Tororo Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture of Construction Materials|
|Key people||B.M. Gagrani
|Products||Cement, Galvanized Iron, Steel Bars, Nails|
Tororo Cement Limited (TCL) is a leading manufacturer of construction materials in East Africa.
The main factories of the company are located in the town of Tororo, approximately 230 kilometres (140 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital of Uganda, the third-largest economy in the East African Community. This location lies approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi), by road, west of the border town of Malaba and the International border between Uganda and Kenya. The coordinates of the main factory are:0°39'36.0"N, 34°09'18.0"E (Latitude:0.6600; Longitude:34.1550).
In addition to the factories in Tororo, the company maintains a sales office at Metropole House on Entebbe Road, in Kampala and two warehouses; one in the Kampala suburb of Bweyogerere and the other at 6th Street, in Kampala's Industrial Area. A smaller office primarily concerned with customs clearing and forwarding is located at Malaba, at Uganda's International border with the Republic of Kenya.
Tororo Cement Limited is the largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda, producing an estimated 1,800,000 metric tonnes annually. In second place, is Hima Cement Limited, which produces an estimated 850,000 metric tonnes annually. Besides producing cement TCL also manufactures steel products for use the construction industry, including steel bars, galvanized wire, chain-link fence wire, corrugated iron sheets and steel nails, among other items. The company products find market in the Eastern African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan.
The company was established in 1952 by the British Colonial Government, to manufacture cement from the abundantly available limestone in the area around the Eastern Ugandan town of Tororo. The company, then known as Uganda Cement Industries (UCI), was administered as a parastatal company, under the umbrella of the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC). In 1995, the Government of Uganda, divested from UCI, which was acquired by the present owners who re-branded the company as Tororo Cement Limited (TCL).
The subsidiary companies of Tororo Cement Limited include the following:
The shares of stock of Tororo Cement Limited are privately held. The detailed shareholding in the company is not publicly known at this time.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Tororo With Map". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Map Showing Malaba And Tororo With Distance Marker". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Tororo Cement Limited At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Mugabe, David (10 September 2014). "Capital Markets Authority To Discuss Funding Options At Oil And Minerals Meeting". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Lafarge Uganda, . "Lafarge In Uganda - Hima Cement Limited: Production Capacity". Lafarge.Co.Ug (Lafarge Uganda). Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Tororo Cement, . "Brief History of Tororo Cement Limited". Tororo Cement Limited. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Michira, Moses (27 January 2011). "New Cement Firms Ride On Low Prices To Grow". Business Daily Africa (Nairobi). Retrieved 13 September 2014.