The parish church of Saint Margaret, Topcroft, Norfolk
Topcroft shown within Norfolk
|Area||7.76 km2 (3.00 sq mi)|
|Population||268 (parish, 2001 census)|
|- Density||35 /km2 (91 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|- London||119 miles (192 km)|
|Civil parish||Topcroft CP|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Topcroft is a Village and a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. The Village is 6.9 miles (11.1 km) north west of Bungay, 13.6 miles (21.9 km) south of Norwich and 119 miles (192 km) north east of London. The village lies .5 miles (0.80 km) south of the of B1527 road. The nearest railway station is at Norwich for the Great Eastern Main Line which runs between Norwich and Liverpool Street station, London. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport. The Village, in the 2001 census, has a population of 268. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of South Norfolk. A notable resident of Topcroft is the artist Hannah Gifford (creator of "Red Fox").
The parish church of Saint Margaret
Topcroft has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Topcroft is recorded by the name ‘’Topercroft’’ and ‘’Topercropt’’ and is said to be in possession of Eudo FitzSpirwic, Berenger from Saint Edmund’s.
Topcroft Cricket Club has a Men's Saturday 1st Team who play in Norfolk Cricket Alliance Division 1, a Men's Saturday 'A' Team who play in Norfolk Cricket Alliance Division 6, a Men's Sunday 1st Team who play in Mid-Norfolk Sunday League, and a Women's Team who play in TGS Norfolk Club Cricket League for Women. The club also has an Under 17, Under 15, Under 13, Under 11 and Under 9 team for boys and girls (note: girls are able to play two years below their actual age group),
- OS Explorer Map 230 – Diss & Harleston ISBN 0-319-23804-0
- County A to Z Atlas, Street & Road maps Norfolk, ISBN 978-1-84348-614-5
- Website with photos of Topcroft St Margaret, a round-tower church
- The Domesday Book, Englands Heritage, Then and Now, Editor: Thomas Hinde,Norfolk, Topcroft entry, page 195 ISBN 1-85833-440-3
Media related to Topcroft at Wikimedia Commons
- The 93rd Bombardment Group Museum, Station 104, Hardwick. A small museum on the actual airfield site in Nissen (Quonset) and brick built huts is close to the village of Topcroft.
|This Norfolk location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|