Tony Romano (ice hockey)
January 5, 1988 |
Smithtown, New York, USA
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|NHL Draft||178th overall, 2006
New Jersey Devils
Romano was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the sixth round (178th overall pick) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to the draft, Romano graduated from St. Anthony's High School on Long Island, and played for the New York Bobcats of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League, scoring 50 goals in the 2005–06 season. After being drafted, he spent the following year playing for Cornell University, where he led the team's rookies with a total of nine goals and ten assists.
Romano then went on to play for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League during the 2007–08 season, citing the switch in leagues due to his limited number of games played in Cornell. Romano didn't play well during this season, partially due to off-season shoulder surgery. Romano played for the Peterborough Petes in the following season, where he scored 36 goals in 65 games. He was the team's leading scorer for the season.
On June 30, 2009, Romano was traded from the New Jersey Devils to the New York Islanders in exchange for Ben Walter and a conditional 2012 draft pick. After being traded, Romano attended the Islanders' "mini-camp," where many of the younger Islanders players began training together. Regarding joining the Islanders, Romano said "I’ve put in a lot of time through the years. I’ve worked hard all my life, and to possibly be one phone call away from playing with them is a great feeling. I’m a hometown kid and this is the team I grew up idolizing. Pierre Turgeon was my favorite player, and I remember going to the game when they retired Bryan Trottier’s number. It’s just real comforting to be here and be close to home."
|2009–10||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||21||1||1||2||12||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||67||7||12||19||56||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||AHL||60||12||22||34||29||2||0||1||1||12|
- "Tony Romano". The Internet Hockey Database. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Tony Romano". New York Islanders. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "New center cleared for VIK" (in Swedish). VIK Västerås HK. 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- Arleo, Rich (2009-07-11). "Mini-Camp, Day 2: Romano Comes Hom". New York Islanders. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Tony Romano". hockeysfuture.com. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Cornell's Tony Romano Opts for OHL". insidecollegehockey.com. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "Islanders Trade For Smithtown's Romano". New York Islanders. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-25.
- "Tony Romano (RW)". Ontario Hockey League. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
- "BEN WALTER FOR TONY ROMANO OF SMITHTOWN NYI and NJD swap playmaking centers". islanderspointbank.com. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-26.