Top Chef (season 2)
|Top Chef: Los Angeles|
Tom Colicchio, Padma Lakshmi, and Gail Simmons, along with the chefs participating in Top Chef 's second season
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Original run||October 18, 2006– January 31, 2007|
|Filming dates||August 10, 2006– December 16, 2006|
|No. of chefs||15|
|No. of tasks||13|
Top Chef: Los Angeles is the second season of American reality television series Top Chef and was filmed first in Los Angeles, California, and concluded in Waikoloa Village, Hawaii. The season premiered on Bravo on October 18, 2006 and ended on January 31, 2007. Padma Lakshmi took over as host, with Tom Colicchio and Gail Simmons returning as judges. Filming began in Westwood, near UCLA in Los Angeles, on August 10, 2006. The number of contestants expanded from 12 to 15. The prize money awarded to the Top Chef was $100,000. The winning recipe from each week's episode is featured on Bravo's Top Chef website and prepared by Season 1 contestant Lee Anne Wong in a web video called The Wong Way to Cook. Bravo cited negative viewer reaction to the reunion episode of season one as the reason why no reunion episode was filmed for season two.
- 1 Judges, guest judges and special appearances
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Contestant Progress
- 4 Episodes
- 4.1 Episode 1: Into the Fire
- 4.2 Episode 2: Eastern Promise
- 4.3 Episode 3: Food for the People
- 4.4 Episode 4: Less is More
- 4.5 Episode 5: Social Service
- 4.6 Episode 6: Thanksgiving
- 4.7 Episode 7: The Raw and the Cooked
- 4.8 Episode 8: Holiday Spirit
- 4.9 Episode 9: Seven
- 4.10 Episode 10: Unhappy Customers
- 4.11 Episode 11: Sense and Sensuality
- 4.12 Episode 12: Hawaii Finale, Part 1
- 4.13 Episode 13: Hawaii Finale, Part 2
- 5 References
- 6 Contestant and judge sites
- 7 Notable Media & News Coverage
Judges, guest judges and special appearances
- Harold Dieterle (Ep. 1 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Hiroshi Shima (Ep. 2 Quickfire)
- Ming Tsai (Ep. 2 Elimination)
- Stephen Bugarelli (Ep. 3 Elimination)
- Suzanne Goin (Ep. 4 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Michelle Bernstein (Ep. 5 Quickfire and Elimination, Ep. 13 Elimination)
- Anthony Bourdain (Ep. 6 Elimination)
- Raphael Lunetta (Ep. 7 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Kristen Woodward (Ep. 8 Quickfire)
- Lee Hefter (Ep. 8 Elimination)
- Ted Allen (Ep. 8 Elimination, Ep. 9 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Roberto Ivan (Ep. 9 Elimination)
- Mike Yakura (Ep. 10 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Eric Ripert (Ep. 11 Quickfire and Elimination)
- Alan Wong (Ep. 12 Elimination)
- Scott Conant (Ep. 13)
- Wylie Dufresne (Ep. 13)
- Hubert Keller (Ep. 13)
- Roy Yamaguchi (Ep. 13)
15 chefs competed in Season 2. Names and hometowns below are from the Bravo website. Ages listed are at the time of the Top Chef: Los Angeles taping in August, 2006. In the order eliminated:
- Suyai Steinhauer, 29 — Resides in: New York City, New York
- Otto Borsich, 46 — Resides in: Las Vegas, Nevada
- Emily Sprissler, 30 — Resides in: Las Vegas, Nevada
- Marisa Churchill, 28 — Resides in: San Francisco, California
- Josie Smith-Malave, 31 — Resides in: Brooklyn, New York
- Carlos Fernandez, 36 — Resides in: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Frank Terzoli, 39 — San Diego, California
- Mia Gaines-Alt, 32 — Oakdale, California
- Betty Fraser, 44 — Los Angeles, California
- Michael Midgley, 28 — Stockton, California
- Cliff Crooks, 28 — West Caldwell, New Jersey
- Elia Aboumrad, 23 — Las Vegas, Nevada
- Sam Talbot, 28 — New York, New York -- Fan Favorite
- Marcel Vigneron, 26 — Las Vegas, Nevada -- Runner-up
- Ilan Hall, 24 — New York City, New York -- Winner
Credit order: Josie, Otto, Sam, Elia, Frank, Emily, Cliff, Betty, Marcel, Michael, Mia, Marisa, Carlos, Ilan, Suyai.
|Contestant||1||2||3||4 2||5||6 4||7||8||9 6||10 7||11||12||Finale|
^Note 1 : Otto bowed out voluntarily before Lakshmi eliminated anyone, deciding that his misconduct over the unpaid lychees contributed the most to his team's loss.
^Note 2 : After allegations of cheating, the judges decided not to eliminate anyone.
^Note 3 : Josie and Marisa were both eliminated, who worked as a team in this challenge.
^Note 4 : There were 5 winners in the Quickfire Challenge. These winners did not compete in the Elimination Challenge.
^Note 5 : Mia quit voluntarily before Lakshmi eliminated anyone, fearing Elia would be eliminated.
^Note 6 : Starting with this episode, Quickfire Challenge wins no longer confers immunity from losing the Elimination Challenge.
^Note 7 : There was no winning team in the Elimination Challenge. The bottom 3 was based on each chef's individual performance.
^Note 8 : Cliff was disqualified for aggressive physical contact with Marcel.
^Note 9 : Since Cliff was disqualified no one else was eliminated going into the finale, however Marcel and Elia had the weaker two of the four dishes in the challenge.
- (WINNER) The chef won the season and was crowned Top Chef.
- (RUNNER-UP) The chef was a runner-up for the season.
- (WIN) The chef won that episode's Elimination Challenge.
- (HIGH) The chef was selected as one of the top entries in the Elimination Challenge, but did not win.
- (LOW) The chef was selected as one of the bottom entries in the Elimination Challenge, but was not eliminated.
- (OUT) The chef lost that week's Elimination Challenge and was out of the competition.
- (IN) The chef neither won nor lost that week's Elimination Challenge. They also were not up to be eliminated.
- [IN (+)] The chef won a pair or team challenge but was not chosen as one of the judges' favorites.
- [IN (-)] The chef lost a pair or team challenge but was not selected as one of the judges' least favorites.
- (WD) The chef voluntarily left the show.
- (DQ) The chef was disqualified and was asked to leave the show.
Each episode includes two challenges. The Quickfire Challenge is a short, simple challenge with a varying reward each week. The Elimination Challenge is a more complex challenge that determines who goes home. One or more guest judges join the show each week to evaluate both the Quickfire and Elimination challenges. Each week's elimination is announced in a segment called "Judges' Table."
Episode 1: Into the Fire
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create a flambé dish in a limited amount of time. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- Top 3- Betty, Emily, Sam
- Bottom 3- Carlos, Elia, Suyai
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs are required to prepare a dish using all the ingredients in a closed crate to be served to the other Top Chef contestants.
- Guest Judge: Harold Dieterle
- Original Airdate: October 18, 2006
Episode 2: Eastern Promise
- Quickfire Challenge: Each chef must create a sushi dish in a limited amount of time. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- WINNER: Cliff (Hama Hama Oysters w/ Ginger, Soy, Mango, & Jalapeño and Spot Prawns w/ Hamachi & Daikon)
- Elimination Challenge: All of the contestants split into Team Vietnam and Team Korea to prepare two dishes using the flavors of the team's country to serve at a charity fundraiser for 1,000 people
- Summer Roll w/ Pickled Watermelon
- Pork Pho w/ Carrots
- Cucumber & Aloe Refresher
- Spicy Braised Pork w/ Kimchi, Sticky Rice, & Lotus Chip
- Jasmine Tea Panna Cotta w/ Tapioca and Candied Tarro Chip.
- WINNING TEAM: Team Vietnam (Sam, Betty, Mia, Carlos, Josie, Michael and Emily)
- WINNER: Betty
- CONCEDED: Otto
- Guest Judges: Hiroshi Shima, Ming Tsai
- First aired October 25, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: The winner receives a limited-edition Kyocera KT-300-HIP Kyotop 8.25" ceramic sashimi knife.
- Otto voluntarily withdrew from the show. As Team Korea loaded up their SUV with groceries, Marisa heard Otto say that he thought that the store cashier neglected to ring up a case of lychees. She later revealed this to Colicchio, who made Otto take them back to the store. Otto returned to complete the Elimination Challenge, but announced he was withdrawing from the competition during the "Judges' Table" segment.
Episode 3: Food for the People
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create an original ice cream flavor and serve it at the Redondo Beach Seaside Lagoon. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- WINNER: Cliff (Vanilla Ice Cream w/ Cookies, Graham Crackers, and Marshmallows)
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs have to make a dish updating a "childhood classic" to fit the menu of T.G.I. Friday's that will be served to the firemen of South Pasadena.
- WINNER: Betty (Grilled Cheese w/ Portabello Mushrooms and Roasted Red Pepper Soup)
- ELIMINATED: Emily (Super Slamming Surf & Turf w/ Skirt Steak and Shrimp)
- Guest Judge: Stephen Bugarelli
- Original Airdate: November 1, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: The winning entrée will be featured nationwide on the menu of T.G.I. Friday's. (Note: Betty's winning dish has been placed on TGI Friday's menu but renamed "Tuscan Portobello Melt.")
- During this quickfire challenge, Betty suffered a dry ice burn that required medical attention.
Episode 4: Less is More
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create an amuse bouche dish using $10 of ingredients from a vending machine. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- Top 3- Carlos, Frank, Ilan
- Bottom 2- Michael, Mia
- WINNER: Carlos (Sunflower Seed and Carrot Loaf with Cilantro, Sesame Seed and Squirt)
- Elimination Challenge: The 12 chefs are divided into four teams and are required to create a meal that does not exceed 500 calories (2,100 kJ) to serve at a camp for diabetic and overweight children.
Team Black (Betty, Frank, Marcel)
- Sausage & Cheese Pizza
- Fresh Fruit Skewers
- Crispy Chocolate Cookie with Banana and Peanut Butter Drizzle
- Berry Lemonade
Team Red (Marisa, Mia, Mike)
- BBQ Chicken Skewers with Cole Slaw
- Grilled Vegetables
- Old Fashioned Fudge Cake
Team White (Elia, Ilan, Josie)
- Chicken Parmesan
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Berryrific Cheesecake
Team Orange (Carlos, Cliff, Sam)
- Turkey Meatballs
- Zucchini, Tomato Sauce and Roasted Corn
- Fruit Smoothie with Graham Cracker Crumbles
- WINNING TEAM: Team Black
- WINNER: Frank
- ELIMINATED: None
- Guest Judge: Suzanne Goin
- Original Airdate: November 8, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: A cookbook written by Goin and an opportunity to collaborate on one of Goin's famed Sunday supper menus for her Lucques restaurant.
- At the judges' table, the losing teams made allegations regarding the "bending" or "breaking" of the rules in the elimination challenge by a member or members of the winning team. Sam stated that he saw people excessively squirting bottles of olive oil, but refused to say names. Mia stated that Betty had used sugar instead of Splenda; a claim that Betty herself later confirmed, explaining that she thought she had not violated the rules because her team would still be under the 500 calories (2,100 kJ) limit. However, the other contestants understood that the rules required that once the calorie calculations had been completed by the nutritionists, the recipes could not be further modified. As a result, Colicchio stated that all the contestants would remain "on probation" and no one was eliminated in this episode.
Episode 5: Social Service
- Quickfire Challenge: Each chef must create a dish using offal, the leftover parts of animals.
- Top 3- Cliff, Ilan, Sam
- Bottom 2- Elia, Josie
- Elimination Challenge: Working in teams of two, the chefs have to create a six-course lunch for Jennifer Coolidge and 60 of her guests using only the ingredients that already available in the kitchen.
- 1st Course: Marcel and Frank (Duo of Salmon, Tartare and Mousse with Red and Gold Beets)
- 2nd Course: Cliff and Sam (Seared Diver Scallops and Seared Foie Gras with a Fig Gastrique)
- 3rd Course: Ilan and Michael (Lobster, Shrimp and Mushroom Paella, Fried Softshell Crab)
- 4th Course: Betty and Mia (Pan-Seared Duck with Puff Pastry, Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans)
- 5th Course: Josie and Marisa ("The Awakening Trio": Prickly Pear and Coconut Soup, Fennel and Apple Salad, Sautéed Pineapple Salad)
- 6th Course: Elia and Carlos (A Trio of Desserts: Chilled Pomegranate and Orange Juice with Basil, Phyllo and Marscapone Napoleon, Apple or Pineapple Sorbet with Pistachio)
- WINNER: Ilan
- ELIMINATED: Marisa and Josie
- Guest Judge: Michelle Bernstein
- Original Airdate: November 15, 2006
- Elimination Challenge Prize: An opportunity to work with Bernstein at the Sagamore Hotel in Miami on the Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
- During deliberation, the judges could not determine whether Marisa or Josie was more responsible for the outcome of their dish. Because both claimed equal responsibility, the judges sent both of them home.
Episode 6: Thanksgiving
- Quickfire Challenge: The remaining chefs must create a dish using three different canned foods in 15 minutes. The winners of the quickfire challenge get to skip the elimination challenge altogether and receive immunity.
- Sam (Garbanzo and Beet Salad, Crunchy Anchovies with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette)
- Mia ("15 Minute Salad": Garbanzo Beans, Green Beans, Artichoke Hearts and Mint)
- Ilan (Spinach and Cannellini Bean Salad, Roasted Potatoes and Vienna Sausages)
- Cliff (Potato Salad, Anchovies and Mandarin Oranges)
- Frank (Fruit and Coconut Salad with Blueberry Yogurt Cream)
- Elimination Challenge: The five chefs who did not win the Quickfire Challenge must work together to make a cutting edge Thanksgiving dinner for the judges and other Top Chef contestants, using the kitchens in the loft.
- Amuse Bouche: Turkey and Egg Toast Canapé (Michael)
- First Course: Salad with Chipotle Peppers, Queso Fresco, Pumpkin Seeds, Butternut Squash Dressing (Carlos)
- Second Course: Portobello and Button Mushroom Creme Soup with Walnuts (Elia)
- Third Course: Turkey Roulade with Stuffing and Cranberry Gelee (Marcel)
- Fourth Course: Twice Baked Potato with Shrimp, Parsnip Mashed Potatoes and Corn with Parmesan (Michael)
- Fifth Course: Chai Pumpkin Creme Brulee, Chocolate Hazelnut Creme Brulee and a Shot of Coffee (Betty)
- Sixth Course: Cheese Plate: Applewood Cheddar, Gouda, Port Salut, Parmesan and Brie (Michael)
- WINNER: Elia
- ELIMINATED: Carlos
- Guest Judge: Anthony Bourdain
- Original Airdate: November 22, 2006
Episode 7: The Raw and the Cooked
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create an entrée using fresh ingredients from the Redondo Beach Farmers' Market without cooking of any kind. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs are told by Padma that they must prepare breakfast for athletes. The cooking environment and available tools are unknown to the contestants until their arrival at the challenge. In the challenge, the chefs must cook for surfers at dawn on the beach using only a fire pit and basic kitchen tools.
- WINNER: Elia ("Organic Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner": Waffle with Ham, Cheese and Fried Eggs)
- ELIMINATED: Frank (Zucchini and Salmon Scramble, Cannoli Cream with Strawberries and Holland Waffle)
- Guest Judge: Raphael Lunetta
- Original Airdate: December 6, 2006
Episode 8: Holiday Spirit
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs are required to make a Bailey's Irish Cream mix drink and an accompanying dish. The winner gets immunity from elimination.
- WINNER: Cliff (Original Bailey's, Rum, Vodka and Vanilla Bean Accompanied by Grilled Sliced Beef, Creme Fraiche Fondue, Nutmeg and Dark Chocolate)
- Elimination Challenge: Working in two teams of four, the chefs must cater the Los Angeles magazine holiday party at the Warner Bros. movie lot.
Black Team (Cliff, Elia, Mia, Mike)
- "Surf & Turf Canape": Lobster Medallion with Filet Mignon and Herb Salad
- Seared Scallops with Belgian Endive and Ginger-Grapefruit Marmalade
- Smoked Salmon with Avocado Mousse
- Strawberries with Rosemary Mascarpone and Pancetta Brunoise
Orange Team (Betty, Ilan, Marcel, Sam)
- Cinnamon Croissant Bread Pudding with Two Chocolates and Almond Cream
- Pickled Mussels with Apple Molasses Mignonette
- Sesame Shrimp Skewers
- Vegetable Terrine
- Confit of Pork Shoulder with Tomato Marmalade
- Chorizo and egg tostada
- Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese
- Calamari with Dip
- Crab Cake with Spicy Fire Roasted Corn and Pasilla Relish
- Cauliflower a la Plancha Croquetas
- Mushroom Tart
- Salmon Mousse
- WINNING TEAM: Orange Team
- WINNER: Sam
- CONCEDED: Mia
- Guest Judges: Kristin Woodward, Lee Hefter
- Original Airdate: December 13, 2006
- Elimination Challenge prize: A 20-piece set of Global knives.
- Mia voluntarily withdrew from the competition during the judges' table segment, believing that she was saving Elia from elimination. Her decision at the judges' table was preceded by a monologue by Mia who expressed her anger and frustration with Cliff's attitude toward her.
- Teaser advertisements for this episode showed a cameo of Season 1 contestant Stephen Asprinio, but he is not shown in the aired episode. The video clip with Asprinio was included as bonus material on the Top Chef website.
- Actor Nate Torrence had a cameo in this episode. He is one of the many party guests who go to Team Black's table.
Episode 9: Seven
- Quickfire Challenge: Each chef draws a knife that shows a different color. The chefs must then create a dish based on the color drawn from the knife block.
- Top: Cliff, Michael, Sam
- Bottom: Betty, Ilan, Marcel
- WINNER: Michael (Orange: Sushi Rice with Salmon and Carrot Chips)
- From this point on, immunity is no longer awarded to the winner of a Quickfire Challenge.
- WINNER: Michael (Orange: Sushi Rice with Salmon and Carrot Chips)
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs must prepare a seven-course meal, with each course representing one of the Seven Deadly Sins. The sins were drawn from the knife block, but Michael, as the Quickfire winner, was given the opportunity to swap his sin, Lust, for Marcel's Envy. Debi Mazar makes a guest appearance, and her favorite chef in LA Roberto Ivan, from Piccolo in Venice, appears as the guest judge.
- Sam: Wrath — Spicy Shrimp Ceviche with Chili Pepper Popcorn
- Betty: Sloth — A Trio of Vegetable Soups: Carrot and Fennel, Red Pepper and Beet, White Onion
- Michael: Envy — Trout and Salmon with Lemon-Thyme Beurre blanc, Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Cliff: Greed — Bouillabaisse with Clams, Oysters and Scallops in a Thai Curry Broth
- Elia: Pride — Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
- Marcel: Lust — Cherry Tart with Cherry Gelee and Cherry Foam, Whipped Cream and Chocolate
- Ilan: Gluttony — Rich Decadent Chocolate Cake with Fried Funnel Cake
- WINNER: Michael
- ELIMINATED: Betty
- Guest Judge: Roberto Ivan
- Original Airdate: January 3, 2007
- The episode's initial airing ran for an hour and fifteen minutes, rather than the usual hour. The extended version showed Marcel sharply telling Betty to hold service on his dish after she announced she was going to begin service. Prior to Marcel's comment to Betty, an off-screen voice can be heard saying that they were not ready yet and an off-screen contestant can also be heard confirming that they were holding service. The other contestants refused to assist Marcel with service until he apologized to Betty, which he did. The condensed version of this episode cut out the other contestants refusing to help Marcel, but still showed him snapping at Betty and his subsequent apology.
Episode 10: Unhappy Customers
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create a snack using three Kraft Foods products: mayonnaise, barbecue sauce or Italian dressing.
- Elimination Challenge: Divided into two teams, the contestants must devise a concept, interior design and menu for a raw restaurant space. Sam and Marcel, as the Quickfire winners, chose their teams. This elimination challenge is similar to Restaurant Wars of Season One.
- Lalalina (Italian Family Style): Sam, Mike, Ilan
- M.E.C. (Upscale Diner): Marcel, Elia, Cliff
- Course 1: Barbecue Coffee Chicken Wing
- Course 2: Tempura Vegetables and Mozzarella with Cornichon Aioli
- Course 3: "The Best Burger Ever" with House Made Chips
- Course 4: Oreo Lemon Pie
- WINNER: None (Marcel's dish was selected as the featured dish on Bravo's Web site)
- ELIMINATED: Michael
- Guest Judge: Mike Yakura
- Original Airdate: January 10, 2007
Episode 11: Sense and Sensuality
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs have to prepare a dish using Nestlé chocolatier products.
- WINNER: Sam (Shrimp and Banana with Chocolate Chipotle, Black Bean and Cilantro Pesto Sauces)
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs must work together to create a romantic 5-course menu for celebratory couples in Santa Barbara. Sam, as the Quickfire Challenge winner, was allowed to choose which course he wanted to execute and which proteins he was going to use. The remaining contestants were not allowed to use the same proteins that Sam chose. Sam elected to cook the first course and use lobster and scallops as his proteins.
- Course 1 (Sam): Seared Scallops with Lobster Plum Sauce and Beets
- Course 2 (Ilan): Fideos with Clams and Saffron
- Course 3 (Marcel): Salmon with Celeriac and Beets
- Course 4 (Cliff): Sirloin with Lentil Puree
- Course 5 (Elia): "The Kiss": Chocolate Mousse with a Chocolate Heart served on a Pastry Heart
- WINNER: None (Ilan's dish was selected as the featured dish on Bravo's Web site)
- ELIMINATED: None
- DISQUALIFIED: Cliff
- Hazing Incident: After the Elimination Challenge, but before the Judges' Table segment, Cliff, Elia, Ilan and Sam got drunk and decided to forcibly shave Marcel's head. Cliff approached a sleeping Marcel and wrestled him to the ground. Marcel freed himself from Cliff's hold and slept in a bathroom. Ilan videotaped the incident with a video camera borrowed from production and can be heard in the recording encouraging the other contestants to use the clippers on Marcel. This sequence shows Ilan and Elia shaving their heads before deciding to shave Marcel's. However the editing is misleading as Elia is shown briefly with a full head of hair in the background as Cliff wrestles Marcel. The next day, Cliff was disqualified from the competition, as the show's rules expressly forbid contestants to touch one another in an aggressive manner. However, it is mentioned that during the judges' deliberation that Cliff's dish is the weakest of all five, and that he likely would have been eliminated at the Judges' Table anyway. Tom Colicchio said in his blog post for the episode that he was willing to send home all of the contestants involved except for Marcel, holding them all accountable either for their actions that escalated the situation, or their decision not to speak up for Marcel while he was calling for help. But the producers stepped in, not wanting to end the season on a sour note - without a final competition and with what would've been an anticlimactic ending giving the title of Top Chef to Marcel by default.
- Guest Judge: Eric Ripert
- Original Airdate: January 17, 2007
Episode 12: Hawaii Finale, Part 1
- Elimination Challenge: Each chef must make two dishes based on classic Hawaiian dishes with a twist. Each chef must combine their signature style with traditional Hawaiian flavors and cuisine.
- FINAL TWO: Marcel (Hamachi Poke with Pineapple Poi; Salmon Lomi Lomi with Tomato Foam, Scallion Oil, Chili Water and Lotus Root Chip) and Ilan (Morcilla and Squid Laulau; Saffron Haupia Frita)
- ELIMINATED: Sam (Opakapaka Poke with Sea Beans; Mascarpone Mousse with Hawaiian Salted Coconut Milk and Citrus Tuile) and Elia (Snapper Steamed in Ti Leaves; Ahi Poke with Olives, Capers and Lemon Confit)
- Guest Judge: Alan Wong
- Original Airdate: January 24, 2007
- During this episode, it was revealed that Sam was voted Fan Favorite.
- The Hawaii episodes were filmed in December 2006, several months after filming concluded in Los Angeles.
- Attack on Marcel: Before this episode aired, news emerged that Marcel was attacked and permanently scarred in a Las Vegas nightclub by an unhappy viewer. The female assailant walked up to him at the bar, verified his identity as the Top Chef contestant, and struck him with a bottle. The result was thirty stitches and a "one inch scar over his left eye."
Episode 13: Hawaii Finale, Part 2
- Final Challenge: The chefs must prepare a five-course meal to be served to the usual judges' panel and five additional guest judges at one of two restaurants in the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Ilan cooked at Donatoni's Restaurant while Marcel cooked at Imari Restaurant.
- The judges compared Ilan's dishes to Marcel's, as follows:
- 1st course: Pincho of Pan Con Tomate with Angulas, Osetra Caviar and Tomatillos (Ilan) vs. Sea Urchin and Meyer Lemon Gelee with Fennel Cream, Caviar and Kalamata Oil (Marcel)
- 2nd course: Macadamia Nut Gazpacho with Pan Roasted Moi (Ilan) vs. Cucumber and Radish Salad with Citrus Yuzu Vinaigrette (Marcel)
- 3rd course: Seared Squab with Foie Gras, Shrimp, Braised Leeks and Lobster Sauce (Ilan) vs. Heart of palm and Maitake Mushrooms with Kaffir Lime Sauce and Sea Beans (Marcel)
- 4th course: Braised and Grilled Beef Short Rib with Mushrooms and Romesco Sauce (Ilan) vs. North Short Strip Loin with Garlic Puree Crispy Taro Ball and Micro Greens (Marcel)
- 5th course: Tangelo Soup with Hawaiian Fruit, Surinam Cherry Sorbet and Bay Leaf Fritter (Ilan) vs. Blini with Kona coffee Caviar and Hawaiian Chocolate Mousse (Marcel)
- TOP CHEF: Ilan
- RUNNER-UP: Marcel
- Guest Judge: Hubert Keller, Michelle Bernstein, Scott Conant, Wylie Dufresne, Roy Yamaguchi
- Original Airdate: January 31, 2007
- Previously eliminated contestants Sam, Elia, Michael, Betty, Mia, and Frank were asked to return as potential sous chefs for Ilan & Marcel. Each returnee was asked which finalists they would prefer to work with. Elia, Michael and Betty chose Ilan. Sam, Mia and Frank chose Marcel. Ilan and Marcel were then allowed to choose two chefs. Marcel chose Sam and Michael and Ilan chose Elia and Betty.
- At Judges' Table, Hubert Keller represented the collective panel of guest judges.
- During the episode, viewers chose Ilan to win over Marcel in a SMS poll.
- Bravo VP: “we did not alter the integrity of what happened” with Marcel hazing; no reunion due to viewer reaction, Reality Blurred, Feb. 8, 2007
- Photo and description of the Kyocera knife
- Friday's Complete Menu: Sandwiches
- Episode 8 Bonus - Elia's Friend
- ; 
- Tom Colicchio's blog entry on the hazing incident
- Adams, Wanda A. (2007-01-23). "Top grinds". Honolulu Advertiser. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- "Hawaii Film Office Productions". Hawaii Film Office. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- reality blurred + Marcel injured, scarred after a Top Chef viewer hit him in the face with a bottle
Contestant and judge sites
- Otto Borsich and Josie Smith-Malave The Art Institutes promotional site
- Marisa Churchill official web site
- Tom Colicchio - Craft Restaurant official web site
- Cliff Crooks - Saluté Restaurant official web site
- Carlos Fernandez official blog
- Carlos Fernandez - Hi-Life Café official web site
- Betty Fraser - Grub Restaurant official web site
- Betty Fraser - As You Like It catering official web site
- Padma Lakshmi official web site
- Josie Smith-Malave official web site
- Suyai Steinhauer - New York Fork personal chef official web site
- Roberto Ivan - Piccolo official web site
Notable Media & News Coverage
- Bravo's New Top Chef Tells All
- Two More Arrests In Lesbian 'Top Chef' Bashing, 365Gay.com[dead link]