Top Chef Canada
|Top Chef Canada|
|Starring||Thea Andrews (season 1)
Lisa Ray (seasons 2 and 3)
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of episodes||49|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original channel||Food Network Canada|
|Original run||April 11, 2011– May 12, 2014|
Top Chef Canada is a reality competition show. The first season premiered on April 11, 2011 on Food Network Canada. The first season consisted of 13 episodes, with 16 contestants vying for a grand prize of $100,000 and a GE Monogram kitchen valued at $30,000. Contestants shopped at Loblaws in season one and McEwan in season two. Like the original American series, each week the chef contestants compete against each other in culinary challenges. Contestants are judged by a panel of professional chefs and other notables from the food and wine industry, with one or more contestants being eliminated each week. The Canadian edition uses the same graphics and music as the American version of the program.
Judges, guest judges, and special appearances
The host for the first season of the Canadian program was Thea Andrews. After giving birth to her second child, Andrews stepped down from the position. On November 15, 2011, actress Lisa Ray announced that she was named to host the program for season two. Lisa Ray also hosted season three.
The head judge (the position held by Tom Colicchio on the original version) is Mark McEwan, chef and owner of several restaurants in Toronto and host of the Food Network Canada program The Heat with Mark McEwan. McEwan returned as head judge for season two and three.
Season 1 (2011)
Aired: April 11, 2011 - July 4, 2011
The winner of this season was Dale MacKay.
Season 2 (2012)
Aired: March 12, 2012 - May 28, 2012
The winner of this season was Carl Heinrich.
Season 3 (2013)
Aired: March 18, 2013 - June 10, 2013
The winner of this season was Matthew Stowe.
Season 4 (2014)
Aired: March 10, 2014 - May 12, 2014
The winner of this season was Rene Rodriguez.
- Channel Canada. "Top Chef Canada will Heat Up Food Network Canada in Spring 2011". Channelcanada.com. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- Food Network Canada. "Top Chef Canada". www.foodnetwork.ca. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "More Top Chef Canada details trickle out". www.torontolife.com. 2011-01-26. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Shaw Media and Insight Productions Announce Official Sponsorships for Top Chef Canada". www.channelcanada.com. 2011-01-26. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- Rita Dimontis (2011-11-18). "Lisa Ray to host Top Chef Canada". Toronto Sun (Sun Media). Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Interview: My Chat with Top Chef Canada Host Thea Andrews". foodnetwork.ca. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Craig Takeuchion (2011-11-17). "Who is Top Chef Canada's new host? Canadian star Lisa Ray". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Television: Top Chef Canada's New Host". Shaw Media Inc. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "'Top Chef Canada' Season 3: Cooking Competition Returns". The Huffington Post. 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Top Chef Canada Signs on Culinary Expert Mark McEwan as Head Judge". Newswire.ca. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- "Top Chef Canada is Ready to be Served". Shaw Media. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-03-06.