||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Japanese Wikipedia. (August 2011)|
Toro (left) and Kuro (right) holding PocketStation units
|First appearance||Doko Demo Issyo (1999)|
|Created by||Sony Computer Entertainment|
Toro (トロ?), full name Toro Inoue (井上トロ Inoue Toro?), also known as the Sony Cat, is a fictional character created by Sony Computer Entertainment. He is an anthropomorphized cat who participates in numerous events and tries to act like a human.
Toro first appeared in the PlayStation game Doko Demo Issyo, and has since appeared in every PlayStation platform. While not as popular in the west, he serves as Sony's mascot in Japan - in particular, of the PlayStation Network.
The character is an anthropomorphized white cat of a super deformed design style. Toro is characterized by its big, trapezoid-shaped face, a rectangular-shaped body, and its vast variety of face expressions. Toro's family name originated from a debugger called Toro 'Inoue' (井上 Inoue).
- Birthday: May 6
- Favorite foods: chūtoro, oratosquilla oratoria, nattō roll
- Dislikes: to be put in a box made from corrugated fiberboard
Video game appearances
Toro first appeared in July 1999 as the main character (chatterbot) in the video game Doko Demo Issyo (also transliterated as Doko Demo Issho and meaning "Together Anywhere") on the Sony PlayStation, and included support for the PocketStation. In 2004, Dokodemo Issho was released on the PlayStation Portable, a free demo being available in the Japanese PlayStation Store.
Toro stars in the PlayStation 3 title Mainichi Issho ("Everyday Together"), a talk show-like game where Toro delivers daily news together with Kuro, his black cat neighbor. Players can also answer trivia questions to win game money (Myale) and prizes such as furniture to decorate Toro's in-game apartment; an online IQ versus test game is also possible. Mainichi Issho is available free of charge download in the Japanese PlayStation Store only.
Toro is the main character of the free downloadable PlayStation Vita game Toro's Friend Network, in which the player must help him make friends so that he can save Kuro who has been kidnapped.
Guest and cameo appearances
Toro and Kuro both appear as exclusive fighters for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions of Street Fighter X Tekken by Capcom, in which Toro mimics Ryu's fighting style, while Kuro mimics Kazuya's fighting style. Toro alone appears in Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (available with the "Popipo Special Edition" downloadable content), where his appearance is used for multiple accessories and he stars in the "PoPiPo (Toro and Kuro special edition)" PV.
Toro and Kuro both appear as NPCs during specific quests in White Knight Chronicles 2. Toro and Kuro also appear in the MMO Phantasy Star Online 2 as Vita exclusive NPCs that the players can take with them on missions, and can eventually get them as MAGs for their characters. Toro is summonable by the player in Destiny of Spirits.
Toro costumes appear in LittleBigPlanet (available as a downloadable content), and in Tales of Graces f and Tales of Hearts R. Sony also made Toro and Kuro a free DLC plush for the player's character to wear in Tokyo Jungle for the PlayStation Network. In celebration of Toro's 15th birthday, and the 20th anniversary of the PlayStation, crossover images featuring Toro, Kuro and Freedom Wars characters were released.
- Gantayat, Anoop (2004-07-12). Dokodemo Issho Goes Online. IGN. Retrieved on 2008-11-27
- "Everybody's Putter Golf with TORO :: Game :: PlayStation® Asia - Hong Kong". Asia.playstation.com. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Toro Combo Exhibition « Shoryuken". Shoryuken.com. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Toro and Kuro to appear in Street Fighter x Tekken!". Capcom-europe.com. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Ishaan. "Here Are Sony Cats, Toro And Kuro, In Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f DLC". SiliconEra. Retrieved December 2012.
- "Sony Cat Mascots Appear in White Knight Chronicles 2 - Andriasang.com". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "LittleBigPlanet™ LittleBigPlanet™ Toro Costume | PS3™ Add-Ons | Games - PlayStation®". Us.playstation.com. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Tales of Graces f - Pascal Gets a Sony Entertainment's Mascot Toro Costume". Abyssal Chronicles. October 27, 2010. Retrieved November 3, 2010.
- "Tokyo Jungle™ Tokyo Jungle™ Toro Plush Costume | PS3™ Add-Ons | Games - PlayStation®". Us.playstation.com. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Freedom Wars Celebrates Toro’s 15th Birthday". Siliconera. Retrieved September 2014.
- Doko Demo Issyo official website (Japanese)