Brunborg with Manu Katché in Ludwigshafen, 2014.
20 May 1960 |
Tore Brunborg (born 20 May 1960 in Trondheim) is a Norwegian Jazz musician who plays Saxophone and composes. He grew up in Voss where a flowering Jazz environment. Known from numerous appearances with inter national greats like Bugge Wesseltoft, Håvard Wiik, Audun Kleive, Anders Jormin, Diederik Wissels, Arild Andersen, Pat Metheny, Per Jørgensen, Geir Lysne, Misha Alperin, Bjørn Alterhaug, Jan Gunnar Hoff, Jarle Vespestad, Jon Christensen, Jon Balke, Nils Petter Molvær, Vigleik Storaas, Bo Stief, and last but not the least Billy Cobham.
After playing with Knut Kristiansen and Per Jørgensen, Brunborg debuted at Vossajazz (1980, 1982). After this he studied music at Toneheim folkehøgskole and on the Jazz program at Trondheim Musikkonservatorium (1980–82), and has evolved to be one of the most sought Jazz saxophonists in Norway.
He was on the lineup for the acclaimed band Masqualero and was three times awarded Spellemannprisen with this band. Brunborg also was witin Jon Eberson's Jazzpunkensemblet (two record reseases). He performed with Pat Metheny at the Moldejazz (2001), and has appeared in a wide range of linups with different jazz orchestras since. At the Norwegian Jazz scene he has been most recognized for the cooperation with Arild Andersen and his music for «Kristin Lavransdatter», performed to the Olympic Games at Lillehammer. He is a member of the Jazz quartet Moment together with Jørn Øien, Jens Fossum and Andreas Bye.
During the past few years he has worked with Mathias Eick, Manu Katché, the Tord Gustavsen Ensemble and Ketil Bjørnstad. He also plays a key role on two of Mats Eilertsen’s records (Radio Yonder and Sky Dive), and with the band Scent of Soil fronted by vocalist Kirsti Huke and Brunborg. On their first album, they make use of material from a critically acclaimed commissioned work they wrote together for the Vossajazz Festival in 2010.
- Spellemannprisen 1983 in the class Jazz for the album Masqualero, with the band Masqualero
- Spellemannprisen 1986 in the class Jazz for the album Bande a Part, with the band Masqualero
- Spellemannprisen 1991 in the class Jazz for the album Re-enter, with the band Masqualero
- Vossajazzprisen 2013
- Tid (Curling Legs 1993), with Bugge Wesseltoft and Jon Christensen
- Gull, røkelse og myrra (Kirkelig Kulturverksted, 1995), with Kjetil Bjerkestrand
- Prima Luna (Kirkelig Kulturverksted, 1997), with Kjetil Bjerkestrand
- Orbit (Curling Legs, 1998), with Jarle Vespestad
- Gravity (Vossajazz Records, 2003), with Bugge Wesseltoft and the swedes Lars Danielsson and Anders Engen
- Lucid Grey (Dravle Records, 2009)
- Restored, Returned (ECM, 2009) within Tord Gustavsen ensemble
- Remembrance (ECM, 2010)
- Scent Of Soil (Grappa Music, 2011), with Kirsti Huke
- The Well (ECM, 2012) within Tord Gustavsen Quartet
- Extended Circle (ECM, 2012)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tore Brunborg.|
- "Tore Brunborg". Biography (in Norwegian). Store Norske Leksikon. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Brunborg, Tore Biography" (in Norwegian). Norsk musikkinformasjon MIC.no. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Jazzlinja NRNU.no". NTNU.no. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Dobbeltaktuelle Tore Brunborg - MaiJazz.no". (in Norwegian)
- Fordham, John (2012-05-03). "Tore Brunborg/Kirsti Huke/Petter Vagan: Scent of Soil – review". The Guardian (London). Guardian.co.uk
- "Tore Brunborg/Kirsti Huke: Scent of Soil - HubroMusic.com".
|Recipient of the Buddyprisen
|Recipient of the Vossajazzprisen