Torment (1950 film)
|Directed by||John Guillermin|
|Written by||John Guillermin|
|Music by||John Wooldridge|
|Edited by||Robert Jordan Hill|
|Distributed by||Adelphi Films|
|Release date(s)||3 February 1950 (London) (UK)
November 10, 1950 (US)
|Running time||68 min.|
Brothers Cliff and Jim Brandon are a successful writing team specializing in murder mysteries, but Cliff and Jim are almost as disturbed as some of the characters they've created. Whilst researching their latest novel, one of the brothers commits murder, simply to experience the thrill. He then attempts to frame his secretary Joan for the crime. His reason this time is personal: both brothers are in love with Joan, but she prefers one over the other. The saner of the two brothers races against time to save Joan from the gallows and to bring his sibling to justice.
- Dermot Walsh as Cliff Brandon
- Rona Anderson as Joan
- John Bentley as Jim Brandon
- Michael Martin Harvey as Curley Wilson
- Valentine Dunn as Mrs. Crier
- Dilys Laye as Violet Crier
TV Guide wrote, "the story here is nothing new, but direction is fresh and original. Taking this simplistic plot line, Guillermin manages to inject some good suspense into a modestly budgeted feature. Walsh, Bentley, and Anderson play their roles well and play against one another with skill." 
- "Torment | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Paper Gallows (1950) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "Paper Gallows Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-04-16.