Too Young to Die?
|Too Young to Die?|
|Directed by||Robert Markowitz|
|Produced by||Susan Weber-Gold
Julie Anne Weitz
|Written by||David Hill
|Music by||Charles Bernstein|
|Release date||26 February 1990|
|Running time||92 min.|
Too Young to Die? is a 1990 television movie starring Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis. It touches on the debate concerning the death penalty. It is based on a true story. Three years later, Pitt and Lewis would reunite, portraying somewhat similar characters, in Kalifornia.
Cannaday (born September 8, 1965) was charged with robbery, kidnapping, and homicide. At the time of her trial, she was a sixteen year old divorcee, who had married at thirteen and divorced at fourteen. She was convicted in Harrison County Circuit Court of the kidnap and murder of U. S. Air Force Sergeant Ronald Wojcik and the jury sentenced her to death by lethal injection. The guilty verdict was upheld, but the sentence was reversed in 1984, Cannaday v. State, 455 So.2d 713, 720 (Miss. 1984), and she was resentenced to one life sentence and two 25-year sentences at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (inmate number 42451). She was released on parole on March 9, 2008.
Her co-defendant, David Randolph Gray (born May 29, 1954) was charged with aggravated assault, grand larceny, and homicide. He, too, was sentenced to death by lethal injection. His sentence was reversed in May 1987, by the U. S. Supreme Court, in Gray v. Mississippi, 481 U.S. 648, on the basis "a qualified juror was excluded from his trial". He is currently serving a life sentence in Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (inmate number 01440).
- Juliette Lewis - as - Amanda Sue Bradley
- Brad Pitt - as - Billy Canton
- Michael Tucker - as - Buddy Thornton
- Alan Fudge - as - D.A. Mark Calhoun
- Emily Longstreth - as - Jean Glessner
- Laurie O'Brien- as - Wanda Bradley Sledge
- Yvette Heyden - as - Annie Meacham
- Tom Everett - as - Judge Harper
- Michael O'Keefe - as - Mike Medwicki
- Dean Abston- as - Harvey Sledge
- J. Stephen Brady - as - Brian
- Mark Davenport - as - Mickey
- Lew Hopson - as - Star
- Annabelle Weenick - as - Birdie Jewel
- Charles C. Stevenson Jr. - as - Pastor
- Gray v. Mississippi, 481 U.S. 648 (1987). - Oyez Project - November 12, 1986
- Transcript: U.S. Supreme Court Oral Argument. - Gray v. Mississippi, 481 U.S. 648 (1987). - Oyez Project - November 12, 1986
- Gray v. Mississippi, 481 U.S. 648 (1987). - FindLaw: Cases and Codes
- Inmate 01440 - Mississippi Department of Corrections
- Kuncl, Tom, and Paul Einstein, (1990). - Ladies Who Kill. - New York, New York: Pinnacle Books. - ISBN 1-55817-249-1