||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
27 November 1939 |
Manchester, Lancashire, England
|Occupation||Sports commentator, television presenter|
|Known for||Darts commentary|
A former player, who played county darts for Lancashire, he is the BBC's lead commentator for the annual World Professional Darts Championship staged at the Lakeside Country Club in Frimley Green, Surrey. In his capacity as a British Darts Organisation (BDO) official, he was a protagonist in the dispute which resulted in the formation of the rival governing body, the Professional Darts Corporation. He is also a former chair of the International Darts Players' Association (IDPA), the 'players' union' for those who remained with the BDO.
Green was best known as the announcer and co-host of the popular television darts quiz Bullseye, produced by Central for ITV, and returned in the new version of the show which aired from April 2006, produced by Granada for Challenge. He also reprised his role of 'scorer' on a special edition of Bullseye which aired as part of the Gameshow Marathon series and was broadcast on ITV1 on 19 May 2007.
On 18 May and 19 May 2007, Green co-hosted Challenge TV's coverage of the inaugural PDC US Open tournament.
Green also appeared on Channel 4's Meet Ricky Gervais, which ran for one series in 2000.
In December 2010, it was announced on the BDO website that Green had been diagnosed with cancer on the tongue and as a result would not be commentating on the forthcoming 2011 Lakeside World Darts Championship. Green had previously commented on the World Professional Darts Championship every year since its inception in 1978. Green was replaced by Vassos Alexander.
Green returned to commentary at the 2011 Winmau World Masters, and was back at Lakeside the following year alongside Alexander and David Croft, and continues to commentate regularly although he is no longer lead commentator having relieved this duty to Alexander who shares the role with Jim Proudfoot and John Rawling.
- "It's a Bullseye! And here's your host, Jiiiim Bowen..."
- "It's a Bullseye! And here's your host, Daaave Spikey..." (2006 series only)
- "Okay, take your time. Nice and easy. Nice and easy..."
- "That's a Bullseye..."
- "Iiiiin one!"
- "Ohhhhhh... that's the gamble I'm afraid"
- "Best o'luck!"
- "...and Bully's special prize..."
- "One Hundred and Eiiiighhtyyy"
- "Please take your time"
- "Settle in now!"
- "No rush!"
- "All time in the world"
- "We'd love you to win it"
- Waddell, Sid. Bellies and Bullseyes: The Outrageous True Story of Darts. Ebury Press. ISBN 0-09-191755-7.
- Tony Green tongue cancer https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other-sports/168566/Illness-forces-Tony-Green-to-rest