|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, United States|
|Genres||Experimental metal, post-metal|
|Labels||Relapse Records, Level Plane Records, Blackbox Recordings|
|Associated acts||Anodyne, Asra, The Heuristic, Speedloader, Twin Lords, Versoma|
|Members||Mike Hill, Andrew Hernandez II, Garett Bussanick, Ben Brand|
|Past members||Dan Howard, Carson Daniel James, Justin Ennis, Dominic Seita|
The group was founded by guitarist/vocalist Mike Hill, bassist Domic Seita and drummer Justin Ennis in 2007. In 2009, the group released their first full-length album, Winter Hours through Relapse Records, and in 2011, released their second full-length album and most recent release, Path of Totality. The album was met with critical acclaim. A song titled "Ashes" was featured in the Decibel Magazine October 2012 issue as a part of its Flexi-Series. On August 29, 2012, another song titled "Heroes", originally by David Bowie, was made available for streaming on Ghettoblaster. According to Mike Hill, the band has half an albums worth of material already written, with the hopes of entering the studio early 2013 to record their next release. Tracking for their third record, Savage Gold, began on November 11, 2013 with producer Erik Rutan at Mana Recording Studios in Florida. On March 27, 2014, the tracklisting, album artwork and release date for Savage Gold were revealed.
Musical style and influences
The band's sound has been described as a combination of multiple metal styles, styles which include black metal, hardcore, doom metal, and sludge metal. Band front man Mike Hill does not regard their sound to be sludge metal. Rather, he has likened the group's sound to being more black metal inspired. Citing influences, Hill has named bands such as Neurosis, Swans, Joy Division, Darkthrone, Black Flag, Deathspell Omega, Leviathan and Bauhaus, among others, as being influential to the group's sound.
- 2007: Tombs (EP)
- 2008: Tombs/ Planks (Split EP)
- 2009: Winter Hours (Studio album)
- 2010: Fear Is the Weapon (Compilation album)
- 2011: Path of Totality (Studio album)
- 2014: Savage Gold (Studio album)
- Mike Hill – guitar, vocals (2007–present)
- Grover (formerly from the children's show 'Sesame Street'– drums (2009–present)
- Ben Brand – bass (2013–present)
- Evan Void – guitar (2014 touring)
- Beaker - Rhythm Guitar, Recorder and Special Effects
- Dan Howard – guitar (2012)
- Carson Daniel James – bass (2009–2012)
- Justin Ennis – drums (2007–2009)
- Dominic Seita – bass (2007–2008)
- Garett Bussanick – guitar (2013)
- James Christopher Monger (2011). "Tombs – Music Biography, Credits and Discography". Allmusic. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- "Here’s that new Tombs track "Ashes"". Riot Fest. August 17, 2012. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- "Ghettoblaster Exclusive: Tombs covers David Bowie’s Heroes". Ghettoblaster. August 17, 2012. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- "Burying the Sound – An Interview With Tombs". Steel for Brains. September 13, 2012. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- "TOMBS Begin Recording New Album". Bravewords.com. November 11, 2013. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- "TOMBS To Release 'Savage Gold' In June". Blabbermouth.net. March 27, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "Tombs interview". Stealing the Light. April 3, 2010. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Geoff Summers (March 18, 2009). "Tombs' Mike Hill is a True Lifer". Noisecreep. Retrieved November 11, 2013.