Torrance County, New Mexico
|Torrance County, New Mexico|
Torrance County Courthouse in Estancia
Location in the state of New Mexico
New Mexico's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 16, 1903|
|• Total||3,346 sq mi (8,666 km2)|
|• Land||3,345 sq mi (8,664 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.03%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 3,346 square miles (8,670 km2), of which 3,345 square miles (8,660 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (0.03%) is water. Most of the county is primarily gently-rolling grassland ranging from 6000 to 6200 feet in elevation. The Manzano Mountains rising to 10,098 feet on the western edge of the county provide it with its only significant topographic relief. The Manzano Wilderness area includes the highest part of the mountains. The other notable geographic feature of the county is the series of playas and seasonal lakes centering on Laguna del Perro southeast of Estancia.
- Santa Fe County, New Mexico - north
- San Miguel County, New Mexico - north
- Guadalupe County, New Mexico - east
- Lincoln County, New Mexico - south
- Socorro County, New Mexico - south
- Valencia County, New Mexico - west
- Bernalillo County, New Mexico - northwest
National protected areas
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
- District 1: Lonnie Fryberger
- District 2: LeAnne Tapia
- District 3: Vanessa Chavez-Gutierrez(Commission Chairman)
- County Manager - Joy Ansley
- County Clerk - Linda Kayser
- County Treasurer - Dorothty Sandoval
- County Assessor - Betty Cabber
- County Sheriff - Heath White
Whereas according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau:
- 76.1% White
- 1.3% Black
- 2.3% Native American
- 0.4% Asian
- 0.0% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
- 4.3% Two or more races
- 15.6% Other races
- 39.1% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,911 people, 6,024 households, and 4,391 families residing in the county. The population density was 5 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 7,257 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 73.89% White, 1.66% Black or African American, 2.09% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.13% Pacific Islander, 17.95% from other races, and 3.97% from two or more races. 37.15% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,024 households out of which 37.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.40% were married couples living together, 12.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.10% were non-families. 23.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the county the population was spread out with 30.40% under the age of 18, 7.50% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 9.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 105.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,446, and the median income for a family was $34,461. Males had a median income of $29,403 versus $21,833 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,134. About 15.20% of families and 19.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.50% of those under age 18 and 12.00% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Centers of Population by State: 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
||Bernalillo County||Santa Fe County and San Miguel County|
|Valencia County||Guadalupe County|
|Lincoln County and Socorro County|