In 1848-9 the Standard was a short-lived paper on newsprint, now relaunched in digital form
|Type||Daily news website and blog|
|Owner(s)||Toronto Standard Media Company Ltd.|
639 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Toronto Standard is an English language digital newspaper based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was launched in 2010 to cover urban affairs, business, technology, culture and design. The company produces its own video content; its 'Made In Toronto' video series has won awards for its quality.[when?]
The same name was used for a daily newspaper established in 1848.
The Toronto Standard newspaper was published in Toronto from 1848-1849. It is listed among Toronto's early newspapers as the Toronto Standard and General Advertiser. It was a weekly conservative newspaper, founded in 1848 and closed in 1849.
Modern digital newspaper
The Toronto Standard was among the very first websites to launch using adaptive response website design coding which enables users to automatically adapt the site to display on tablets and mobile devices. Six months after Toronto Standard was launched, the Boston Globe launched its website using the same responsive design programming.
In 2011 the Toronto Standard won three awards in the Canadian Online Publishing Awards: Gold for Best Website Design and Best Video/Multimedia, and Silver for Best Overall Online-Only Publication Website. The Toronto Standard was nominated by the .net Awards in the UK for Site of the Year. Along with The New York Times and Vogue, the site won an Official Honoree Award in the 2012 Webby Awards.
In 2012 the Toronto Standard won two awards in the Canadian Online Publishing Awards: Gold for Best Website Design, beating out the Globe and Mail, National Post, and The Grid TO (a Toronto Star publication). It also won Silver for Best Online only publication just behind the CBC website.
In 2013 the "Toronto Standard" won first place in the Canadian Online Publishing Awards: Gold for Best Online-Only Publication Website: http://www.canadianonlinepublishingawards.com/2013/winners.php beating out the "Huffington Post" and the "CBC".
- Steve Kupferman. "Soon-to-Launch News Site Promises Global Perspective on Toronto". Torontoist.com. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- "Toronto Standard Launch". Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Toronto Standard launch showed off publisher’s assets". TheStoryboard.ca. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Toronto Standard aims to give web writers a fair shake". TheStoryboard.ca. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Early Toronto Newspapers 1793-1867". Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Tom Czerniawski. "Toronto Standard magazine readies for launch". Masthead. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Jamie Bradburn. "A Print Standard". Torontoist.com. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Ethan Marcotte. "Responsive Web Design". Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "A digital reading experience". Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Jeff Sonderman. "How the Boston Globe built an all-in-one website, Web app and mobile site". Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Canadian Online Publishing Awards 2011". Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Webby Awards
- Canadian Online Publishing Awards