Toms River High School East
|Toms River High School East|
|1225 Raider Way
Toms River, NJ 08753
|Motto||"The Compass of Excellence Always Points East"|
|School district||Toms River Regional Schools|
|Assistant principals||Pat Thomas
|Faculty||120.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,609 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.32:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Toms River High School East is a comprehensive four-year public high school, the third high school built in Toms River, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Toms River Regional Schools. It was built in 1979, after the first and second high schools; Toms River High School South and Toms River High School North were too small for the rapid population growth in the district.
The school won several awards for its heating system, which utilizes heat generating lighting fixtures. Its school colors are black, silver, and blue (blue was not an original color when HSE started). The school mascot is the Raider. The school day lasts six hours and 20 minutes. The Toms River high school day ends at 1:35 PM, one of the earliest daily closing time of any high schools in New Jersey.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,609 students and 120.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.32:1. There were 189 students (11.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 62 (3.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 225th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 239th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 204th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 205th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
- 1,609 White
- 29 Black
- 91 Hispanic
- 35 Asian/Pacific Islander
- 2 Indian/Alaskan
- 6 Two or More Races
Toms River High School East competes in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County. The league operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA).
The school's athletic teams have had many other wins over the course of its years too. Over the last fall season itself, the Raiders were South Jersey Group IV State Championship Finalists for both Boy's Soccer and Field Hockey. The football team has won the Shore Conference Championships in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2009. The school's major rivalry is with the Mariners of Toms River High School North. The two schools have been very close competitors in almost every sport they have to offer. Every Thanksgiving weekend, the football teams play in the annual "Battle of Bay Avenue."
- Mike Bucci (born 1972), professional wrestler, known currently as Simon Dean, and earlier as Nova or Super Nova.
- Frank Edgar (born 1981), professional MMA/UFC fighter and who was UFC Lightweight Champion.
- Brian Geraghty (born 1974), actor.
- Ted Gillen (born 1968), former professional soccer player who led the school soccer team to the 1985 New Jersey Group IV High School soccer championship, and now coaches the school's soccer team.
- Pavle Jovanovic (born 1977), Bronze medal winner in the four-man bobsleigh at the FIBT World Championships 2004. Also competed in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin.
- Chris Konopka (born 1985), goalkeeper for the Philadelphia Union of Major League Soccer.
- Joe Scott (born 1965), basketball coach.
The core members of the school's administration are:
- Anne Baldi, Principal (to June 30, 2014)
- Vernon Rutter, Assistant Principal for Grade 9 and Grade 10 A-I
- Ted Gillen, Assistant Principal for Grade 12 and Grade 10 I-P
- Pat Thomas, Assistant Principal for Grade 11 and Grade 10 P-Z (becoming principal on July 1, 2014)
- Data for Toms River High East, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 23, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 31, 2012.
- 2007 Softball - South, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 5, 2007.
- Clayton, Scott. "Baldaccini's 4 TDs lead East Senior's 188 yards help Raiders to ninth win", Asbury Park Press, November 26, 2004. Accessed December 15, 2011. "'This is the biggest game in my mind that we played all season,' senior linebacker Derrick Egan said of the 'Battle of Bay Avenue.'"
- Feitl, Steve. "BACK TO HIS ROOTS: Frank Edgar part of fight card in UFC's return to New Jersey", Home News Tribune, November 15, 2007. Accessed December 28, 2007. "After an accomplished wrestling career — one that saw him place twice at states while at Toms River High School East and qualify for nationals all four years as an All-American at Clarion University in Pennsylvania — Edgar chose to train for the combat sport that merges numerous disciplines from wrestling to jiu-jitsu to kickboxing."
- Lagomarsino, Andrew. "‘Hurt Locker’ star and N.J. native Brian Geraghty turns 'sociopath' at Tribeca Film Festival", NewJerseyNewsroom.com, April 28, 2010. Accessed December 15, 2011. "New Jersey native Brian Geraghty, who received acclaim for his performance in the Academy Award winning best picture "The Hurt Locker," is showing his versatility as an actor.The 34-year-old Toms River native who graduated from Toms River East High School in 1993 plays an insecure soldier in The Hurt Locker..."
- Christopher, Chris. "Ted Gillen - Back Where He Belongs", copy of article from Ocean County Observer, October 30, 2002. "Gillen has been around. He starred at Toms River East, helping the Raiders win the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association 1985 Group IV state title."
- Baldwin, Chris. "Jovanovic gets the call Dover Township bobsledder makes Olympics on USA 1", Asbury Park Press, December 16, 2001. Accessed December 15, 2011. "Pavle Jovanovic just knew his obsession was one huge leap closer. Jovanovic - a 24-year-old Toms River High School East graduate - has been named to the US Olympic bobsledding team, completing a stunning five-year journey."
- Chris Konopka, Providence Friars. Accessed April 8, 2008.
- Canavan, Tom. "Johnson takes reigns as Princeton coach", Ocean County Observer, April 21, 2007. Accessed June 5, 2007. "The only three-time basketball captain at Princeton, the 32-year-old Johnson replaces Joe Scott, a Toms River High School East graduate who resigned to take the head coaching job at the University of Denver shortly after the Tigers finished in last place."
- Administration, Toms River High School East. Accessed March 23, 2011.
- Toms River High School East website
- Toms River High School East's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Toms River Regional Schools, National Center for Education Statistics