|Full name||Torben Ulrich|
October 4, 1928 |
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Highest ranking||No. 96 (October 15, 1973)|
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Australian Open||1R (1971)|
|French Open||4R (1959)|
|US Open||4R (1953, 1956, 1964, 1968)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Australian Open||2R (1971)|
|French Open||QF (1968)|
|US Open||2R (1968, 1972, 1973, 1975)|
He was born on October 4, 1928. Ulrich played on the tennis tour from the late 1940s into the 1970s, and on the Tennis Grand Masters tour in the 1970s and 1980s. In 1976 he was the top-ranked senior player in the world. Ulrich played more than 100 Davis Cup matches for Denmark. In 1977, at a month shy of 49, he became the oldest Davis Cup player in history.
Ulrich is the father of Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. In 2005 he founded the musical group "Instead Of", composed of Lori Goldston, cello; Angelina Baldoz, trumpet and flutes; Jaison Scott, drums; and Torben Ulrich, voice/texts. 
He now lives in Tiburon, California.
- O'Keefe, Kevin (July/August 2002). "On Court With Lars Ulrich". Tennis 38 (6): 18. ISSN 0040-3423.
- Wertheim, Jon (1 October 2004). "Enter Sandman's father: Metallica's 'first dad,' Torben Ulrich...". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 16 September 2011. "And though it barely registers a line on his uber-resume, Torben was also a longtime fixture on the tennis tour, a smooth and, not surprisingly, cerebral, left-hander who reached the fourth round of the U.S. Open, the third round of Wimbledon and played more than 100 Davis Cup ties for Denmark."
- Torben Ulrich Official Website
- Torben Ulrich at the Association of Tennis Professionals
- Torben Ulrich at the International Tennis Federation
- Torben Ulrich at the Davis Cup
- Torben Ulrich at the Internet Movie Database