|Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi|
April 24, 2014
April 16, 1978 |
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
|Alma mater||University of Southern Mississippi, Jackson State University|
|Occupation||pastor, elementary school principal|
Tony Tarzell Yarber is the mayor of Jackson, Mississippi. A native of Jackson and experienced city councillor, Yarber is noted for his passion for youth causes, and has been described as "a consensus builder".
Career and personal life
Yarber served as a committee member for Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and served on the Board of Directors for Relevant Ministries. Yarber is Pastor and Founder of the non-denominational Relevant Empowerment Church, started in 2008.
Yarber is a founding member of Alignment Jackson, a non-profit organization for improving student achievement.
He was the second Vice-President of the Mississippi Black Caucus Locally Elected Officials.
Yarber was elected to the Jackson City Council from Ward 6 in 2009. He became City Council Vice President in 2011, and President in 2012. In 2013, Yarber served as Chair of the Budget Committee, and the Education/Youth Ad Hoc Committee.
Yarber stated that his goals as mayor will be to improve customer service for residents, to attract new business while remaining committed to existing businesses, to work with statewide leaders and those in surrounding communities, and to treat everyone with respect. Yarber also discussed Jackson's potential for growth as an entertainment hub, and as a "medical corridor" (a regional health care center). Yarber stated, "I want you to know that we are going to run an administration that treats everyone right".
- Barnes, Dustin (April 22, 2014). "Yarber New Jackson Mayor". Clarion-Ledger.
- Lucas, Sherry (April 20, 2014). "Mayoral Race: Personal Profile of Tony Yarber". Clarion-Ledger.
- "Tony Yarber". City of Jackson, Mississippi. Retrieved April 2014.
- Ferretti, Haley; Nave, R.L. (April 23, 2014). "A Hands-On Tony Yarber Administration?". Jackson Free Press.
- "About the Mayor". City of Jackson. Retrieved April 2014.
- Barnes, Dustin (April 24, 2014). "Mayor Tony Yarber Preaches Plans for Jackson". Clarion-Ledger.