Tommy Knudsen (born 9 November 1961 in Roager, Denmark) is a former Speedway rider who became Speedway World Pairs Champion in 1985 with individual World Champion Erik Gundersen. Tommy was also European (World) Under-21 Champion in 1980.
In his first World Final appearance, Knudsen finished a career best 3rd in 1981 at Wembley Stadium in London after losing a ride-off for 2nd to countryman Ole Olsen.
He rode in the UK for the Coventry Bees from 1979 to 1988 and then from 1990 to 1992.
Knudsen also raced in Australia during the 1980's, winning the "Mr Melbourne" title at the Melbourne Showgrounds in January 1987, and a week later finished third behind fellow Dane Hans Nielsen and American Rick Miller in the West End Speedway International at the Wayville Showground in Adelaide.
World final appearances
Speedway World Pairs Championship
Speedway World Team Cup
- 1981 - Olching, Olching Speedwaybahn (with Ole Olsen / Hans Nielsen / Erik Gundersen / Finn Thomsen) - Winner - 36pts (9)
- 1982 - London, White City (with Ole Olsen / Hans Nielsen / Erik Gundersen / Preben Eriksen) - 2nd - 24pts (1)
- 1985 - Long Beach, Veterans Memorial Stadium (with Erik Gundersen / Hans Nielsen / Preben Eriksen / Bo Petersen) - Winner - 37pts (12)
- 1986 - Göteborg, Ullevi, Vojens, Vojens Speedway Center and Bradford, Odsal Stadium - Winner - 130pts (33)
- 1987 - Fredericia, Fredericia Speedway, Coventry, Brandon Stadium and Prague, Marketa Stadium - Winner - 130pts (32)
- 1988 - Long Beach, Veterans Memorial Stadium (with Hans Nielsen / Jan O. Pedersen / Erik Gundersen / John Jørgensen) - Winner - 44pts (6)
- 1990 - Pardubice, Svítkov Stadion (with Hans Nielsen / John Jørgensen / Bo Petersen / Brian Karger) - 3rd - 30pts (4)
- 1991 - Vojens, Vojens Speedway Center (with Jan O. Pedersen / Hans Nielsen / Gert Handberg / Brian Karger) - Winner - 51pts (13)
- 1993 - Coventry, Brandon Stadium (with Brian Karger / Hans Nielsen / John Jørgensen / Brian Andersen) - 2nd - 38pts (12)
- 1994 - Brokstedt, Holsteinring Brokstedt (with Hans Nielsen / Jan Staechmann) - 3rd - 17pts (12)
- 1995 - Bydgoszcz, Polonia Bydgoszcz Stadium (with Hans Nielsen / Brian Karger) - Winner - 28pts (15)
- 1997 - Piła, Stadion Żużlowy Centrum (with Hans Nielsen / Jesper B. Jensen) - Winner - 27pts (13)
Speedway Grand Prix results
||Won German and Swedish GPs
||Won Polish GP
- ^ Tanner R. Speedway Star magazine (30 August 1986)
- ^ http://www.coventrymotorspeedway.com/halloffame.htm Accessed 4 August 2007
- ^ Bamford, R. & Shailes, G. (2002). A History of the World Speedway Championship. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. ISBN 0-7524-2402-5