Toni Ståhl (right) versus Fredy Montero
|Full name||Toni Ståhl|
|Date of birth||11 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Tuusula, Finland|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Playing position||Defender, Defensive Midfielder|
|2010||→ Harrisburg City Islanders (loan)||1||(0)|
|2011–2013||Fort Lauderdale Strikers||64||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 July 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Early career in Finland
Ståhl attended high school at Pohjois-Haagan Yhteiskoulu, and was part of the youth teams of the most successful Finnish club of all time, HJK Helsinki. After his time at HJK, he had a short spell with the Second Division team Atlantis Akatemia in late 2002, before joining FC Espoo in 2003.
American college career
Ståhl accepted an invitation from the University of Connecticut to play college soccer in the United States, and he joined the Connecticut Huskies for the 2006 season. He was chosen as the Big East Rookie of the Year after his first season with the Huskies, after being the only freshman to start and play in all 19 games that season. In 2009 he was named Big East Midfielder of the Year as he concluded his career with the Huskies tallying two goals and nine assists. He was also a nominee in the semifinal stage for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy.
Ståhl was subsequently drafted in the second round (17th overall) of the 2010 MLS SuperDraft by Philadelphia Union. He was sent off on his MLS debut on 25 March 2010, in a game against Seattle Sounders FC. In April 2010 he played on loan with the Union's USL-2 affiliate Harrisburg City Islanders.
On 14 January 2011, the Union announced that they declined the option on Ståhl's contract and he subsequently became a free agent.
Ståhl signed with Fort Lauderdale Strikers of the North American Soccer League on 1 April 2011. Following an impressive debut season for the Strikers, Ståhl was named to the NASL 2011 Best XI Team as one of four defenders.
Statistics accurate as of 29 May 2013
|Harrisburg City Islanders (loan)||2010||USL-2||1||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||1||0|
|Fort Lauderdale Strikers||2011||NASL||22||0||—||—||5||0||—||—||27||0|
- UConn bio
- Innanen, Timo. "Tonin tuhkimotarina". Urheilulehti.
- Atlantiksen historia Atlantis FC.
- Uutiset 2003 FC Espoo at the Wayback Machine (archived December 14, 2003).
- Profile Detail | MLSDraft.net
- "UConn's Stahl named semifinalist for MAC Hermann Trophy". TopDrawerSoccer.com (Storrs, Connecticut). 3 December 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2009.
- "Suomalaisfutaajalle historiallinen sopimus USA:han". Urheilulehti (Helsinki, Finland). 8 December 2009. Retrieved 24 December 2009. (Finnish)
- 2010 MLS SuperDraft
- City Islanders Settle for Tie
- Union Decline Option on MF Stahl