||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011)|
15 March 1947
Maryhill, Glasgow, Scotland
|Spouse(s)||Sally Wignall (m. 1989)|
Tony Osoba (born 15 March 1947) is a Scottish actor best known for his role as Jim 'Jock' McClaren in the popular '70s British sitcom Porridge, and appeared in its sequel Going Straight. Osoba was the first black Scottish actor to appear on primetime television when he appeared in the series.
Born in Maryhill, Glasgow, Scotland, he had an early ambition to design cars but when he realised that the employment opportunities in that field were limited he decided to become an actor after his Highers and trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. He then joined a theatre company in Richmond, toured abroad and was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
His other television roles include Det. Sgt. Charles 'Chas' Jarvis in Dempsey and Makepeace (1984-6) and Peter Ingram in Coronation Street (1990). He has also appeared in Space: 1999 (1976), The Professionals (1978), Charles Endell Esq (1979), Minder (1980), The Flame Trees of Thika (1981), Bergerac (1983), Between the Lines (1994) and Dinotopia (2002) as well as three appearances in Doctor Who in the stories Destiny of the Daleks (1979),Dragonfire (1987). and an upcoming story in the 2014 series.
In 2005, Osoba starred as the Kralahome in a UK touring production of The King and I. Recent credits include the 2007 film Tanner, as Superintendent Smith in Hollyoaks and Charlie Dokes in The Bill. In 2011 Osoba made a brief appearance in an episode of The Shadow Line.
Osoba has also appeared in one radio series, Space Force (1984–85), as Loderick Sincere.
- Porridge star Tony is back home to play it straight on stage Glasgow Evening Times, 27 September 2005
- Richard Webster, Dick Clement, Ian la Frenais (2001). Porridge The Inside Story. Headline Book Publishing. ISBN 0-7472-3294-6.
- Tony's on right side of the law Glasgow Evening Times, 13 September 1986
- BBC - Doctor Who Classic Series Episode Guide - Destiny of the Daleks
- BBC - Doctor Who Classic Series Episode Guide - Dragonfire
- Tony Osoba stars in lavish and sumptuous King and I Surrey Advertiser, 24 November 2005
- BBC Two Programmes - The Shadow Line, Episode 2
- Tony Osoba at the Internet Movie Database
- Tony Osoba at BFI Film & TV Database
- Official Website - http://www.tonyosoba.com