|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Toranagallu is a village located in Bellary district of Karnataka. The village has seen drastic social and economic changes in the past 15 years. The village experiences a hot climate upholding the reputation of Bellary district for its soaring high temperatures. When speaking of the district, it is common to refer to Bellary as having just two seasons namely Summer and Extreme summer (ಬೇಸಿಗೆ ಮತ್ತು ಕಡು ಬೇಸಿಗೆ). The village is divided into two parts, Toranagallu village and Toranagallu Railway Station. Toranagallu Railway Station is about 2 km from Toranagallu Village, this part of the village is concentrated around the Railway Station.
The primary occupation of the villagers was Agriculture,Animal Husbandry, workforce in mining related industries and small scale trading. The industrialization of the area beginning in 1995 created a wide range of occupational opportunities for people. The working class of Toranagallu and the neighboring villages now experience a rich diversity in occupation.
The village being situated in a district close to Andhra Pradesh and having a significant population from all around India working in the industries has resulted in diverse culture and languages being used.
The village had two main schools for a long time. One situated in the toranagallu village and the other in the railway station part. But recently there has been a rapid increase in the number of schools.
1. Government Model Higher Primary School: The school imparts education to children from 1st Grade to 7th Grade. It is situated on the Bellary-Hospet main road. The school now has a High school offering education from 8 to 10th Standard in the same premises.
2. Sri Basaveshwara Rural High School: This school is situated in the Railway station area sharing its boundaries with the Hospet and Sandur Main roads. The School has a good reputation for imparting high school education to students not just from Toranagallu but also to students from neighboring villages like Kurekuppa, Basapura, Vaddu .
3. Inception of Jindal Vijayanagar Steels (now JSW: Jindal south west ) brought along with it DAV Jindal Vidya Mandir with CBSE(Central Board of Secondary Education) syllabus for the children of its employees. The school later opened up for the students from neighboring villages. The school has good facilities with an added advantage of being situated in a serene environment.
4. OPJ(Om Prakash Jindal) center is a vocational training institute owned and maintained by JSW. It offers various courses from recognized universities and also has numerous industrial training programs.
Recently the accumulation of population near the industrial area and huge influx of workers has increased the number of schools. There have been situations where the schools had to schedule the school timings to function in two different batches.
The village has a government Primary Health Centre. The village also has a number of private practicing doctors. Jindal Sanjeevani Hospital is a 60 bed private hospital owned by JSW.
1.Shankaralinga gudda: The small hillock situated in the Toranagallu village houses the Hindu deity Shiva(Shankaralinga) on the top. The visitors can get a nice aerial view of the surrounding industries, the village and the Daroji lake from top of the hill.
2.Daroji lake: Daroji lake is about 2 km from the Toranagallu Village.
How to reach?
By road: The nearby cities are Bellary and Hospet, which are approximately at a distance of 30 km from Toranagallu . Buses operating between Bellary and Hospet go via Toranagallu, the journey takes about 40-45mins from Bellary or Hospet.
By train: The most convenient way for tourists or new comers to reach Toranagallu(TNGL) is by train. Various trains operating between major places stop at the Railway Station.
By Air :Toranagallu has an airstrip maintained by JSW. There were few flights operated by Air Deccan between Bangalore and Goa which landed at Toranagallu in between. The current availability has to be checked since operation has been inconsistent. Air Deccan does not exist anymore.
- Village code= 928100 "Census of India : Villages with population 5000 & above". Retrieved 2008-12-18.
- "Yahoomaps India :". Retrieved 2008-12-18. Toranagal, Bellary, Karnataka