Toronto Area Control Centre
Toronto Area Control Centre (ICAO: CZYZ) is one of 7 Area Control Centres in Canada operated by NAV CANADA. The ACC is based out of a building a short distance away from the control tower at Toronto Pearson International Airport.
From this ACC, air traffic controllers provide en route and terminal control services to aircraft in the Toronto Flight Information Region (FIR). The Toronto FIR airspace covers most of Southern Ontario (the extreme southwest covered by Cleveland Air Route Traffic Control Center), Central Ontario, and parts of eastern Ontario. To the east are the Montreal Area Control Centre and Boston ARTCC; to the south are the Minneapolis Air Route Traffic Control Center, Cleveland Air Route Traffic Control Center, and New York Air Route Traffic Control Center; to the west is the Winnipeg Area Control Centre/FIR.
The Toronto ACC assumes control of the following classes of airports:
- Class C (Controlled, IFR/IFR, IFR/VFR and VFR/VFR separation, VFR: Mode C and ATC clearance required)
- Class D (Controlled, IFR/IFR and IFR/VFR separation, VFR: 2-way communication required)
- Class E (Controlled, only IFR/IFR spacing)
Airports under these classes include:
- CYYZ - Toronto Pearson International Airport in Mississauga, ON
- CYHM - John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport in Hamilton, ON
- CYXU - London International Airport in London, ON
- CYOO - Oshawa Airport in Oshawa, ON
- CYPQ - Peterborough Airport in Peterborough, ON
- CPZ9 - Billy Bishop Toronto City Water Aerodrome in Toronto
- CYTZ - Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
- CYKF - Region of Waterloo International Airport in Breslau, ON
- CYYB - North Bay/Jack Garland Airport in North Bay, ON
- CYKZ - Buttonville Municipal Airport in Markham, ON
- CZBA - Burlington Air Park in Burlington, ON
Peripheral station (PAL) frequencies
Within each FIR, there are transmitter sites that allow the relay of distant communication from aircraft back to the ACC. These links are called a peripheral station (PAL). They re-transmit the voice and data communication over high speed data links between the ACC and the remote transmitter.