|Born||September 2, 1957|
|Height||178 cm / 5' 10"|
|Weight||68 kg / 150 lb|
Tony Darden (born 2 September 1957) is a former American track and field athlete, who competed in the sprints events during his career. He is best known for winning the men's 400 metres event at the 1979 Pan American Games in San Juan.
At high school, Darden won multiple state championships and achieved national fame by recording national indoor records at 300 and 500 yards.
At Arizona State University, Darden was a key member of the track team, competing in the sprints and sprint relay, and helped the team to their first NCAA Championship in 1977. Also in 1977, Darden was a member of two Arizona State record-breaking relay teams. The first broke the 4x220 yards world best with a time of 1:21.7 in Austin, Texas on April 1 at the Texas Relays. The second broke the world record for the 4×200 metres with a time of 1:21.4 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 30 at the Penn Relays.
In 1979, Darden having finished second at the USA championships (see below) qualified for the Pan American Games. Willie Smith, as American No. 1, was expected to be the main rival to the legendary Cuban athlete Alberto Juantorena. In the end a foot injury and a problem with a shoe put paid to his chances, and it was an inspired piece of running by Darden that meant it was he who was to beat Juantorena into second.
Darden finished third in 400 m at the 1979 Athletics World Cup and anchored the United States 4×400 m relay team to victory. Darden received some criticism for his run in the individual event but ran a superb relay leg to redeem his reputation.
Darden never ran in an Olympics. As a high-school student he reached the quarter finals at the United States Olympic Trials in 1976. In 1980 though he finished 5th and so qualified for the 4×400 m relay squad the United States boycotted the 1980 Olympics.
Darden set his personal best (45.01) in the 400 metres on 21 June 1981 in Sacramento.
As of 2012, Darden was head coach for the Greater Norristown Police Athletic League track and field team.
|Year||World rank||US rank|
Darden was a very successful competitor at 400 m in the USA National Track and Field Championships between 1977 and 1984.:
Accolades and Awards
Darden had already been inducted into the Penn Relays "Relays’ Wall of Fame" in 1994 as a member of the winning 1977 Arizona State University 4x400 m relay team.
In 1989, Darden, along with the rest of the members of the 1977 sprint relay teams, was inducted into the Arizona State University Hall of Fame.
In 1990, Darden was inducted into the Norristown Area School District Hall of Champions.
- http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/c-track/archive/asu-c-track-accol.html Sun Devil Athletics, The Official Athletics Site of Arizona State University. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8_VNmSZANoEC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=tony+darden+norristown&source=bl&ots=90fDC3zU2I&sig=mfeS6ihLoRdDeUudZBRMG51HrOs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZXEFUfWnGoWJ0AW9lYHoAQ&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=tony%20darden%20norristown&f=false "Remembering Norristown", Stan Huskey, History Press, 2009, ISBN 978.1.59629.723.4. "The Names of Norristown" p 81.
- http://www.ptfca.org/fame.html 'Pennsylvania Track and Field Hall of Fame'. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1092526/index.htm 'It Was A Hell Of A Win For The Devils', Joe Marshall, Sports Illustrated, June 13, 1977.
- Progression of IAAF World Records 2011 Edition, Editor Imre Matrahazi, IAAF Athletics, p 137 and p 428.
- http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/c-track/archive/asu-c-track-mrec.html Men's Outdoor Records, Sun Devil Athletics, Arizona State University. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19790713&id=_fRdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=k18NAAAAIBAJ&pg=2428,1763093 "Jantorena out-kicked in Pan-Am 400 Meters", Associated Press, Observer-Reporter, Washington Pa, July 13, 1979.
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095172/index.htm 'Juantorena Gets Ambushed', Joe Marshall, Sports Illustrated, July 23, 1979.
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095300/index.htm Sports Illustrated, Kenny Moore, September 3, 1979.
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124770/3/index.htm "Fine Times Weren't Had By All", Kenny Moore, Sports Illustrated, September 14, 1981.
- http://www.usatf.org/statistics/champions/OlympicTrials/HistoryOfTheOlympicTrials.pdf The History of the United States Olympic Trials - Track & Field, R Hymans, USA Track & Field, 2008
- http://palteamspeed.org/TS_coachesPro.html Norristown PAL Team Speed Track and Field. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120220/SPORTS04/120229965 "TRACK AND FIELD: Greater Norristown track team, ‘Team Speed’ is ready to compete", Times Herald Staff, The Times Herald. February 20, 2012.
- http://norristown.patch.com/articles/the-mystery-of-the-missing-mayor "The Mystery of the Missing Mayor", Mark Marotta, NorristownPatch, August 22, 2011.
- http://articles.philly.com/2004-08-20/news/25393388_1_residency-issue-home-rule-charter-vetting "Controversy surrounds newly powerful leader Council President Tony Darden faces tough questions about vetting of borough officials and about where he really lives.", Keith Herbert, Inquirer Staff Writer, August 20, 2004.
- "World Rankings Index--Men's 400 meters". Track and Field News.
- "U.S. Rankings Index--Men's 400 meters". Track and Field News.
- http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/archive/results.jsp?sex=M&disciplineId=3&id=1 USA Outdoor Track and Field Champions, Men's 400 m, USA Track and Field.
- http://www.thepennrelays.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1720&ATCLID=1403965 2007 Penn Relays Wall of Fame Inductees Announced, The Penn Relays Office, April 17, 2007.
- http://news.pennrelaysonline.com/event-history/the-stars-of-the-relays/relays-wall-of-fame/ Relays’ Wall of Fame, Penn Relays.
- http://www.thesundevils.com/trads/hall-inductees-year.html ASU Hall Of Fame By Year Inducted, Sun Devil Athletics, Arizona State University.
- http://www.nasd.k12.pa.us/Page/555 Hall of Champions Inductees, Norristown Area School District.