Tony Silva also known as Antonio H. Silva (born 1960 in Cuba) is an American ornithologist, aviculturist and the author of books and articles about parrots. From April 1989 until early 1993, he was curator of birds at Loro Parque, Tenerife, Canary Islands, the largest parrot park in the world. He has been heavily involved in the efforts to save the Spix's Macaw.
In Jan. 1992, in the culmination of "Operation Renegade," an international probe into bird smuggling conducted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Division of Law Enforcement from 1989–92, federal agents raided Silva's Chicago home, seizing a collection of rare and endangered birds held there in a basement aviary. In December, 1994, he and others were arrested and indicted for conspiracy to violate wildlife and customs laws, and tax evasion (see case No. 94-CR-760). In 1996, Silva pled guilty to tax evasion, was convicted and sentenced to 82 months in prison, fined $100,000 and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service during a three-year probationary term after his prison sentence. He was never Found Guilty or convicted of Smuggling Parrots.
This is an incomplete list of works by Tony Silva.
- Silva, T., & B. Kotlar (1981). Breeding Lovebirds. TFH Publications. ISBN 0-87666-831-7
- Silva, T., & B. Korlar (1982). Discus. TFH Publications. ISBN 9780866227698
- Silva, T., & B. Kotlar (1989). Conures. TFH Publications. ISBN 0-86622-739-3
- Silva, T. (1989). A Monograph of Endangered Parrots. Silvio Mattachione. ISBN 0-9692640-4-6
- Silva, T. (1991). Psittaculture: The Breeding, Rearing and Management of Parrots. Silvio Mattacchione. ISBN 0-9504165-2-5
- Silva, T. (1993). A Monograph Of Macaws and Conures. Silvio Mattacchione. ISBN 1-895270-01-4
- Silva, T., (1994). Breeding the Spix’s Macaw (Cyanopsitta spixii) at Loro Parque, Tenerife, International Zoo Yearbook 1994
- Silva, T., (1989). Vasa Parrots, American Cage Bird Magazine, October, 1989.
- Silva, T., (1991). The Hyacinth Macaw: Its Status and Captive Breeding, American Cage Bird Magazine 1991
- Silva, T., (1995). The Enicognathus Conures. On Wings Oct/Nov 1995 1:7
- Silva, T. (1991). A Monograph of Macaws and Conures, pages 77-94 (Spix's Macaw)
- "A Defender of Rare Birds". The New York Times. February 3, 1996. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- Lowther, Jason; Cook, Dee; Roberts, Martin (2002-08-05). Crime and Punishment in the Wildlife Trade (PDF). World Wildlife Fund. Retrieved 2007-09-09