|Occupation||Bridge player and writer|
|Genre||Non-fiction – contract bridge|
Anthony R. (Tony) Forrester (born 1953) is an English bridge player and writer. He is a British and English international and a World Bridge Federation World International Master. Forrester is a bridge columnist for The Daily Telegraph (since 1993) and The Sunday Telegraph (since 1996).
Forrester won the European Youth Team Championship in 1978 and the European Team Championship in 1991. The European Team Championship win was in partnership with Andrew Robson, with whom he played for seven years. The pair also won the Cap Gemini and the Sunday Times-Macallan. Around that time he was regarded, by the English Bridge Union, as England's number one player.
Playing for Rita Shugart's team, in 1998 he was the first Briton, with teammate Robson, to win a prestigious US Major, the Reisinger, and the same squad won the event a second time the following year. Forrester has won the US Board-a-Match Teams on two occasions, 1999 and 2013.
In 2014 he and Robson revived their partnership, and played together as part of the England team in that year's European Open Championship. The team finished third, thereby winning the bronze medal and qualifying for the finals of the 2015 World Championships.
Forrester has won the Gold Cup, the premier British teams competition, 13 times: in 1983, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013 and 2014, putting him first in the all-time list. He won the Spring Foursomes in 1983, 1996, 1999 and 2009.
- Forrester, Tony (1993). Secrets of Success (Faber Bridge Books). London: Faber and Faber.
- Forrester, Tony; Senior, Brian (1994). Over Your Shoulder: Learn from the Experts. Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-7638-5.
- Forrester, Tony (1994). Play Bridge at Home (Daily Telegraph). Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-7646-0.
- Forrester, Tony (1995). "Daily Telegraph" Improve Your Bridge at Home (Batsford Bridge). Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-7779-5.
- Forrester, Tony (1996). "Daily Telegraph" Winning Bridge at Home (Batsford Bridge). Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-7780-1.
- Forrester, Tony (1997). The Bridge Player's Bedside Book. R&L Yeatman. ISBN 978-0-905899-61-9.
- Forrester, Tony; Bird, David (1997). Secrets of Expert Cardplay. Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-8281-2.
- Forrester, Tony (1998). Vintage Forrester: Selected Writings from the "Daily Telegraph" (A Batsford bridge book). Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-8292-8
- Forrester, Tony; Bird, David (1999). Secrets of Expert Defence. Batsford Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7134-8330-7.
- Francis, Henry G., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Francis, Dorthy A., Editor, Sixth Edition (2001). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (6th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. p. 644. ISBN 0-943855-44-6. OCLC 49606900.
- "Tony Forrester England". World Bridge Federation. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Forrester, Tony". The Bridge Shop. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- Parker, Olivia (17 September 2013). "My perfect weekend: Tony Forrester, Telegraph bridge columnist". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Andrew Robson". English Bridge Union. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- 81st Fall North American Bridge Championships Daily Bulletin, Number 8, p11. Retrieved 7 August 2011
- Daily Telegraph, "Bridge News", 3 July 2014, p28.
- "Most Gold Cup Wins". Bridge Great Britain. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "The Spring Fours – The History". English Bridge Union. Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- "Brighton 2010 results". English Bridge Union. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- Tony Forrester international record at the World Bridge Federation.
- Tony Forrester at Library of Congress Authorities, with 0 catalogue records (?)