|Full name||Anthony Puletua|
25 June 1979 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||192 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb)|
|2014–||Salford Red Devils||0||0||0||0||0|
|As of 20 July 2013|
Anthony (Tony) Puletua (born 25 June 1979 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer for St. Helens in the European Super League. A New Zealand and Samoan international, Puletua previously played for the Penrith Panthers in the National Rugby League competition. He primarily plays in the second row.
Puletua made his debut for the Penrith Panthers in 1997 and played at second row in the Panthers team which defeated the Sydney Roosters in the 2003 NRL Grand final. As 2003 NRL premiers, the Panthers travelled to England to face Super League VIII champions, the Bradford Bulls in the 2004 World Club Challenge. Puletua played at second-row forward in the Panthers' 22-4 loss. He was captain of the team from January, 2006. Puletua's brother, Frank, also played for the Penrith Panthers, retiring from professional rugby league on April 2011.
Puletua joined St. Helens at the end of the 2008 season on a three-year deal. Puletua was contracted to the Panthers until the end of the 2009 season. He was also a target for the St. George Illawarra Dragons.
Salford Red Devils
It was announced that Puletua will join the Salford Red Devils for the 2014 season.
Puletua represented the New Zealand national team on 22 occasions since 1998, including the 2000 World Cup. His last selection was for New Zealand against Australia in the ANZAC Test on the 20 April 2007 as a replacement for the injured David Kidwell.
Rugby League International Origin Match
- First Grade Debut: 1997 - Round 10, Penrith v Perth Reds at the WACA, 4 May
- Representative Debut: 1998 - Australia vs New Zealand, Suncorp Stadium, 9 October
- Premierships: 2003 - member of the Grand final winning Panthers team that defeated the Sydney Roosters, 18–6
- "Meet the Teams First Team Players". web page. Saints RFC. 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "St Helens bring in Kiwi Puletua". BBC. 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- "Dragons chasing Puletua". Fox Sports. 2008-03-21. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- "Penrith players in coaching meltdown". Fox Sports. 2008-03-29. Retrieved 2008-03-29.
- "Lewis set to become bunny". Fox Sports. 2008-04-02. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Samoa, Tonga and Fiji name squads". BBC. 2008-10-08. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- Poching names strong Samoan squad therhinos.co.uk, 6 October 2009
- Samoa call up new Salford star Tony Puletua skysports.com, 5 November 2013
- "Warrington dominate Exiles picks for Origin fixture". bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
- St Helens profile
- Tony Puletua Official Player Profile
- Tony Puletua NZRL Player Profile
- Warriors prop opts for Samoa