On 10 August 2006, after months of unsuccessful negotiations with Elsevier about the price policy of library subscriptions, the entire editorial board of the journal handed in their resignation, effective 31 December 2006. Subsequently, two more issues appeared in 2007 with papers that had been accepted before the resignation of the editors. In early January the former editors instructed Elsevier to remove their names from the website of the journal, but Elsevier refused to comply, justifying their decision by saying that the editorial board should remain on the journal until all of the papers accepted during its tenure had been published.
In 2007 the former editors of Topology announced the launch of the Journal of Topology, published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the London Mathematical Society at a significantly lower price. Its first issue appeared in January 2008.
- Editorial Board of Topology. "Letter to Mr Robert Ross, Elsevier Science" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- Shapiro, Gary (October 26, 2006). "A Rebellion Erupts Over Journals Of Academia". The New York Sun (The New York Sun). p. Front Page. Retrieved 2006-12-04.
- Jim Davis. "Email to Algebraic Topology Discussion List". Retrieved 2007-01-13.[unreliable source?]
- Ulrike Tillmann. "Email to Algebraic Topology Discussion List". Retrieved 2007-01-13.[unreliable source?]
- "Oxford Journals | Mathematics & Physical Sciences | Journal of Topology". Oxford University Press. 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Journal of Topology". London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 2012-03-11.