Tororo Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture of Construction Materials|
|Key people||B.M. Gagrani
|Products||Cement, Galvanized Iron, Steel Bars, Nails|
Tororo Cement Limited (TCL) is a leading manufacturer of construction materials in East Africa.
Tororo Cement Limited is the largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda, producing an estimated 1,000,000 metric tonnes annually. Not far behind, is Hima Cement Limited, which produces an estimated 850,000 metric tonnes annually. Besides producing cement TCL also manufactures steel products for use the construction industry, including steel bars, galvanized wire, chain-link fence wire, corrugated iron sheets and steel nails, among other items. The company products find market in the Eastern African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan.
The company was established in 1952 by the British Colonial Government, to manufacture cement from the abundantly available limestone in the area around the Eastern Ugandan town of Tororo. The company, then known as Uganda Cement Industries (UCI), was administered as a parastatal company, under the umbrella of the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC). In 1995, the Government of Uganda, divested from UCI, which was acquired by the present owners who re-branded the company as Tororo Cement Limited (TCL).
The main factories of the company are located in the town of Tororo, approximately 230 kilometres (140 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. This location lies approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi), by road, west of the border town of Malaba and the International border between Uganda and Kenya. The coordinates of the main factory are:00 39 36N, 34 09 18E (Longitude:0.6600; Latitude:34.1550).
In addition to the factories in Tororo, the company maintains a sales office at Metropole House on Entebbe Road, in Kampala and two warehouses; one in the Kampala suburb of Bweyogerere and the other at 6th Street, in Kampala's Industrial Area. A smaller office primarily concerned with customs clearing and forwarding is located at Malaba, at the Kenya - Uganda border.
The subsidiary companies of Tororo Cement Limited include the following:
The shares of stock of Tororo Cement Limited are privately held. The detailed shareholding in the company is not publicly known at this time.
- "Tororo Cement Limited Is Largest Cement Producer In Uganda". Worldcement.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Hima Produces 850,000 Metric Tonnes of Cement Annually". Himacement.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- History of Tororo Cement Limited[dead link]
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Tororo With Map". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Map Showing Malaba And Tororo With Distance Marker". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- A 109 (1970-01-01). "Location of Tororo Cement Limited At Google Maps". Maps.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Locations of TCL Offices[dead link]
- "Mombasa Cement Is Subsidiary of Tororo Cement Limited". Businessdailyafrica.com. Retrieved 2014-05-11.