Kalas warming up for Chelsea in 2014
|Full name||Tomáš Kalas|
|Date of birth||15 May 1993|
|Place of birth||Olomouc, Czech Republic|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|1. FC Köln (on loan from Chelsea)|
|2011–2013||→ Vitesse (loan)||66||(2)|
|2014–||→ 1. FC Köln (loan)||0||(0)|
|2009–2010||Czech Republic U17||12||(1)|
|2010||Czech Republic U18||5||(0)|
|2011||Czech Republic U19||8||(1)|
|2011–||Czech Republic U21||17||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Tomáš Kalas (born 15 May 1993) is a Czech footballer who plays as a centre back, but also has the ability to be played as a right back. Kalas is currently playing for 1. FC Köln in the Bundesliga on loan from Chelsea.
On 7 July 2010, he signed for English Premier League champions Chelsea for a reported figure of around £5.2 million, although it was agreed that he would stay at Sigma Olomouc for the 2010–11 season. Kalas arrived at Chelsea for the second half of the 2010–11 season and made his Chelsea reserve team debut in a 2–2 away draw to Aston Villa on 21 February. 
Loan to Vitesse
On 22 August 2011 Kalas joined Dutch football club Vitesse on loan for the 2011–12 season. He was given the number 2 jersey. He made his debut for Vitesse on 17 September 2011 against Roda JC Kerkrade which ended in a 5–0 win for Vitesse.
In March 2012, Kalas admitted that he did not yet know where he will be playing next season, but was happy on loan at Vitesse. "Ideally I'll stay another year at this club," he told. "Simply put, there are three options. I'll stay here, go back to Chelsea or they will loan me to another club abroad. In late March I will talk with my managers about next season and know more."
On 17 May 2012, Kalas scored the opening goal in the 22nd minute, for Vitesse against RKC Waalwijk; the match ended in a 3-1 win for Vitesse. This goal was Kalas first goal of his professional career.
On 11 July 2012, Kalas rejoined Vitesse on a new loan deal until the end of the 2012–13 season. He also extended his contract with Chelsea until the summer of 2017. Kalas scored his first Eredivisie goal of the season for Vitesse in a 3–0 defeat of FC Groningen on 16 September 2012.
During his second loan spell at Vitesse, Kalas was mainly deployed as a right-back instead of his natural centre-back. Kalas ended up playing a total of 76 games over all competition during his two-year stay at Vitesse.
On 10 July 2013 Chelsea manager José Mourinho confirmed Kalas would stay and fight for his place at Chelsea for the coming season. During Chelsea's 2013 pre-season Asia tour, Kalas made 3 appearances for Chelsea, in wins against the Singha All Stars, the Malaysian XI, and the Indonesian XI. During pre-season training, Kalas suffered fractured fibula, cutting his action with the first-team short as the rest of the team flew over to America for the Guinness International Champions Cup.
After finally recovered from his injuries, Kalas made his competitive debut for the senior squad on 29th October 2013 as a substitute for Juan Mata, in a 2–0 win at Arsenal in the Capital One Cup. Speaking of his role at Chelsea, Kalas said in an interview with a Czech chat show: "I am a player for training sessions. If they need a cone they put me there instead."
On 27 April 2014, Kalas was given his debut in the Premier League for Chelsea, at Anfield against Liverpool, replacing the injured John Terry. He played the whole 90 minutes in a 2–0 win that kept Chelsea in contention for the league title.
Loan to FC Köln
On 11 June 2014, 1. FC Köln announced that Kalas will spend the 2014/2015 season on loan at their club. Since his loan started in the beginning of the summer, Kalas has yet to make a single appearance for FC Köln and has only made the bench a few times this season. On 24 September 2014, Kalas made his debut for Köln II, FC Köln's reserves team against Borussia M'gladbach II; the game ended in a 2-1 win for Köln II. On 25 October 2014, Kalas made his another appearance for Köln II against SC Verl; the game ended in a 2-0 lost for Köln II.
Czech Republic U17
Kalas made his debut for the U-17 on 5 September 2009 coming on as a 61st minute substitute in a European Under-17 Championship Qualifying match against Belarus which the Czechs won 1–0. He went on to be picked for the final tournament. He played 65 minutes of his 9th appearance, against Greece, before being sent off.
|Sigma Olomouc||2009–10||Gambrinus liga||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|1. FC Köln||2014–15||Bundesliga||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Thomas Kalas". Soccerway. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Chelsea sign teenage Czech defender Tomas Kalas". BBC Sport. 7 July 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- "Reserve Report: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2". Retrieved 3 March 2011.
- "Presentatie nieuwe nummer 2: Tomáš Kalas". Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- "Chelsea FC loan roundup".
- "Kalas unsure over future".
- "RKC Waalwijk vs. Vitesse 1 - 3". US Soccerway. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- "VITESSE LOANS FOR YOUNG PAIR". Chelseafc.com. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "FC Groningen 0 – 3 Vitesse Arnhem". ESPNFC. 16 September 2012.
- "Tomas Kalas suffers fractured fibula and will be out for about a month". Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Chelsea vs. Galatasaray 2 - 0". Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "TEAM NEWS: LIVERPOOL V CHELSEA". Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- [tt_news=7838&cHash=94f330fc63ab4a1f13e2f770879a4c9a "FC leiht Tomas Kalas aus"]. 1. FC Koln. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "KALAS LOAN TO COLOGNE". chelseafc.com. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Chelsea's Koln Loanee Tomas Kalas Falling by the Wayside". Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Koln II vs Verl". Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Tomas Kalas gets sent off". UEFA.com. 8 July 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Tomas Kalas". Soccerbase. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Tomas Kalas". Soccerway. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Tomáš Kalas international stats at the Football Association of the Czech Republic website (Czech)
- Tomáš Kalas Czech First League statistics at Fotbal DNES (Czech)
- Profile at IMScouting
- Profile at UEFA.com