|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Founder(s)||Vipul Ved Prakash
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh
|Key people||Duncan Greatwood - CEO
Vipul Ved Prakash - Co-Founder and CTO
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh – Co-Founder & Chief Scientist
Rich Maier – SVP, Sales
Jamie de Guerre – VP, Product
Ted Cui – VP, Engineering
David Berk – VP, Operations
|Slogan(s)||Instant social insight.|
Topsy (aka Topsy Labs, Inc.) is a social search and analytics company based in San Francisco, California. The company is a certified Twitter partner and maintains a comprehensive index of tweets, numbering in hundreds of billions, dating back to Twitter's inception in 2006. Topsy makes products to search, analyze and draw insights from conversations and trends on the public social websites including Twitter and Google+.
Topsy Pro Analytics
Topsy Pro Analytics is a commercial web dashboard application that allows users to conduct interactive analysis on keywords and authors by activity, influence, exposure, sentiment, language or geography. Users can discover the most relevant tweets, links, photos and videos for any term from Topsy’s index of hundreds of billions of tweets. Users can group terms into saved topics and setup customized alerts and daily activity digests.
Topsy Pro Analytics Public Sector
Topsy Pro Analytics is a version of the Topsy Pro Analytics product for government agencies. The intended purpose of the product is to facilitate disaster response, quantify political issues, detect disease outbreak and monitor global anomalies.
Topsy.com is a real-time search engine for social posts and socially shared content, primarily on Twitter and GooglePlus. The service ranks results using a proprietary social influence algorithm that measures social media authors on how much others support what they saying. The service also provides access to metrics for any term mentioned on Twitter via its free analytics service at analytics.topsy.com, where users can compare up to three terms for content in the past hour, day, week or month. It was announced in September 2013 that Topsy will include every public tweet ever published on Twitter for search and analysis.
Topsy API Services
Topsy provides a set of REST APIs to programmatically access to Twitter data and metrics. Users can also access this data via ad-hoc report requests.
Twitter Political Index
This index was co-developed by Twitter and Topsy. It debuted in August 2012 and originally compared social sentiment for the two primary American presidential candidates.
Twitter Oscars Index
This index was also co-developed by Twitter and Topsy. It debuted in January 2013 and originally compared social sentiment for films nominated for Academy awards in six categories: Best Picture, Best Actor. Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Director. Topsy sentiment analysis used in this index correctly predicted five out of the six award recipients.
In March 2013, Mashable and Topsy co-produced the Mashable SXSW Trendspotter, which is a mobile-enabled website that visitors see what’s trending at the SXSW event, based on real-time analysis of Twitter conversations. The SXSW Trendspotter provides analysis of:
- Which topics are trending
- Which start-ups, brands, bands and films are generating popular social conversations
- Which SXSW sessions and events are the most popular
- Details about the top tweets, news, photos and videos around each topic
Operation and History
Topsy was founded in 2007 by Vipul Ved Prakash, Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, Gary Iwatani and Justin Foutts. The company has raised over USD $27 million in venture capital from BlueRun Ventures, Ignition Partners, Founders Fund, Scott Banister and other investors. The company has over 40 employees with offices in San Francisco and Washington DC and operates its own data centers.
Acquired by Apple Inc.
- "Apple has confirmed that it’s purchased Topsy Labs, a social analytics firm that tracks trending topics on Twitter and other social media networks, in a deal the Wall Street Journal says is valued at more than $200 million. Topsy, one of Twitter’s biggest partners, analyzes ”the half a billion messages sent over Twitter every day and has indexed every tweet ever sent and has made them searchable, much like Google does for the web,” adds the New York Times."
- Boutin, Paul (2011-07-26). "Topsy Searches Twitter Better Than Twitter - NYTimes.com". Gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Pro Analytics Lets Users Analyze Over 100 Billion Tweets From The Last 2+ Years". Marketingland.com. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy: Now Searching Tweets Back To May 2008". Searchengineland.com. 2010-08-24. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy | Twitter Developers". Dev.twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Goel, Vindu (2013-09-04). "If Google Could Search Twitter, It Would Find Topsy". New York Times.
- Tam, Donna (2012-08-21). "Topsy tailors tool to tease out Twitter trends to a 'T' | Internet & Media - CNET News". News.cnet.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "7 Ways Marketers Can Leverage Topsy Pro". Ignite Social Media. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Adds Real-Time Search for Google+ - Liz Gannes - Social". AllThingsD. 2011-10-11. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Honan, Mat (2012-08-21). "You Are the Product: Topsy's New Pro Analytics Tool As the All-Seeing Eye | Gadget Lab". Wired.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Social Analytics Service Topsy Adds Email Alerts and Reports". SocialTimes. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Launches New Features for Pro Analytics". semanticweb.com. 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Introduces Topsy Pro Analytics for the Public Sector". Marketwire.com. 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Tuesday, October 11th, 2011 (2011-10-11). "Topsy Launches Realtime Search Engine For Public Google+ Posts". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Who rules real-time search? A look at 11 contenders". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Adam Popescu (2012-10-24). "Beyond Klout: Better Ways To Measure Social Media Influence – ReadWrite". Readwrite.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Social Analytics: Twitter Analytics For The Masses (& Free, Too)". Searchengineland.com. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy: Allows You To Scan Every Public Tweet Ever Published On Twitter". CEOWORLD Magazine. 2013-09-04. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Graver, Fred (2013-01-15). "Tracking the Oscar buzz | Twitter Blog". Blog.twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Josh Catone2013-03-08 15:05:40 UTC (2013-03-08). "Discover What’s Hot at SXSW With the Mashable Trendspotter". Mashable.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Topsy Labs | CrunchBase Profile". Crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Thursday, March 10th, 2011 (2011-03-10). "Realtime Search Platform Topsy Raises $15 Million". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Geron, Tomio (2009-05-27). "Topsy Bets On Real-Time Twitter Search With $15M Backing - Venture Capital Dispatch - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Jeff Bertolucci (2012-08-07). "How Topsy Tames Twitter's Big Data Fire Hose - Software - Analytics". Informationweek.com. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Guglielmo, Connie (December 2, 2013). "Apple, Not Known For Being Socially Minded, Buys Social Media Analytics Firm Topsy". Forbes. Retrieved December 3, 2013.