Pengov in 2005
|Also known as||Pigl|
Ljubljana, People's Republic of Slovenia, Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia
|Died|| (aged 64)
|Occupations|| • Musician
|Instruments|| • Lute
• Steel-string acoustic guitar
• Twelve-string guitar
|Labels||Škuc, ZKP RTVL, Sraka|
He recorded his first album Odpotovanja in 1973. This album is considered to be the first independently released record in former Yugoslavia. It was reissued in 1981 in stereo; the original mono edition is very rare now.
Pengov sang and played the lute, steel-string acoustic guitar and twelve-string guitar. His music was lauded by many[who?] as being original, and his style was very similar to that of the early Leonard Cohen.
He took eight years, from 1980 to 1988, to record his second album, Pripovedi (Stories) (1988), recorded with guest musicians. The music is still acoustic, but more varied.
In the 1990s, he recorded two more albums, Rimska cesta (Roman road) (1992) and Biti tu (Being here) (1996). In 2011, he published the audiobook Drevo in zvezda (Tree and a star), in which he recites his poems.
- "Umrl je Tomaž Pengov." MMC RTV-SLO, 10 February 2014 (Slovene)
- Drevo in zvezda, nova zvočna knjiga Tomaža Pengova, Delo, 5 February 2011
- Pripotovanje hrepenenca — Tomaž Pengov, kantavtor, Mladina, 3 March 2007
- "Umrl je eden največjih slovenskih pesnikov 20. stoletja, Tomaž Pengov" [Tomaž Pengov, One of the Greatest Slovene Poets of the 20th Century, Dies]. Dnevnik.si (in Slovene). 10 February 2014.