses a different path and cuts ties with his normal life. He has chosen the streets, where those he meets, in spite of their position, have enormous self-dignity—the rent boy (Dan Spielman), an ex-junkie (Loene Carmen), a gentle-but-manly tramp (Bill Hunter) and a 14-year-old graffiti artist (Jarryd Jinks). Tom goes on a personal journey of his own as he plumbs outsider society, yet he discovers his own Dignity and gains an understanding of who she is.
|Colin Friels||Tom White|
|Rachael Blake||Helen White|
|Angela Punch McGregor||Irene|
Tom White received mixed critical reviews. The first weekend of release, Tom White was number 20 on the Australian Box office with an intake of A$56,219 (total $147, 495).
- Winner - Golden Tripod, Australian Cinematographers Society - 2004
- Winner - Inside Film (IF) Awards - Best Actor - Australia, 2004
- Winner - 3 Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards - Best Actor, Best Editing, Best Original Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor - Australia, 2004
- Nominated – 13 Australian Film Institute (AFI) Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography - Australia, 2004
- Nominated – 5 Inside Film (IF) Awards including Best Film, Best Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Script - Australia, 2004
- Nominated – 6 Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress - Australia, 2004
Tom White grossed $277,234 at the box office in Australia.
- "Box Office". Urban Cinefile. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- "Tom White (2004)". Australian Screen Online. National Film and Sound Archive. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Tom White: Box Office Figures". Murdoch University. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- "6th Annual AFI Awards". Inside Film Awards. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- "2004 FCCA Awards". Screen Australia. Retrieved 8 December 2008.
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office