Tom Williams (footballer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014)|
Pictured in 2011
|Full name||Thomas Andrew Williams|
|Date of birth||8 July 1980|
|Place of birth||Carshalton, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Playing position||Defender, Midfielder|
|1998–2000||Walton & Hersham||?||(?)|
|2000–2001||West Ham United||0||(0)|
|2001||→ Peterborough United (loan)||2||(0)|
|2002–2003||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||26||(1)|
|2003||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||5||(0)|
|2003–2004||→ Peterborough United (loan)||14||(0)|
|2007–2008||→ Peterborough United (loan)||7||(0)|
|2009||→ Queens Park Rangers (loan)||5||(0)|
|2010||→ Preston North End (loan)||10||(0)|
|2010||→ Colchester United (loan)||7||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 February 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Thomas Andrew "Tom" Williams (born 8 July 1980) is a former Cyprus international footballer who plays primarily as a defender, but he can also play in midfield. He has made nearly 300 appearances in the Football League playing for numerous different clubs.
Williams was born in Carshalton, London. His professional career began with West Ham United in April 2000 when he joined the club from Walton & Hersham for a fee of £40,000. He went on loan to Peterborough United in March 2001, without having made his senior debut, and the move was made permanent during the summer. He stayed with the Posh for one season, before moving to Birmingham City for a fee of £350,000.
His career stalled at St Andrew's, playing just four games for Birmingham, and, after two loan periods at Queens Park Rangers, he rejoined Peterborough United, initially on loan, later joining permanently. In May 2004 Williams went to Barnsley on a free transfer.
He played a full season for the South Yorkshire side, before moving again on a free transfer to Gillingham in July 2005, and then signing for Swansea City in January 2006 after the Gills suffered financial problems. He returned to the side in December 2006 after a hernia operation in November. He was released by the club on 7 May 2007.
On 31 December 2007 Williams joined Peterborough United for the third time, initially on an emergency loan to make him available for the match on New Year's Day, for which he was an unused substitute. The loan was converted to a two-year permanent deal two days later.
On 9 November 2009, Williams rejoined Championship side Queens Park Rangers on a short term loan deal, with a possible view to sign permanently in the January transfer window. This did not happen in the end and he returned to Peterborough during January 2010.
Williams joined former boss Darren Ferguson at Preston North End on loan for the rest of the season. Preston decided not to sign him on a permanent basis and he returned to Peterborough where he was released following his contract expiry.
Williams joined Colchester United on a months loan on 30 September. This was later extended twice until 31 December. Williams had his contract terminated at Bristol City on 5 January 2011.
On 14 February 2011, he joined League One side Walsall on a deal until the end of the season. In August 2011, Williams played one match in the Conference for Kettering Town, a 3–0 defeat away at Mansfield Town. He signed for Notts County in August 2012 on a short-term deal, and was released in January 2013 when his contract expired.
- Peterborough United
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2003). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2003/2004. Queen Anne Press. p. 455. ISBN 1-85291-651-6.
- "Wycombe recruit defender Williams". BBC Sport. 27 July 2007. Retrieved 27 July 2007.
- Swann, Alan (31 December 2007). "Posh signings: Williams and Hatch". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- Cecil, Matt (31 December 2007). "Tom Williams leaves the club". Wycombe Wanderers F.C. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Tom Williams". Peterborough United F.C. Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- "Defender Tom Williams handed trial by Bristol City". BBC Sport. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Tom Pens Six-Month Deal". Bristol City F.C. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Walsall sign utility player Tom Williams". BBC Sport. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Mansfield Town 3–0 Kettering Town". Kettering Town F.C. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Notts County sign Carl Regan and Tom Williams". BBC Sport. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Duo released". Notts County F.C. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Guildford City v Clevedon Town – Today (GAME ON) & New Signings". Guildford City F.C. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
We also welcome the highly experienced central defender Tom Williams who joins us from Notts County. Tom gained a full international cap for Cyprus in 2006 and has made nearly 300 Football League appearances for a number of clubs including Peterborough United, Barnsley and Swansea City.
Underwood, Barry (12 January 2014). "Guildford City 3–2 Clevedon Town". Guildford City F.C. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
City for their part gave a debut to Cyprus international Tom Williams in the centre of defence
"Merthyr Town 12–0 Guildford City". Guildford City F.C. 9 February 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Amicale look to Europe for Champions League glory". Vanuatu Football Federation. 12 February 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Blanche, Phil (9 September 2006). "Watch out for Cyprus, warns Williams" (REPRINT). Western Mail (Cardiff). Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- Tom Williams at National-Football-Teams.com
- Reinis, Nick (11 July 2009). "Tommy Williams and Nicola McLean tie the knot in a TV ceremony". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- Kay, Nathan (25 March 2010). "It's a boy! Nicola McLean gives birth to her second child". Mail Online (London). Retrieved 25 March 2010.