Tonbridge and Malling (UK Parliament constituency)
|Tonbridge and Malling|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Tonbridge and Malling in Kent.
Location of Kent within England.
|Electorate||71,989 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Tonbridge, Edenbridge and West Malling|
|Member of Parliament||John Stanley (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Sevenoaks, Tonbridge|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Parliament did not alter any wards here at all, when approving the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies for the 2010 general election, so the seat has electoral wards:
- Borough Green and Long Mill, Cage Green, Castle, Downs, East Malling, East Peckham and Golden Green, Hadlow, Mereworth and West Peckham, Higham, Hildenborough, Ightham (//), Judd, Kings Hill, Medway, Trench, Vauxhall, Wateringbury, West Malling and Leybourne, and Wrotham (//) in the Borough of Tonbridge and Malling
- Cowden and Hever, Edenbridge North and East, Edenbridge South and West, Leigh (//), and Chiddingstone Causeway, and Penshurst, Fordcombe and Chiddingstone in the Sevenoaks District
Proposed changes 
At the Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies which commenced in 2011, the Boundary Commission for England has proposed splitting the existing seat into four parts, recreating a form of the historic Tonbridge constituency.
Under the proposals, the successor "Tonbridge" would incorporate Tonbridge, Hadlow, East Peckham, Golden Green, and the Low Weald area to the south of Maidstone. The Sevenoaks district components - Edenbridge, Leigh and Chiddingstone Causeway, Cowden, and Penhurst - are moved into a reformed Tunbridge Wells.
Constituency profile 
This safe Conservative seat is characterised by a large commuter population although significant light engineering, farming and local service industry sectors are represented alongside the public sector, skilled trades and some construction. It has good road and rail links with London. Visitor attractions in the constituency include the River Medway, the Eden Valley Walk which covers Edenbridge and Penshurst, including Hever Castle, Chiddingstone Castle, Penshurst Place and Tonbridge Castle. In this seat are numerous oast houses and remaining Wealden woodlands.
Workless claimants, registered jobseekers, were in November 2012 significantly lower than the national average of 3.8%, at 2.0% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament 
|Feb 1974||Sir John Stanley||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s 
|General Election 2010: Tonbridge and Malling|
|Liberal Democrat||Elizabeth Simpson||11,545||22.5||+3.0|
|National Front||Mike Easter||505||1.0||-|
|English Democrats||Lisa Rogers||390||0.8||-|
Elections in the 2000s 
|General Election 2005: Tonbridge and Malling|
|Liberal Democrat||John Barstow||8,980||19.5||+1.6|
|General Election 2001: Tonbridge and Malling|
|Liberal Democrat||Merilyn Canet||7,605||17.9||-1.3|
Elections in the 1990s 
|General Election 1997: Tonbridge and Malling|
|Liberal Democrat||Keith Brown||9,467||19.2||-4.3|
|Referendum Party||John Scrivenor||2,005||4.1||N/A|
|Natural Law||Gerard Valente||205||0.4||-|
|General Election 1992: Tonbridge and Malling|
|Liberal Democrat||Paul D. Roberts||14,984||23.5||−6.0|
|Labour||Mrs Margaret A. O'Neill||11,533||18.1||+5.0|
|Natural Law||Mrs Janet I.R. Horvath||221||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s 
|General Election 1987:Tonbridge and Malling|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||MJ Ward||17,561||29.4|
|General Election 1983:Tonbridge and Malling|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||F Freeman||16,897||31.2|
Elections in the 1970s 
|General Election 1979:Tonbridge and Malling|
|National Front||G Burnett||429||0.8|
|General Election October 1974:Tonbridge and Malling|
|General Election February 1974:Tonbridge and Malling|
See also 
Notes and references 
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Proposed map - Tonbridge Boundary Commission for England
- Proposed map - Tunbridge Wells Boundary Commission for England
- 2001 Census
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.