StarSat, South Africa
|Founded||May 1, 2010|
|Products||Direct broadcast satellite|
|Footnotes / references
On Digital Media
StarSat, South Africa is a subsidiary of the Chinese satellite television provider, StarTimes, operating in South Africa that began broadcasting on 1 May 2010. StarSat is owned by On Digital Media, who were granted a pay-TV license by ICASA in September 2007. On Digital Media is 20% owned by TV satellite operator SES and 20% owned by China’s StarTimes. StarSat's service is aimed at the LSM 6-9 demographic, targeting middle class viewers. Until 31 October 2013, the service was known as TopTV.
On Digital Media (Pty) Ltd began broadcasting on 1 May 2010 as TopTV.
On 30 April 2013, shareholders of On Digital Media (ODM), StarSat's parent company, voted to approve StarTimes taking over a 20% share of ODM. By doing so, StarTimes effectively acquired a 65% economic interest in ODM. The vote also included adoption of a business rescue plan.
The StarSat brand replaced TopTV and was officially launched on 31 October 2013. The new packages and channels associated with the new brand were made available on 1 December 2013, with an apparent focus on Chinese TV channels and Chinese-sourced content.
Broadcast and Reception
StarSat services are broadcast via satellite, using the SES' 4A craft at the 5°E orbital position, and three of the six 36 MHz transponders in the 'Sub Saharan Africa Ku-band' beam providing coverage of the whole sub-Saharan Africa region. Transmissions are in the DVB-S2 MPEG-4 digital TV format with reception using a simple set-top box, with a PVR receiver slated for later in 2011.
- Astra 4A broadcasting satellite
- Astra 5°E orbital position
- SES satellite operator
- Astra satellite family
- SES Platform Services
- "TopTV Launch - Rise Up South Africa!" (Press release). On Digital Media. 29 April 2010. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "On Digital Media website". Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- de Lanerolle, Indra (2011). "Convergence and regulation in South Africa: in search of a new public interest paradigm". info 13 (3): 47–63.
- "More delays in store for TopTV as shareholders head to court". City Press. 22 October 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Goodbye TopTV, Hello StarSat" (Press release). TVSA. October 31, 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "About Us". StarSat. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "TopTV changes name to StarSat". City Press. 19 November 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Astra 4A". SES. Retrieved January 26, 2012.