|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Tonekabon (Persian: تنكابن, also Romanized as Tonekābon; formerly, Shahsavar (Persian: شَهسَوار), also Romanized as Shahsavār and Shahsawār) is a city in and the capital of Tonekabon County, Mazandaran Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 43,128, in 13,087 families.
The township of Tonekabon (Shahsavar) exists along the Caspian Sea in the north and has common borders with the province of Qazvin from south. In its northern regions it has a moderate and humid climate and in the southern portions cold weather prevails. The main city is Tonekabon (Shahsavar), which is 257 km far from Tehran. The territory of Tonekabon was originally part of Gilan. Numerous evidences discovered in various parts of the region, indicate that it was a flourishing city in past. The ancient Tonekabon came under the realm of the Royan territory, also called Rostamdar. The Padusbanan held the power of this vicinity till the reign of Shah Abbas Safavid I. There after till the year 1209 AH. which was the beginning of the reign of Aqa Mohammad Khan Qajar, this city was known as Feiz. After downfall of this dynasty, the city was called Shahsavar, and after the 1979 Revolution the name was reverted to its original historic one, Tonekabon, once more.
A famous variety of orange, Shahsavari Orange, is grown in the city and is bears its former name. The other products of Tonekabon are kiwi fruit, rice and tea. Tonekabon (Shahsavar) has a semi tropical climate. The temperature is mild all the year. It has a very dense forest in dohezar and sehezar area (road). "Ghalegardan high lands" and "Dohezar valley" are most famous resorts of Tonekabon(Shahsavar).
- Mohammad-Vali Khan Tonekaboni (1846-1926) - politician
- Mohammad Zohari (1926-1995) - poet
- Moslem Bahadori (b. 1927) - pathologist
- Amrolah Saberi (b. 1941) - actor
- Simin Ghanem (b. 1944) - singer
- Parisa (b. 1950) - singer
- Shamseddin Hosseini (b. 1967) - politician
- Ladan Mostofi (b. 1972) - actress
- Kambiz Dirbaz (b. 1975) - actor
- Javad Asghari Moghaddam (b. 1979) - futsal player
- Mohammad Mokhtari (b. 1983) - football player
- Foad Manshadi (b. 1987) - musician
- Tonekabon can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3087648" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)" (Excel). Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tonekabon.|
- High quality photo gallery of Tonekabon
- Gallery of Tonekabon
- http://toniau.ac.ir/ Islamic Azad University of Tonekabon