||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Israel Folau . Gorden Tallis . Brent Kite|
18,426 (by ancestry, 2006)
7,579 (by birth, 2006).
|Regions with significant populations|
|Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne|
|Related ethnic groups|
A Tongan Australian is an Australian resident who is of ethnic Tongan descent from the nation of Tonga. The 2006 Australian census recorded that the majority of the Tongan Australians (4920 people) live in New South Wales, followed by Victoria (with 1190 people) and Queensland (1090). Sizeable Tongan communities are found in the cities of Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Despite there being relatively few Australians of Tongan descent, Tongan Australians have excelled in the football codes of Rugby League and Rugby Union as evidenced by the list of notable Tongan Australians which include:
- Israel Folau, tri-code footballer, being a Queensland State of Origin and Australian international Rugby League representative, AFL convert with GWS, and most recently Rugby Union convert with the NSW Waratahs Super 15 club
- Gorden Tallis, former Brisbane Broncos captain, and Queensland State of Origin and Australian International representative in Rugby League
- Viliami Ofahengaue, affectionately known as Willie O, former Wallaby number eight and Flanker with 41 caps between 1990 and 1998, including the 1991 and 1995 World Cups.
Notable Tongan Australians 
- Rodney Blake
- Jim Dymock
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Saia Fainga'a
- Israel Folau
- Solomon Haumono
- John Hopoate
- William Hopoate
- Toutai Kefu
- Brent Kite
- Willie Manu
- Willie Mason
- Viliami Ofahengaue
- Wycliff Palu
- George Smith
- Gorden Tallis
- Willie Tonga
- "20680-Ancestry (full classification list) by Sex - Australia" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2013-01-23. Total responses: 25,451,383 for total count of persons: 19,855,288.
- "20680-Country of Birth of Person (full classification list) by Sex - Australia" (Microsoft Excel download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2013-01-23. Total count of persons: 19,855,288.
- "Community Information Summary - Tonga-born" (pdf download). 2006 Census. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|