February 12, 1984 |
Oxnard, California, United States
|Other names||El Cucuy|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Ventura, California, United States|
Knuckleheadz Boxing, Reign Training Center
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony Armand "Tony" Ferguson (born February 12, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the lightweight division for the UFC. Ferguson was the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos. As of May 11, 2015, he is the #12 contender in official UFC lightweight rankings and ranked the #9 lightweight in the world by Sherdog.
Ferguson grew up in Muskegon, MI, of Mexican heritage, As a southern California native living in a small Midwestern town, Ferguson’s father enrolled him in sports at a young age to help him make friends and fit into his new surroundings.
Ferguson took to athletics extraordinarily well, and went on to earn 12 varsity letters at Muskegon Catholic Central High School in football, baseball and wrestling. He was the starting defensive back on the 2002 state football champions and was a three-time All-State selection in wrestling, winning the 152 lbs division in 2002.
After high school, Ferguson enrolled at Central Michigan University before transferring to Grand Valley State University. He also did a stint at Muskegon Community College. He went on to garner All-American honors twice, winning the national championship in the 165 lbs division once.
Ferguson moved back to California to be closer to his extended family, working in marketing and sales during the day and picking up shifts as a bartender at night. One night while tending bar, a patron talked to him about his wrestling background and invited him to work with some young MMA fighters with their wrestling. Ferguson immediately fell in the love with the sport and hasn’t looked back since, devoting himself entirely to his MMA career.
Mixed martial arts career
The Ultimate Fighter
Ferguson had signed with the UFC in 2011 to compete on the The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos.
Ferguson was the third pick of Team Lesnar and the fifth overall. Ferguson was matched up with alternative, Justin Edwards, for his preliminary bout. After a back and forth first round, Edwards was able to take Ferguson down. But while on the ground, Ferguson landed a devastating upkick that knocked out Edwards. With the win, Ferguson moved on to the quarter-finals.
For his quarterfinal fight, Ferguson fought Ryan McGillivray, quickly earning the KO win after catching McGillivray with a short uppercut and following up with ground and pound. The win moved him into the semi-finals where he faced his teammate, Chuck O'Neil. Ferguson defeated O'Neil in the final episode via TKO in the third round, sending him to the finals to face Ramsey Nijem.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ferguson officially made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale against Ramsey Nijem to determine the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 13. Ferguson defeated Nijem via KO in the first round, making him the winner of the Ultimate Fighter Season 13. Ferguson also earned the Knockout of the Night bonus for his finish of Nijem.
Ferguson faced Aaron Riley on September 24, 2011 at UFC 135. While the fight was competitive early, Ferguson landed a strong left uppercut, and Ferguson dominated the remaining two minutes of the round. Immediately after the end of the first round, Riley told his corner that his jaw was broken. The fight was declared a TKO victory for Ferguson, as ringside doctors would not allow Riley to continue.
Ferguson was expected to face Dennis Hallman on May 5, 2012 at UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller. However, Hallman was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Thiago Tavares. However, Tavares was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Michael Johnson. Ferguson lost against Johnson via unanimous decision.
Ferguson was expected to face Danny Castillo on August 2, 2014 at UFC 176. However, after UFC 176 was cancelled, Castillo/Ferguson was rescheduled and took place on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177. Ferguson won the fight via split decision.
Ferguson was expected to face Yancy Medeiros on February 28, 2015 at UFC 184. However, Medeiros pulled out of the bout citing injury and was replaced by Gleison Tibau. He won the fight by submission in the first round, which also earned Ferguson a Performance of the Night bonus.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- PureCombat Welterweight Championship (One time)
- National Collegiate Wrestling Association
- Michigan High School Athletic Association
- Michigan High School Athletic Association
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|21 matches||18 wins||3 losses|
|Josh Thomson||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||18–3||Gleison Tibau||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 184||February 28, 2015||1||2:37||Los Angeles, California, United States||Performance of the Night|
|Win||17–3||Abel Trujillo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 181||December 6, 2014||2||4:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–3||Danny Castillo||Decision (split)||UFC 177||August 30, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||15–3||Katsunori Kikuno||KO (punch)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||1||4:06||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–3||Mike Rio||Submission (D'Arce choke)||UFC 166||October 19, 2013||1||1:52||Houston, Texas, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Loss||13–3||Michael Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||13–2||Yves Edwards||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale||December 3, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–2||Aaron Riley||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC 135||September 24, 2011||1||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||Return to Lightweight|
|Win||11–2||Ramsey Nijem||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale||June 4, 2011||1||3:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 13; Knockout of the Night|
|Win||10–2||Brock Jardine||TKO (punches)||PureCombat 12: Champions for Children||September 25, 2010||4||2:35||Clovis, California, United States||Won vacant PureCombat Welterweight Championship|
|Win||9–2||David Gardner||TKO (punches)||CA Fight Syndicate: Battle of the 805||March 26, 2010||2||N/A||Ventura, California, United States||Catchweight (158 lbs.)|
|Win||8–2||Chris Kennedy||TKO (doctor stoppage)||NFAMMA: Resurrection||December 18, 2009||1||2:29||Ventura, California, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Jamie Toney||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||NFAMMA: MMA at the Hyatt 3||October 16, 2009||1||2:15||Westlake Village, California, United States|
|Win||7–1||James Fanshier||Decision (unanimous)||Rebel Fighter||July 17, 2009||3||5:00||Placerville, California, United States|
|Win||6–1||Devin Benjamin||TKO (punches and elbows)||NFAMMA: MMA at the Hyatt II||May 28, 2009||1||N/A||Westlake Village, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Daniel Hernandez||TKO (punches)||NFAMMA: Riot at the Hyatt||March 5, 2009||1||2:22||Westlake Village, California, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Karen Darabedyan||Decision (unanimous)||All Star Boxing – Caged in the Cannon||February 6, 2009||3||3:00||Montebello, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Frank Park||Submission (triangle choke)||Long Beach Fight Night 3||January 4, 2009||1||2:43||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Joe Schilling||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Total Fighting Alliance 12||September 13, 2008||2||2:12||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Brandon Adams||TKO (punches)||TFA 11: Pounding at the Pyramid||July 12, 2008||2||2:18||Long Beach, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Steve Avalos||Submission (punches)||CXF: Anarchy at the Arena||April 12, 2008||2||1:25||Upland, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 173 Barao vs. Dillashaw". UFC.com. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- Ferguson video: TUF 13 bad guy found a brother in Lesnar – Cagewriter – UFC Blog – Yahoo! Sports. Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- "Tony "El Cucuy" Ferguson - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- "Grand Valley State University Student Life Sports - All Americans". gvsustudentlifesports.com. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. May 11, 2015.
- [dead link]
- The Ultimate Fighter 13 – episode 9 recap: Quarterfinals. Prommanow.com (2011-05-25). Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- Stupp, Dann. (2011-05-04) Episode No. 6 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 13: Team Lesnar vs. Team Dos Santos". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- Stupp, Dann. "UFC 135 preliminary-card results: Ferguson breaks Riley's jaw, Boetsch cruises". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Yves Edwards vs. Tony Ferguson added to December's The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale". mmajunkie.com. October 21, 2011.
- Becker, Dana. "Tony Ferguson-Dennis Hallman Planned For UFC On FOX 3". fightline.com. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Tavares replaces injured Hallman, faces Ferguson at UFC on Fox 3". mmajunkie.com. March 16, 2012. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- "Thiago Tavares out, Tony Ferguson now meets Michael Johnson on UFC on FOX 3". mmajunkie.com. March 29, 2012. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Tony Ferguson vs. Mike Rio added to UFC 166". mmajunkie.com. July 12, 2013. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Staff. "UFC 166 bonuses: Melendez, Sanchez, Dodson and Ferguson win $60,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- Staff (2014-03-03). "Tony Ferguson meets Katsunori Kikuno at UFC 173 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Staff (2014-06-11). "Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson booked for UFC 176 in August". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.
- Heidi Fang (2014-07-08). "Danny Castillo on being a part of a canceled fight card and Mendes’ frustrations". mmafightcorner.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Dana Becker (2014-09-24). "Tony Ferguson-Abel Trujillo added To UFC 181 lineup". fightline.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Staff (2015-01-13). "Lightweights Tony Ferguson vs. Yancy Medeiros added to UFC 184". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- C.J. Tuttle (2015-02-03). "Gleison Tibau replaces Yancy Medeiros, faces Tony Ferguson at UFC 184". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- Matt Erickson (2015-03-01). "UFC 184 bonuses: Of course Ronda Rousey won $50,000. But who joined her?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- Staff (2015-04-02). "Tony Ferguson-Josh Thomson Lightweight Bout Added to UFC Fight Night in San Diego". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-04-02.