|Shortstop / Second baseman|
February 22, 1987 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 11, 2011 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||3|
Thomas Samuel Field (born February 22, 1987) is an American professional baseball shortstop in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization. He has played in Major League Baseball for the Colorado Rockies and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Field was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 24th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft out of Texas State University. Field was assigned to Short-Season A Tri-City, where in 56 games, Field hit .247 with 5 HR, 32 RBI and 10 SB.
Field played all of 2009 with Single-A Asheville, where in 89 games, Field hit .257 with 2 HR, 32 RBI and 8 SB. Field played all of 2010 with A-Advanced Modesto, where in 124 games, he hit .284 with 15 HR, 72 RBI and 16 SB. After the season, Field played with the Scottsdale Scorpions of the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .209 in 18 games.
Field began the 2011 season with Double-A Tulsa, where in 134 games he hit .271 with 17 HR, 61 RBI and 9 SB. On September 11, he was called up to the Rockies. He made his debut that day, and recorded his first hit in his third game (second start), a single off of Shaun Marcum. In 16 games with the Rockies that year, he hit .271 with 3 RBI.
Field began 2012 with Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox. On July 28, Field was recalled when Marco Scutaro was traded to the San Francisco Giants, but was optioned back to Colorado Springs the next day when Jonathan Herrera was activated from the disabled list. He went 0-2 with a walk in his 2 game stint. In 121 games with Colorado Springs, he hit .246 with 8 HR, 49 RBI and 4 SB.
In 2 seasons with the Rockies, Field hit .260/.315/.260 in 18 games with 3 RBI and 0 XBH. On November 2, 2012 he was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Twins. On November 28, Field was claimed off of waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Field began 2013 with Triple-A Salt Lake. On April 20, Field was recalled when Mark Lowe was placed on the disabled list, but was optioned back to Salt Lake 3 days later when Nick Maronde was recalled. On July 20, Field was recalled to replace Brendan Harris, who was designated for assignment.
- 2008 Colorado Rockies Draft Picks
- Rockies select the contracts of Thomas Field and Drew Pomeranz
- Boor, William (April 20, 2013). "Lowe lands on DL; Field recalled from Triple-A". Angels.com.
- Lippman, Jeff (April 23, 2013). "Angels recall Nick Maronde, option Thomas Field". CBS Sports.
- Garro, Adrian (July 20, 2013). "Angels DFA Brendan Harris, Call Up Tommy Field". Valley Bay News.
- Gonzalez, Alden (August 7, 2014). "Angels add reliever Pestano for prospect". MLB.com. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- MLBRosterMoves on Twitter: The @Pirates claim LHP Bobby LaFromboise off waivers from the @Padres, option him to Triple-A; designate INF Tommy Field for assignment.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)