Top Chef (season 9)
|Top Chef: Texas|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||18|
November 2, 2011– March 7, 2012
|No. of contestants||29|
Top Chef: Texas is the ninth season of American reality television series Top Chef and was filmed in various cities in Texas, including San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin, before moving on to British Columbia for the finale. The season premiered on Bravo on November 2, 2011 and concluded on February 29, 2012. The reunion episode for this season aired on March 7, 2012. This season of Top Chef features a much larger number of contestants than any previous season; 29 chefs began the competition. The prize money awarded to the Top Chef was $125,000.
This season also introduced a new competition to the series; in addition to the Quickfire and Elimination Challenges featured in televised episodes, the "Last Chance Kitchen" competition allowed eliminated contestants to compete head-to-head in a series of webisodes, with the winner eventually returning to the main competition. The webisodes are available on Bravo's website.
- 1 Judges
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Contestant Progress
- 4 Episodes
- 4.1 Episode 1: Everything's Bigger in Texas (Elimination Rounds One and Two)
- 4.2 Episode 2: The Heat Is On (Elimination Rounds Three and Four)
- 4.3 Episode 3: Quinceañera
- 4.4 Episode 4: Red Hot Chili Cook-Off
- 4.5 Episode 5: Don't Be Tardy for the Dinner Party
- 4.6 Episode 6: Higher Steaks
- 4.7 Episode 7: Game On
- 4.8 Episode 8: Tribute Dinner
- 4.9 Episode 9: BBQ Pit Wars
- 4.10 Episode 10: Restaurant Wars
- 4.11 Episode 11: Fit for an Evil Queen
- 4.12 Episode 12: Block Party
- 4.13 Episode 13: Bike, Borrow & Steal
- 4.14 Episode 14: Mentors at Work?
- 4.15 Episode 15: Culinary Games
- 4.16 Episode 16: Fire and Ice
- 4.17 Episode 17: Finale
- 4.18 Episode 18: Reunion
- 5 Last Chance Kitchen
- 5.1 Last Chance Kitchen Progress
- 5.2 Episode 1: Andrew vs. Janine
- 5.3 Episode 2: Andrew vs. Keith
- 5.4 Episode 3: Keith vs. Richie
- 5.5 Episode 4: Keith vs. Chuy
- 5.6 Episode 5: Chuy vs. Whitney
- 5.7 Episode 6: Whitney vs. Dakota vs. Nyesha
- 5.8 Episode 7: Nyesha vs. Heather
- 5.9 Episode 8: Nyesha vs. Chris C.
- 5.10 Episode 9: Nyesha vs. Ty-Lör
- 5.11 Episode 10: Nyesha vs. Beverly
- 5.12 Episode 11: Beverly vs. Chris J.
- 5.13 Episode 12: Beverly vs. Grayson
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- Tom Colicchio (Head Judge)
- Padma Lakshmi (Host)
- Gail Simmons (Judge)
- Emeril Lagasse (Judge)
- Hugh Acheson (Judge)
Twenty-nine chefs competed in the ninth season of Top Chef. In order of elimination:
Eliminated in Qualifying Rounds
- Tyler Stone, 22 — Personal Chef (Sacramento, CA)
- Colin Patterson, 37 — Sutra (Seattle, WA)
- Simon Pantet, 30 — Twenty-Two Doors (Seattle, WA)
- Nina Vicente, 29 — Spur Gastropub (Seattle, WA)
- Kimberly Calichio, 27 — Fishtail by David Burke (New York, NY)
- Chaz Brown, 29 — Fatty Crab (New York, NY)
- Jonathan Baltazar, 36 — Heights Cuisine (Long Beach, CA)
- Berenice deAraujo, 33 — Sra. Martinez (Miami, FL)
- Ashley Villaluz, 25 — Sous Chef (Seattle, WA)
- Molly Brandt, 30 — Allure of the Seas for Royal Caribbean (based in Hollywood, FL)
- Laurent Quenioux, 51 — Vertical Wine Bistro (Los Angeles, CA)
- Andrew Curren, 32 — 24 Diner (Austin, TX)
- Janine Falvo, 37 — Briza Restaurant (Atlanta, GA)
- Keith Rhodes, 39 — Catch Restaurants (Wilmington, NC)
- Richie Farina, 28 — MOTO (Chicago, IL)
- Chuy Valencia 25 — Chilam Balam (Chicago, IL)
- Whitney Otawka, 30 — Greyfield Inn (Cumberland Island, GA)
- Dakota Weiss, 35 — 9:30 Restaurant and The Backyard (Los Angeles, CA)
- Nyesha Arrington, 28 — Wilshire Restaurant; Resides in: Los Angeles, CA (Hometown: Los Angeles, CA)
- Heather Terhune, 39 — Sable Kitchen and Bar (Chicago, IL)
- Chris Crary, 29 — Whist Restaurant in the Viceroy Hotel; Resides in: Los Angeles, CA (Hometown: Bucyrus, OH) -- Fan Favorite
- Ty-Lör Boring, 34 — Spasso; Resides in: Brooklyn, NY (Hometown: Kansas City, MO)
- Chris Jones, 30 — MOTO (Chicago, IL)
- Grayson Schmitz, 28 — Exec. Chef (New York, NY)
- Edward Lee, 38 — 610 Magnolia (Louisville, KY)
- Beverly Kim, 32 — Aria Restaurant (Chicago, IL) -- Winner of Last Chance Kitchen; returned Episode #14
- Lindsay Autry, 29 — Omphoy Ocean Resort & Michelle Bernstein (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Sarah Grueneberg, 29 — Spiaggia (Chicago, IL) -- Runner-up
- Paul Qui, 31 — Uchiko Restaurant (Austin, TX) -- Winner
Due to the two-episode qualifying rounds that began this season, the show did not use its traditional elimination format until episode three.
|Chris J.||WIN||IN (-)||LOW||HIGH||LOW||IN||LOW||LOW||HIGH||OUT|
|Chris C.||IN (-)||WIN||LOW||IN||IN||LOW||OUT|
|Dakota||IN (-)||IN (-)||HIGH||IN||OUT|
|Whitney||IN (-)||IN (-)||IN||OUT|
^Note 1 : Did not win immunity.
^Note 2 : Beverly was cited by the judges as having cooked the best dish. However, she was disqualified for not having several of her required elements plated when time expired.
^Note 3 : Beverly won Last Chance Kitchen, and returned to the competition.
^Note 4 : As a reward for winning the Quickfire Challenge, Sarah was given the choice to receive either a new car or a pass to the next round as her prize. Sarah opted for the pass, allowing her to sit out the Elimination Challenge.
- (WINNER) The chef won the season and was crowned Top Chef.
- (RUNNER-UP) The chef was a runner-up for the season.
- (WIN) The chef won that episode's Elimination Challenge.
- (HIGH) The chef was selected as one of the top entries in the Elimination Challenge, but did not win.
- (LOW) The chef was selected as one of the bottom entries in the Elimination Challenge, but was not eliminated.
- (OUT) The chef lost that week's Elimination Challenge and was out of the competition.
- (IN) The chef neither won nor lost that week's Elimination Challenge. They also were not up to be eliminated.
- IN (+) The chef was on the winning team in the Elimination Challenge, but was not chosen as one of the judges' favorites.
- IN (-) The chef was on the losing team in the Elimination Challenge, but was not selected as one of the judges' least favorites.
Most episodes includes two challenges. The Quickfire Challenge is a short, simple challenge with a varying reward each week; in the initial episodes of the season, it usually guarantees the winner immunity from being sent home that week; however, in some episodes the Quickfire winner is instead given an advantage in the upcoming Elimination Challenge. Sometimes, the winner of the Quickfire is given an additional prize, including money. The Elimination Challenge is a more complex challenge that determines who goes home. One or more judges join the show each week to evaluate both the Quickfire and Elimination challenges. Each week's elimination is announced in a segment called "Judges' Table."
Episode 1: Everything's Bigger in Texas (Elimination Rounds One and Two)
- Qualifying Challenge #1: Create a feast with an entire pig, that has only been partially butchered. Each chef must use one part of the pig, with the group having collective responsibility to butcher down to their assigned cuts. Based on the results, each chef will either be in the Top 16, out of the competition, or placed "on the bubble" — asked to cook again for a second chance at earning a Top Chef coat. This challenge was judged by Tom, Padma, and Emeril.
- IN: Chris J. (Caramel Apple Stuffed with Braised Pork Belly and Sweet Applesauce), Sarah (Pig Skin Ravioli), Nyesha (Tex-Mex Pork Shoulder Ravioli), Heather (Maple & Citrus Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Bacon, Corn & Bleu Cheese Grits), Richie (Onion Soup with Braised and Crispy Pig Ears, Pickled Shallots and Frozen Parsley Powder)
- ON THE BUBBLE: Molly (Smoked Sweet Potato Soup with Pork Cheek and Tequila Cilantro Lime Cream), Grayson (Haricot Vert with Toasted Hazelnuts and Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin)
- OUT: Tyler (Eliminated during preparation), Colin (spilled dish), Simon (Ham Roulade Stuffed with Fig Confit and Goat Cheese)
- Qualifying Challenge #2: Create a dish using a collectively-shared ingredient. The chefs choose rabbit. This challenge was judged by Tom, Padma, and Gail.
- IN: Whitney (Rabbit Sugo with Tomatoes, Shallots, Asparagus and Bacon), Keith (Seared Tenderloin, Chicken Fried Rabbit, Yukon Potato Hash, Braised Rabbit Confit), Dakota (Roast Rabbit Crépinettes with Bulgar Wheat), Ty-Lör (Confit Rabbit Leg With Pickled Cucumber and Tomatoes in Fish Sauce), Chris C. (Duo of Rabbit — Confit Leg and Butter Seared Tenderloin with Carrot Polenta), Chuy (Rabbit Loin with Cashew Pipian and Grilled Zucchini)
- ON THE BUBBLE: Edward (Butter Poached Rabbit with Butternut Squash Purée), Janine (Rabbit Nugget, Rabbit Rack and Rabbit Loin Saltimbocca with Mushroom Hash)
- OUT: Nina (Incomplete dish)
- Original Airdate: November 2, 2011
Episode 2: The Heat Is On (Elimination Rounds Three and Four)
- Qualifying Challenge #3: Chefs must each choose an ingredient from a provided assortment. Hidden from each chef is the fact that each ingredient also has an associated time limit of either 20 minutes (Andrew, Kim, Paul), 40 minutes (Berenice, Chaz, Jonathan, Laurent), or 60 minutes (Ashley, Beverly, Lindsay). This challenge was judged by Tom, Padma, and Hugh.
- IN: Paul (Grilled Trout with Southeast Asian Tomato Salad), Lindsay (Braised Veal, Creamy Polenta and Warm Salad), Beverly (Korean Style Octopus "Nakji Bohum")
- ON THE BUBBLE: Andrew (Roasted Mushrooms with Brown Butter Vinaigrette, Crispy Spinach and Poached Egg), Laurent (Duck with Lemon Yuzu Curd and Arugula)
- OUT: Kim (Lamb Chop with Kalamata Olives and Arugula), Chaz (No dish), Jonathan (Brussels Sprouts with Tomato Sofrito and Hazelnut Gremolata), Berenice (Asian Style Short Rib with Cabbage Slaw), Ashley (Braised Oxtail "Kare-Kare")
- Final Cookoff: The last-chance qualifier for all the contestants on the bubble is a 45-minute challenge with no other restrictions. The final six chefs (Andrew, Edward, Grayson, Janine, Laurent, and Molly) may use any ingredients in the Top Chef kitchen to make a dish to get them into the competition. Tom, Padma, Hugh, and Emeril judged this last challenge.
- IN: Edward (Duck with BBQ Sauce & Sweet Asian Custard), Grayson (Polenta with Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp and Port Wine Fig Sauce)
- OUT: Molly (Jumbo Stuffed Prawn, Mousseline of Shrimp with Soy Glazed Watermelon and Rice), Laurent (Scallop Two Ways: Tartare & Seared on a Bed of Fennel with Saffron), Andrew (Mussels with Sherry, Fregula, Charred Corn Panna Cotta and Shrimp), Janine (Seared Scallop with Baby Clams, Bacon, Corn and Watermelon Garnish)
- Original Airdate: November 9, 2011
Episode 3: Quinceañera
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs must cook a dish using rattlesnake. The winner receives immunity and $5,000.
- Top: Beverly, Dakota, Sarah
- Bottom: Nyesha, Paul, Richie
- WINNER: Dakota (Beer-Battered Tempura Rattlesnake)
- Elimination Challenge: Cater a quinceañera with upscale Mexican food. The chefs are divided into two teams.
- Pink Team: Chris C., Dakota, Keith, Lindsay, Nyesha, Sarah, Ty-Lör, Whitney
- Green Team: Beverly, Chris J., Chuy, Edward, Grayson, Heather, Paul, Richie
- WINNERS: Green Team [Beverly (Beef Short Rib Asada), Chris J. (Green Chile, Mushroom and Oaxaca Enchiladas), Chuy (Braised Goat Birria), Edward (Tomatillo Gazpacho with Watermelon), Grayson (Chicken in Ancho Pepita Mole), Heather (Vanilla Tres Leches Cake), Paul (Shrimp Yuzu Ceviche), Richie (Tapioca Chicharron with Pork Carnitas)]
- ELIMINATED: Keith (Pork Tenderloin Huarcite and Enchiladas con Salsa Verde)
- Guest Judge: Johnny Hernandez
- Original Airdate: November 16, 2011
Episode 4: Red Hot Chili Cook-Off
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish using an assortment chiles, ranging from mild to hot on the Scoville scale. The winner receives immunity, as well as a cash prize associated to each ingredient. The hotter the chile used, the higher the possible prize.
- Elimination Challenge, Part 1: Participate in a Texas chili cook-off. The teams are randomly divided into five teams of three and have all night to cook. The dishes must be cooked at the house where the contestants reside rather than the Top Chef kitchen, which limits the cooking supplies available. Winners are selected by crowd vote.
- Red Team: Chris J., Dakota, Whitney
- Green Team: Chris C., Chuy, Sarah
- Blue Team: Edward, Heather, Paul
- Black Team: Beverly, Nyesha, Richie
- White Team: Grayson, Lindsay, Ty-Lör
- WINNER: Green Team (Chili Con Carne with Roasted Corn Salsa)
- Elimination Challenge, Part 2: Upon being told they were the losing team, the members of the Black Team must compete against one another to rework their losing chili into a winning dish.
- ELIMINATED: Richie (Frito-Encrusted Pork Tenderloin, Potato Hash and Ricotta Cheese Chili Purée)
Episode 5: Don't Be Tardy for the Dinner Party
- Quickfire Challenge: Create a dish using only the ingredients provided in backpack survival kits. The winner receives immunity, as well as a $5,000 cash prize.
- Top: Chuy, Edward, Lindsay
- Bottom: Chris C., Dakota, Whitney
- WINNER: Lindsay (Triple Club with Tuna and Sardines in French Onion Soup with Vienna Sausage)
- Elimination Challenge: Each chef must create a dish for a course in a progressive dinner party in the exclusive Dallas neighborhood of Highland Park. The chefs are divided into three teams: appetizers, entrées and desserts. Each team is given $250, 30 minutes to shop and two hours to prepare its meals.
- Team App: Chris J., Lindsay, Paul, Sarah, Whitney
- Team Entrée: Beverly, Chuy, Heather, Nyesha, Ty-Lör
- Team Dessert: Chris C., Dakota, Edward, Grayson
- WINNER: Paul (Fried Brussels Sprouts with Grilled Prosciutto)
- ELIMINATED: Chuy (Sockeye Salmon Fillet Stuffed with Goat Cheese)
- Guest Judge: John Besh
- Original Airdate: November 30, 2011
Episode 6: Higher Steaks
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs are given 90 minutes to prepare a dish that incorporates their own interpretation of one of Auguste Escoffier's five mother sauces: bechamel, espagnole, hollandaise, tomate, or veloute. The winner receives immunity.
- Top: Grayson, Chris C., Paul
- Bottom: Dakota, Nyesha, Beverly
- WINNER: Grayson (Scallop, Charred Corn Sauce, Corn Ravioli & Blueberry Balsamic Reduction with Hollandaise Sauce)
- Elimination Challenge: Chefs must work as a team to cater a four-course steak dinner for 200 at the annual Cattle Baron's Ball. Two of the courses must contain steak. They will have 30 minutes to menu plan, 45 minutes and $4,000 to shop, and three hours to prep on the first day. On the day of the event, chefs will have three hours to cook and serve at Southfork Ranch in Dallas.
- First Course — Soup: Beverly, Dakota, Sarah
- Second Course — Appetizer: Chris J., Edward, Paul
- Third Course — Entrée: Chris C., Nyesha, Ty-Lor, Whitney
- Fourth Course — Dessert: Grayson, Heather, Lindsay
- Guest Judge: Dean Fearing
- Original Airdate: December 7, 2011
Episode 7: Game On
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs are shown several varieties of tequila. They then are given 30 minutes to create a dish that pairs well with the tequila of their choice. The winner will not receive immunity, but a prize of $5,000.
- Top: Chris C., Lindsay, Ty-Lör
- Bottom: Chris J., Heather, Sarah
- WINNER: Ty-Lör (1942 Brand — Steamed Clams in Thai Style Fish Caramel Sauce)
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs are asked to create a game dinner. They will work in teams of two to serve dishes using six well-known chefs' favorites as the primary proteins. Each team will have 30 minutes and $200 to shop, three hours to prep, and 90 minutes to cook and serve at Tim Love's restaurant. The chefs must decide among themselves which three teams had the least successful dishes. Judges will then choose one of those teams to be eliminated along with the winners.
- Team Boar: Lindsay and Chris C., cooking for Jon Shook
- Team Duck: Beverly and Heather, cooking for John Currence
- Team Elk: Grayson and Chris J., cooking for Tim Love
- Team Quail: Edward and Ty-Lör, cooking for Vinny Dotolo
- Team Squab: Paul and Sarah, cooking for Anita Lo
- Team Venison: Dakota and Nyesha, cooking for Bryan Caswell
- Guest Judge: Tim Love
- Original Airdate: December 14, 2011
Episode 8: Tribute Dinner
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs have to prepare a dish that incorporates fan suggestions sent in via Twitter during the challenge. The winner will receive $10,000, but no immunity.
- First Tweet — Better With Bacon: Chefs have 45 minutes to cook a dish with bacon.
- Second Tweet — Hashtag Challenge: Incorporate a hash into your dish.
- Third Tweet — Extra Ingredient: Chefs must use a pantry ingredient randomly chosen for them by another contestant.
- Top: Beverly, Paul, Sarah
- Bottom: Chris J., Edward, Grayson
- WINNER: Paul (Bacon Fat, Crispy Bacon, Blackberries, Chorizo & Mushroom Hash)
- Elimination Challenge: Make a dish honoring their cooking influence as part of a tribute dinner. The chefs have 30 minutes to shop, then two hours the next day to cook and serve their meals to the judges at the Driskill Hotel in Austin.
- Judges' Least Favorites: Heather, Grayson, Chris C.
- Judges' Favorite Dishes: Beverly, Sarah, Edward
- WINNER: Sarah (Pork Sausage Stuffed Cabbage & Spinach with Browned Butter)
- ELIMINATED: Heather (Beef Stroganoff with Herb Spaetzle & Roasted Wild Mushrooms)
- Guest Judge: Patti LaBelle
- Original Airdate: December 21, 2011
Episode 9: BBQ Pit Wars
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs are given 45 minutes to create a dish that best illustrates Modernist Cuisine (an encyclopedia and a guide to the science of contemporary cooking). The winner receives immunity and a copy of Modernist Cuisine.
- Top: Ty-Lör, Sarah, Chris J.
- Bottom: Beverly, Paul, Grayson
- WINNER: Ty-Lör (Watermelon with Vanilla Bean Honey, Saffron and Salted Olive Oil Powder)
- Elimination Challenge: Create a barbecue meal for 300 guests. Chefs form into three teams. Each team must use brisket, pork ribs, and chicken in addition to serving two side dishes. Chefs will be able to cook through the night and have access to individual pits, a smoker, and a trailer kitchen. The chefs will have $2,000 to spend for food.
- Blue Team: Paul, Lindsay, Grayson
- Red Team: Edward, Sarah, Ty-Lör
- White Team: Beverly, Chris C., Chris J.
- WINNER: Blue Team (Smoked Brisket with Bourbon BBQ Sauce, Curry BBQ Chicken, Caramel Miso Pork Rib, Watermelon Salad and Patis)
- ELIMINATED: Chris C. (Sweet 'n Sticky Pork Ribs with Dr. Pepper Glaze)
- PRIZE: The winning team will split $15,000.
- Guest Judge: Nathan Myhrvold
- Original Airdate: January 4, 2012
Episode 10: Restaurant Wars
- Elimination Challenge: Open a restaurant to serve meals to 100 guests, including the four judges. Each team will receive $7,500 to transform its raw space, and five hours to cook their dishes — two each of appetizers, entrées, and desserts. A coin toss determines that the men will serve first, and that the women will serve the next night. Each team will get the chance to dine at the others' restaurant.
- Canteen: Chris J., Edward, Paul, Ty-Lör
- 1st Course: Thai-Style Crab & Shrimp Salad, Caramel Fish Sauce & Peanuts (Ty-Lör) or Ham & Pork Pâté with Mushrooms, Braised Mustard Seeds & Duck Fat Crostini (Paul)
- 2nd Course: Poached Salmon In Warm Tomato Water, Clams, Salmon Skin & Tomatillo Jam (Paul and Ty-Lör) or Crispy Skin Pork Belly with Green Apple & Sweet Potato Purée (Paul)
- 3rd Course: Almond Joy Cake with Malted Chocolate Mousse & Banana Coconut Purée (Edward) or Homemade Cracker Jack, Cherries & Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Chris J.)
- Half Bushel: Beverly, Grayson, Lindsay, Sarah
- 1st Course: Peach Salad with Pickled Shallots, Bacon Vinaigrette & Candied Pistachio (Grayson) or Mozzarella Filled Arancino, Sweet & Sour Eggplant & Celery Salad (Sarah)
- 2nd Course: Braised Short Rib with Thai Basil Potato Purée, Apple Slaw & Kimchi (Beverly) or Grilled Halibut with Spanish Chorizo, Fennel & Sherry Salad (Lindsay)
- 3rd Course: Schaum Torte with Vanilla Meringue & Champagne Berries (Grayson) or Hazelnut Cream Italian Doughnuts with Banana Sugar Glaze (Sarah)
- WINNING TEAM: Half Bushel
- WINNER: Beverly
- ELIMINATED: Ty-Lör
- PRIZE: 3 Liter Bottle of Episode Wine from Terlato Family Vineyards and a 3 Days/2 Nights trip for two to tour their Napa Valley vineyard.
- Original Airdate: January 11, 2012
Episode 11: Fit for an Evil Queen
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs must prepare a dish that incorporates three ingredients from a random assortment provided via a quickly moving conveyor belt. The winner receives immunity.
- Top: Lindsay, Beverly, Sarah
- Bottom: Grayson, Paul, Chris J.
- WINNER: Lindsay (Bouillabaisse with Fennel and Pernod)
- Elimination Challenge: Chefs must prepare a dish, inspired by an upcoming gothic film adaptation of Snow White.
Episode 12: Block Party
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs pair off for a mise en place relay where they have to 30 minutes to both prepare ingredients for the judges' inspection, and combine all those ingredients into one dish. The prep tasks include making fresh pasta, shelling and deveining shrimp, and husking corn. The winning team receives $10,000.
- Top: Chris J. and Grayson, Lindsay and Sarah
- Bottom: Edward and Paul
- WINNER: Chris J. and Grayson (Fettuccine with Poached Shrimp, Toasted Corn, Chili, and Bacon)
- Elimination Challenge: In the same pairs as the Quickfire, the chefs must cater a neighborhood block party. Each pair must decide together on a common main and side dish, but are competing against each other to separately prepare their own versions. As a twist, after selecting their dishes, the chefs are told that they must prepare healthy, low-fat, low-sodium dishes. The crowd's favorite for each pair is eligible for the win, and the crowd's least favorite is eligible for elimination.
- WINNER: Paul (Turkey "Kalbi" with Eggplant and White Peach Kimchi)
- ELIMINATED: Chris J. (Curried Chicken Salad with Tofu Mayonnaise, and Watermelon Salad with Pineapple Ice)
- PRIZE: $15,000
- Guest Judges: Cat Cora
- Original Airdate: January 25, 2012
Episode 13: Bike, Borrow & Steal
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must create their own creative version of pancakes. The winner receives $5,000.
- WINNER: Edward (Crispy Pancake Tidbits with Bruleéd Marshmallows, Strawberries, Blueberries, & Bacon)
- Elimination Challenge: Chefs are given bikes to shop for their own ingredients, and to find their own cooking space somewhere in the environs around The Alamo.
- WINNER: Lindsay (Stuffed Zucchini with Braised Beef Cheeks, Rice & Goat Cheese with a Salad of Greens & Pickled Carrots and Celery)
- ELIMINATED: Grayson (Egg Yolk, Spinach & Gorgonzola-Stuffed Chicken with Butternut Roasted Squash with Bacon Vinaigrette)
- Guest Judges: Pee-wee Herman
- Original Airdate: February 1, 2012
Episode 14: Mentors at Work?
As a reward for winning Last Chance Kitchen, Beverly re-enters the main competition.
- Quickfire Challenge: The chefs must select ingredients from the pantry while blindfolded and incorporate all of them into a dish. The winner receives a choice between either a Toyota Prius V or a place in the finals.
- WINNER: Sarah (Corn Soup with Onion, Red Chili and Peaches) Elected to pass to the finals
- Elimination Challenge: The chefs must each prepare a dish inspired by a chef for whom they had previously worked. These mentors act as the guest judges.
- Guest Judges: Michelle Bernstein, Tony Mantuano, Sarah Stegner, Tyson Cole, Frank Crispo
- Original Airdate: February 8, 2012
Episode 15: Culinary Games
The competition moves to Whistler Olympic Park British Columbia, where the four remaining chefs are confronted with a series of three Winter Olympic-themed (in honor of Vancouver's hosting of the 2010 Olympics) challenges. The winner of each challenge gets $10,000 and the right to move on in the competition.
- Challenge 1: Each chef must create a dish using equipment and ingredients found in a gondola lift vehicle while it is in motion. When the gondola reaches the next station, each chef must briefly exit and choose one from an assortment of ingredients laid out for them, which must then be incorporated into the final dish. The chef will need to complete the dish by the time the gondola finishes its return trip.
- Challenge 2: The chefs have an hour to break out ingredients that have been frozen in ice blocks and make a dish out of them while outdoors in frigid weather.
- Challenge 3: Beverly and Sarah must take part in a biathlon competition to collect ingredients. After skiing back and forth on a cross country course, they must use a rifle to shoot at targets representing one of a variety of ingredients. Each chef is allowed to use the ingredient represented by any target she hits, but is also limited to ten shots total, hit or miss. Once the ingredients are determined, the chefs have 20 minutes to make a dish incorporating them.
- Guest Judges: Gretchen Bleiler (Challenge 1), Jon Montgomery (Challenge 2), Cammi Granato (Challenge 3)
- Original Airdate: February 15, 2012
Episode 16: Fire and Ice
- Quickfire Challenge: Chefs are each paired in a tag team challenge with a previous Top Chef Masters contestant: Takashi Yagihashi, Anita Lo, and Floyd Cardoz. The teammates are unable to speak to each other during the challenge, and only one is able to be in the kitchen cooking at a time. Each chef has two 10 minute rounds to cook. The winner receives $20,000.
- Elimination Challenge: Cater a Fire and Ice themed event where they must prepare a dish and cocktail that incorporate a hot and a cold element.
- Original Airdate: February 22, 2012
Episode 17: Finale
- Final Challenge: The remaining two chefs are asked to lead their own restaurant and have to create a four course tasting menu. They can select four sous chefs from candidates who are either Master chefs (Marco Canora and Barbara Lynch), or other contestants eliminated earlier in the competition. The chefs must choose their assistants from a tasting of dishes that they have prepared, without knowledge of who prepared each dish.
- Paul: (with Barbara Lynch, Chris C., Keith, and Ty-Lör)
- Sarah: (with Heather, Grayson, Tyler, and Nyesha)
- TOP CHEF: Paul
- RUNNER-UP: Sarah
- Guest Judges: Emeril Lagasse and Hugh Acheson
- Original Airdate: February 29, 2012
Episode 18: Reunion
- Cast and judges reunion. The Fan Favorite was revealed on Watch What Happens Live on March 8, 2012.
- FAN FAVORITE: Chris C.
- Original Airdate: March 8, 2012
Last Chance Kitchen
The Last Chance Kitchen is an online-only series of challenges (available for viewing on BravoTV.com) in which the ousted chefs competed for a chance to get back into the competition. Each week, two or more chefs competed against each other in the Top Chef kitchen, with the results judged solely by Tom Colicchio. The winner each week continued on to face the next eliminated Top Chef contestant(s), while the loser was eliminated from the competition for good. The winner of the final battle was allowed to re-enter the main competition and compete for the grand prize.
Last Chance Kitchen Progress
- (WIN) The chef was crowned the winner of the Last Chance Kitchen and returned to the main competition.
- (WIN) The chef won that episode's Last Chance Kitchen Challenge and continued in the competition.
- (OUT) The chef lost that week's Last Chance Kitchen Challenge and was eliminated from the competition.
Episode 1: Andrew vs. Janine
The final two chefs to be eliminated during the qualification rounds are given 30 minutes to cook a pizza for Tom to judge.
- Andrew — Mediterranean Pizza with Anchovies, Capers, Fried Calamari and Arugula.
- Janine — Fig Pizza with Parmesan-Asiago, Soppressata, Arugula and Black Garlic.
- WINNER: Andrew
Episode 2: Andrew vs. Keith
In this challenge, the chefs are given 10 minutes to prep and cook a dish containing six provided ingredients, including clams, lemons, onions, and peppers.
- Andrew — Clams With Grilled Radicchio and Peperonata.
- Keith — Clam Ceviche With Lemon Zest and Steamed Clams With Pancetta.
- WINNER: Keith
Episode 3: Keith vs. Richie
The chefs are asked to prepare a dish using at least three ingredients provided from the leftovers of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
- Keith — Turkey and Sweet Corn Hash, Ham Fritter, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin Pie Smear
- Richie — Turkey, Green Bean Casserole, Macaroni and Cheese Fritter and Cornbread Purée
- WINNER: Keith
Episode 4: Keith vs. Chuy
Tom directs the chefs to Bolner's Meat Market in San Antonio, where each is given an entire rib rack of beef. They are then given 45 minutes to butcher five bone-in ribeyes, and cook one of them into a "perfect" medium-rare steak to serve to Tom for final judging.
- WINNER: Chuy
Episode 5: Chuy vs. Whitney
Tom asks the chefs to create the classic American burger with one of two assigned proteins in 30 minutes. Andrew, Keith and Richie are on hand to offer opinions and moral support.
- Chuy — Ostrich & Ground Pork Burger with Fresno Chili Aioli and Onion Straws
- Whitney — Elk and Pork Sausage Burger, Shallot & Garlic, Egg Sunny-Side Up
- WINNER: Whitney
Episode 6: Whitney vs. Dakota vs. Nyesha
The chefs must cook a dish using only a wok, with cactus as the main ingredient, in 30 minutes.
- Dakota — Shrimp Tostada with Watermelon and Prickly Pear Shooter
- Nyesha — Asian-Style Scallops with Prickly Pear Garnish, Cilantro and Thai Basil
- Whitney — Cactus and Chicken Fried Rice with Sriracha and Soy Sauce
- WINNER: Nyesha
Episode 7: Nyesha vs. Heather
The chefs have 30 minutes to create a dish using three different cooking techniques: frying, injecting, and foaming.
- Nyesha — Brown Butter Foam and Beignet Injected with Caramel Sauce
- Heather — Fried Gulf Shrimp Injected with Smoked Paprika and Porcini Mushroom Foam
- WINNER: Nyesha
Episode 8: Nyesha vs. Chris C.
The chefs have 30 minutes to create a dish using ingredients found in a gas station with a budget of $20.
- Nyesha — Beer-Glazed Smoked Sausage with a Pork Rind Tuile & Chili Cheese Sauce
- Chris C. — Togarashi[disambiguation needed] Spiced Tomato Soup with Spicy Pork Rinds, Grilled Cheese with Fried Ham and Pickle
- WINNER: Nyesha
Episode 9: Nyesha vs. Ty-Lör
The chefs have 30 minutes to create a pastry dessert with the help of a sous-chef. Helpers are chosen from remaining eliminated cheftestants. Nyesha chose Heather; Ty-Lör chose Chris C.
- Nyesha — Coconut & Lime Tart with Coconut, Crème Fraiche Mousse & Caramel Sauce.
- Ty-Lör — Puff Pastry with Dark Chocolate Mascarpone Cream, Vanilla Bean Rum Cherries & Caramel Sauce
- WINNER: Nyesha
Episode 10: Nyesha vs. Beverly
The chefs have 30 minutes to create a dish using Black Drum. Chefs will only be allowed to go through the Top Chef Kitchen once to gather all necessary ingredients and equipment. With 23:30 remaining, Tom instructed chefs to switch stations and surrender all ingredients to the opposing chef.
- Beverly — Seared Black Drum with Oranges, Fennel, and Black Olives
- Nyesha — Seared Black Drum with Julienne of Tri-Pepper, Slaw & Pineapple Chutney
- WINNER: Beverly
Episode 11: Beverly vs. Chris J.
The chefs have 30 minutes to make a dish that incorporates all of the ingredients found in a "mystery box", which cannot be opened until time begins. As the challenge progresses, the chefs are given two additional ingredients to use in the final dish.
- Beverly — Grilled Lamb Chop with Parsnips, Curry, Radicchio & White Anchovy Vinaigrette
- Chris J. — Grilled Lamb Chop with a Sweet Purée, Radicchio Salad with Pancetta, Pine Nuts & Apple
- WINNER: Beverly
Episode 12: Beverly vs. Grayson
The chefs have 30 minutes to cook a dish worthy of competing in the finale.
- Beverly — Red Snapper in Coconut Broth infused with Lemongrass, Ginger, Thai Basil & Cilantro with a Fennel Mango Salad.
- Grayson — Bacon Seared Scallop with a Gastrique of Cherry & Champagne Grapes with Pistachio & Tarragon
- WINNER: Beverly
- "Bravo's 'Top Chef: Texas' Premieres Wednesday, November 2". 21 September 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.