Tony Peña, Jr.
Vaqueros Laguna – No. 37
|Pitcher / Shortstop|
March 23, 1981 |
Santiago, Dominican Republic
|April 13, 2006 for the Atlanta Braves|
(through 2009 season)
|Runs batted in||66|
|Competitor for Dominican Republic|
|Central American and Caribbean Games|
|Bronze||2002 San Salvador||Team|
Tony Francisco Peña (born March 23, 1981 in Santiago, Dominican Republic) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the Vaqueros Laguna in the Mexican League. Pena played shortstop until the 2009 season, when he converted to pitching.
A non-drafted free agent, Peña was signed on July 21, 1999 by the Atlanta Braves. He made his big league debut with Atlanta on April 13, 2006. His first Major League hit came on April 21 at Washington against the Nationals. He appeared in 40 games for the Braves, batting .227 with a home run and three RBIs in 44 at-bats.
On March 23, 2007, Peña was traded to Kansas City for pitching prospect Erik Cordier. In Peña's first game as a Royal, he hit two triples. Peña finished 2007, his first full season, at .267/.284/.356 with two homers and 47 RBIs. He also hit seven triples and stole five bases.
Pena lost his job as a regular starter in the middle of 2008. From June through the end of 2008, Pena mainly entered games as a defensive replacement. Pena made his major league pitching debut on July 21, performing mop-up duty in a 19–4 blowout loss to the Detroit Tigers. He pitched a 1-2-3 inning with a strikeout of Iván Rodríguez. Pena made 75 plate appearances in 46 games through the last four months of the 2008 season and was designated for assignment by the Kansas City Royals on July 16, 2009.
On December 11, 2009, Peña, signed a minor league contract with the San Francisco Giants to try to be a pitcher and was placed with the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the Giants' AA team. On January 5, 2011, he signed a minor-league deal with the Boston Red Sox.
- "Notes: Tony Peña at www.retrosheet.org".
- "Royals acquire shortstop Tony Pena Jr. from Atlanta". MLB.com. March 23, 2007. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (March 23, 2007). "Braves get Royals' Cordier for Pena". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Kaegal, Dick (July 22, 2008). "Royals subjected to Tigers' revenge". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Kaegal, Dick (July 16, 2009). "Betancourt, Gordon coming off DL". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Gonzalez, Alden (December 11, 2009). "Giants ink righty Pena to Minors deal". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Browne, Ian (January 5, 2011). "Boston adds to catching depth with waiver claim". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.