Torch (web browser)
Screenshot of Torch browser
|Developer(s)||Torch Media Inc.|
|Stable release||22.214.171.12455 / August 28, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows XP SP2 and later
Mac OS X Snow Leopard and later
|Available in||English, French, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, Portuguese, German|
|License||Torch Media terms of service|
Torch Browser is a freeware Chromium-based web browser and Internet suite developed by Torch Media. The browser handles common Internet-related tasks such as displaying websites, sharing websites via social networks, downloading torrents, accelerating downloads and grabbing online media, all directly from the browser. Torch Browser is commercial freeware. Early versions of the browser have received mixed reviews, with some praising its interesting feature combination while others decrying its lack of add-on support (an issue which has been resolved in the newer version).
Torch is based on the Chromium source code. Torch's most recent version 126.96.36.19955 uses Chromium version 25, making it compatible with all add-ons and extensions available in the Chrome store.
On June 18, 2013, Torch announced that it had surpassed 10 million active users.
On June 18, 2013, Torch announced a major release for Mac and Windows that included an integrated download accelerator, which increases download speed up to 3X compared to other browsers. The same release also introduced Torch Music, a free social music discovery service that organizes music videos available on YouTube in a user-friendly interface. Users can easily find and stream music videos, create playlists, and follow their Facebook friends’ musical choices. Torch Music is integrated directly into Torch Browser, which includes an embedded controller to control music from any browser tab.
On July 1, 2013, Torch version 188.8.131.5212 was released. The release included the ability to download Instagram and Vine videos in a single click. Torch's ability to download Instagram videos was featured on CNET's Tekzilla Daily.
Reviews of Torch have evolved over time, as the browser continued to add features and functionality.
In October 2012, The Blog Herald said of Torch: "The Torch Web Browser is built on a lightweight framework that offers what appears to be decent security. If you like to browse the web while grabbing various files this might be the perfect browser for your arsenal of web applications. Overall I have been pleased with the Torch Browser and I only hope it continues to grow so more social sharing features can be experienced and more files can be grabbed."
In reviewing Torch in December 2012, CNET said of Torch 184.108.40.2064: "An all-in-one Web browser is nothing to sneeze at, but Torch Browser isn't going to pry you away from Chrome or Firefox. While it has options that make sharing and social media a breeze, Torch Browser just isn't unique enough to win people's hearts. It lags in performance and its major features aren't worth making the switch...Torch Browser tries to carve out its niche by being an all-in-one Web browser... However, it doesn't do any of those things well enough to replace what you currently use. Once you get over the novelty, it becomes obvious that Torch Browser isn't that powerful as a Web portal. It's noticeably slower than other browsers and it doesn't have the same sort of add-on support. The layout is just a rip-off of the open-canvas setup of other, more popular browsers. None of this is to say that using it is all a bad experience. Torch Browser still runs circles around Internet Explorer and would be a major upgrade there...While not a threat to Firefox or Chrome, Torch Browser is easy enough to use and might just impress Internet Explorer users. Heavy downloaders might enjoy the torrent downloader and media player that come with it, too."
PC Advisor, in an April 2013 review of the newest version, gave Torch 3.5/5 stars and praised it: "This is a great alternative browser that adds some interesting extras on top of the Chrome engine. It’s well worth trying out"
Ghacks', in a July 2013 article describing Torch's ability to download Instagram videos said: "Torch, while remaining largely behind-the-scenes in the IE-Firefox-Chrome war, continues to innovate and is, perhaps, the best option on the market today for many users, though most simply do not know it yet."
- Riggall, Jonathan (2012-08-01). "Torch Browser - Download". Torch.en.softonic.com. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "Torch Browser 220.127.116.115". Neowin.net. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "Torch Browser Delivers Social Media Sharing With A Healthy Dash Of Multimedia Control". The Blog Herald. 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "Torch Browser - CNET Download.com". Download.cnet.com. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- LARDINOIS, FREDERIC. "Torch Browser Passes 10 Million Monthly Active Users, Adds Download Accelerator, Updates Torch Music Service". TechCrunch.
- "Torch Browser 18.104.22.1685 Download". TechSpot. 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- "How to Download Instagram Videos - Torch Blog". Blog.torchbrowser.com. 2013-07-01. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Download Instagram videos | CNET TV | Video Product Reviews, CNET Podcasts, Tech Shows, Live CNET Video". Cnettv.cnet.com. 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Torch Browser 23.4 review: an alternative web browser to Chrome, Firefox and IE". PC Advisor. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- July 1, 2013 (2013-07-01). "Download Instagram videos with Torch browser". Ghacks. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Torch Browser: un navegador para gestionar las descargas". Alt1040.com. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-08-30.