Tony Schwartz (The Energy Project)
Tony Schwartz is the president, founder, and CEO of The Energy Project. Schwartz is also a best-selling author and professional speaker with more than 30 years of experience in writing about and working with leaders and organizations to effect change.
Schwartz began his career as a writer in 1975 and spent 25 years as a journalist. Schwartz was a columnist for The New York Post, Associate Editor at Newsweek, reporter for The New York Times, and staff writer at New York Magazine and Esquire. In 1988, Schwartz co-authored the No. 1 worldwide best-seller The Art of the Deal with Donald Trump.
In 1999, Schwartz joined LGE Performance Systems, a training company, where he served as President until 2003. In the same year, Schwartz co-authored The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy Not Time with LGE chairman Jim Loehr. The book became a No. 1 Wall Street Journal best-seller and spent eight weeks on the New York Times best-seller list. It has been translated into 28 languages.
Schwartz founded The Energy Project in 2003 and launched The Energy Project Europe in 2005, with headquarters outside of London. The company’s clients have included Ernst & Young, Google, Nokia, Sony, Toyota, Gap, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Barclays Capital, Procter & Gamble, Ford, the National Security Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Los Angeles Police Department, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Coca-Cola, Kaiser Permanente, the Cleveland Clinic, Save the Children, Genentech, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Chubb Corp., Boehringer Ingelheim, Apple Inc., Microsoft, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Bayer, Nestle Purina, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, and Albemarle Corporation. He has delivered dozens of keynote addresses to audiences around the world and done leadership work and coaching with more than two dozen CEOs.
In October 2007, Schwartz’s article, “Manage Energy Not Time: The Science of Stamina,” which was co-authored with The Energy Project's former COO Catherine McCarthy, was published in the Harvard Business Review (HBR). The article describes the impact of The Energy Project curriculum on engagement and performance at three Fortune 500 companies. In June 2010, Schwartz published another article in the HBR called "The Productivity Paradox: How Sony Pictures Gets More Out of People by Demanding Less," which outlines how Sony Pictures transformed its organization by implementing The Energy Project's training. He currently has a regular blog in the HBR.
Schwartz's newest book, The Way We're Working Isn't Working: Fueling the Four Needs that Energize Great Performance, co-authored with The Energy Project Europe's Chairman, Jean Gomes, and Catherine McCarthy, was published in May 2010. It later was republished under the title Be Excellent at Anything: The Four Keys To Transforming the Way We Work and Live.
In February 2013, Schwartz's article, "Relax! You'll Be More Productive," was published in The New York Times. The article describes how taking regular renewal breaks will increase your productivity and performance.
June 1, 2014, Schwartz co-wrote the article, "Why You Hate Work"  with Georgetown University McDonough School of Business Associate Professor, Christine Porath. The article shares findings from a survey collaboration between Harvard Business Review (HBR) and The Energy Project in an effort to find out what makes people productive and engaged at work.
- The Art of the Deal with Donald Trump (Random House 1987)
- What Really Matters: Searching for Wisdom in America (Bantam, 1995)
- Risking Failure, Surviving Success with Michael Eisner (Random House, 1998)
- The Power of Full Engagement with Jim Loehr (Free Press, 2003)
- The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance (Free Press, 2010)
- Be Excellent at Anything: The Four Keys to Transforming the Way We Work and Live with Jean Gomes and Catherine McCarthy, Ph.D. (Free Press, 2010)
-  at The Energy Project
- Tony Schwartz, HBR Blog Network
- Biography at The Energy Project
- Amazon. amazon.com/Be-Excellent-Anything-Four-Transforming/dp/1451610262/. Retrieved 2014-06-11
- "Relax! You'll Be More Productive" - NYTimes.com. nytimes.com/2013/02/10/opinion/sunday/relax-youll-be-more-productive.html. 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2013-05-30
- More About DealBook - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com. Dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com. 2006-03-01. Archived from the original on 9 May 2010. Retrieved 2013-05-30
- Life@Work - DealBook - NYTimes.com. dealbook.nytimes.com/category/columnists/lifework/. 2013-05-17. Retrieved 2013-05-30
- "Why You Hate Work - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com/2014/06/01/opinion/sunday/why-you-hate-work.html. 2014-06-01. Retrieved 2014.11.14
- "Christine Porath - McDonough School of Business Faculty Profiles". explore.georgetown.edu/people/cp423/?PageTemplateID=319/. Retrieved 2014-06-11
- The Energy Project website
- Manage Your Energy Not Your Time, Harvard Business Review
- The Productivity Paradox: How Sony Pictures Gets More Out of People by Demanding Less, HBR
- The Way We're Working Isn't Working
- Relax! You'll Be More Productive, New York Times
- What I Learned From My Daughter's Wedding
- Podcast interview with Tony Schwartz
- Why You Hate Work