Torah Academy of Bergen County
|Torah Academy of Bergen County|
|1600 Queen Anne Road
Teaneck, NJ, 07666
|Type||Private High School, all-male Yeshiva|
|Faculty||32.8 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||283 (as of 2011–12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.6:1|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and Gold|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Newspaper||Eye of the Storm
|Affiliation||Modern Orthodox Judaism|
Torah Academy of Bergen County is a four-year yeshiva high school located in Teaneck, in Bergen County, New Jersey. It utilizes a split-schedule day offering both Jewish studies and college preparatory courses. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 2005.
TABC, as it is commonly known, is run by the Rosh HaYeshiva, Rabbi Yosef Adler (who is also the Rabbi of Congregation Rinat Yisrael in Teaneck), and the Principal, Arthur J. Poleyeff. Rabbi Ezra Wiener is the Mashgiach Ruchani (religious life guidance counselor).
Various Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered primarily to juniors and seniors.
The school is additionally noted for its intense culinary arts seniors elective for, thought to be the first of its type for a mainstream boys yeshiva high school.
The school hosts a program of the SINAI Special Needs Institute. The program serves children of below to above average intelligence with different degrees of learning disability and a wide variety of behavioral characteristics, whose needs could not be addressed by traditional Jewish day school programs and curricula.
The school has a number of extracurricular activities, some that do well even on the international level. The school's Mock trial team was the 2005 New Jersey State Champions and received a lot of press coverage both in the Tri-State Region as well as overseas for its efforts to gain accommodations to participate in the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Charlotte, North Carolina without being required to compete during the Jewish Sabbath.
TABC has various sport teams, including baseball, basketball, hockey, and others.
In an effort to build inter-community relationships in Teaneck, Torah Academy athletic director Bobby Kaplan and then assistant principal Rabbi Tzvi Grumet, arranged for the TABC Storm to play a pair of exhibition basketball games in 2000 against the Knights of the Al-Ghazaly High School, a Muslim high school in the township.
The varsity hockey team has won the MYHSHL championship four times (1997–1998, 2006–2007, 2007–2008, and 2012-2013). The JV team has won a record seven times (1997–1998, 2002–2003, 2008–2009, 2009–2010, 2010–2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013). TABC is known as a hockey powerhouse and both teams have made the championship consistently.
TABC's largest sports program is the wrestling team which had placed 3rd in the Wittenberg Championships from 2007 to 2010. In 2009, TABC had six finalists and two champions. In 2010, TABC had three champions - Navid Ahdoot (112 lbs), Evan Friedlander (171 lbs) and Dovid Greenfield (285 lbs) - as well as several second and third place wrestlers. In 2011 TABC placed second overall with three first place winners including Shimmy Auman, Evan Friedlander, Dovid Greenfield. In 2013, TABC won Wittenberg with three champions, and eleven total placers. TABC wrestlers Efraim Ellman, Dovid Greenfield, Navin Adhoot, Ramin Ahdoot and Lior Shachar have been inducted into the Wittenberg Hall of Fame.
Additionally, the school also has both a varsity and junior varsity basketball team coached by Yeshiva League Hall of Fame Coach Bobby Kaplan.
The Yeshiva University Red Sarachek basketball tournament plays some of its games in the TABC gym, for which they received an award in 2004. TABC also participated in Sarachek in 2012, entering the tournament as the 13th seed and finishing ranked #12 overall.
- Torah Academy Of Bergen County, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 23, 2014.
- Torah Academy of Bergen County, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- Commission on Secondary Schools, assessed April 12, 2007.
- Top Chef...Teaneck? Yeshiva Boys Take to the Kitchen, The Jewish Week, May 6, 2009
- New mock trial contest arises from controversy, The Record (Bergen County), February 24, 2006
- Teams, Torah Academy of Bergen County. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Pincus, Helen Weiss. "SOAPBOX; Exhibition Games", The New York Times, April 9, 2000. Accessed June 21, 2011.
- Yeshiva University Henry Wittenberg Wrestling Invitational, Yeshiva University wrestling. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- Wittenberg Tournament 2010 Place Winners, Yeshiva University wrestling. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- Leichman, Joseph. "TABC’s Coach K", New Jersey Jewish Standard, January 18, 2006. Accessed April 19, 2012. "And on March '5, Torah Academy of Bergen County in Teaneck will honor the man who has literally come to embody the business end of basketball at its school, its varsity and junior varsity basketball coach, 'Bobby' Kaplan, who also happens to teach a senior-year elective business class."
- Teams, Red Sarachek Tournament. Accessed April 19, 2012.