Tony West (attorney)
|United States Associate Attorney General|
March 9, 2012
|Preceded by||Thomas Perrelli|
|Born||Derek Anthony West
August 12, 1965
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University
Derek Anthony "Tony" West (born August 12, 1965) is an American lawyer who currently serves as the Associate Attorney General of the United States, the third highest-ranking official in the United States Department of Justice. He was previously the Assistant Attorney General of the Department of Justice Civil Division.
Early life and education
Tony West was born in San Francisco, California, to parents Franklin and Peggy West. His father, the first person in his family to attend college, was born and raised in Georgia and worked for IBM; while his mother, who was a teacher, was born and raised in Alabama. West was raised in San Jose, California, where he lived with his two younger sisters; Pamela and Patricia. He attended Bellarmine College Preparatory, a Catholic, all-male, private secondary school, where he served as freshman class president, before graduating in 1983.
West received his Bachelor of Arts from Harvard University in 1987, where he served as the Publisher of the Harvard Political Review. In 1988, West began volunteering and working on political campaigns, engaging in Democratic political causes, such as working as the chief of staff to the Boston, Massachusetts treasurer of Michael Dukakis's presidential campaign. West also served as a finance director to the Democratic Governors Association, until 1989. He received his Juris Doctor from Stanford Law School in 1992, where he served as the President of the Stanford Law Review. While attending Stanford, he worked as a summer intern for Swidler Berlin Shereff Friedman in 1990. He also worked as a summer intern for Tuttle & Taylor, and Morrison & Foerster in 1991.
After graduating, West continued his work in Democratic politics, working as chief of staff to the finance chair of the California Democratic Party, while also working in private practice as an associate at the Bingham McCutchen San Jose office, from 1992 to 1993. In 1993, he joined the State Bar of California, and was admitted to the Superior Court of California and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
West then joined the Clinton administration in 1993, as a Special Assistant under Philip Heymann, the Deputy Attorney General of the United States Department of Justice, until 1994, when he was appointed as an Assistant United States Attorney (AUSA) for the Northern District of California. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, West prosecuted child sexual exploitation, fraud, narcotics distribution, interstate theft, and high tech crime. From 1999 to 2001, he was a Special Assistant Attorney General in the Office of the California Attorney General, under Bill Lockyer. From 2001 to 2009, he was a litigation partner at Morrison & Foerster LLP in San Francisco. He also served as the California co-chairman of Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
On July 25, 2013, the U.S. Senate confirmed West to be Associate Attorney General in a 98-1 vote. He previously had been serving as Acting Associate Attorney General.
In 1998, West ran for a seat on the San Jose City Council. In the primary, West's main challenger was Cindy Chavez, the staff director of Working Partnerships USA. He came in second to Chavez in the June 2nd primary, with 41.2% of the vote. With help from many labor groups and organizations backing Chavez's campaign, West was ultimately defeated, receiving 48% of the vote in the general election.
West also ran for the California State Assembly, for the 23rd district, in 2000. After incumbent Mike Honda ran for the U.S. House of Representatives, leaving a vacancy, West was one of six Democrats to run for the open seat. He was defeated in the primary, by San Jose City Councilman Manny Diaz; receiving 38% of the total votes cast.
- USDOJ: OASG: Meet the Acting Associate Attorney General
- "Tony West Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division of the Department of Justice (since April 2009)". washingtonpost.com. May 25, 2013.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary (March 10, 2009). "Testimony of Tony West". judiciary.senate.gov.
- Health Care Compliance Association (April 2011). "Meet Tony West Assistant Attorney General, Civil Division, United States Department of Justice". hcca-info.org.
- United States Department of Justice (May 23, 2013). "Acting Associate Attorney General Tony West Testifies Before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary". justice.gov.
- Phil Mattingly (April 9, 2013). "S&P Prosecutor’s Stalled Nomination Is Bump in Fast-Track Career". bloomberg.com.
- Wayne State University (February 23, 2013). "Wayne Law to host talk by U.S. Assistant Attorney General Tony West March 8". media.wayne.edu.
- 'United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary (November 16, 2012). "UNITED STATES SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY QUESTIONNAIRE FOR NON-JUDICIAL NOMINEES". judiciary.senate.gov.
- Sari Horowitz (February 27, 2012). "Justice Dept. lawyer Tony West to take over as acting associate attorney general". washingtonpost.com.
- United States Government Printing Office (April 20, 2009). "NOMINATIONS OF TONY WEST TO BE ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL; LANNY A. BREUER TO BE ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL; CHRISTINE ANNE VARNEY TO BE ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL". gpo.gov.
- American Bar Association (May 26, 2012). "TONY WEST". americanbar.org.
- United States Department of Justice (February 25, 2013). "Acting Associate Attorney General Tony West Speaks at the National Association of Attorneys General Winter/Spring Meeting". justice.gov.
- Obama Nominates Tony West to Fill No. 3 DOJ Post Full-Time | Main Justice
- Justice Dept. lawyer Tony West to take over as acting associate attorney general - Washington Post
- U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
- Scott Herhold (May 21, 2013). "Herhold: Whatever happened to Zuckerberg, Mt. Umunhum and the Golden Spigot?". mercurynews.com.
- "Member, City Council; City of San Jose, Municipal Election; District 3". smartvoter.org. June 2, 1998.
- Eric Johnson (June 10, 2009). "Tony West’s Triumphant Return". sanjoseinside.com.
- "City Offices for Santa Clara County, CA". smartvoter.org. November 3, 1998.
- Secretary of State of California (February 7, 2000). "Member of the State Assembly (by county within district)". sos.ca.gov.
- http://www.justice.gov/asg/meet-aag.html Biography Page on Department of Justice Website
|United States Associate Attorney General