|Type of site||Blog|
|Owner||Lennart Renkema PhD|
|Created by||Ernesto Van Der Sar
Andy "Enigmax" Maxwell
Ben Jones (modified WordPress)
|Editor||"Ernesto Van Der Sar"|
|Launched||November 12, 2005|
|Alexa rank||3,647 (December 2013[update])|
The website was started in November 2005 by a Dutchman using the pseudonym "Ernesto Van Der Sar". He was joined by Andy "Enigmax" Maxwell and Ben Jones in 2007. Regular contributors include Rickard Falkvinge, founder of the Pirate Party. The online publication eCommerceTimes, in 2009, described "Ernesto" as the pseudonym of Lennart Renkema, owner of TorrentFreak.
According to Canadian law scholar Michael Geist, TorrentFreak "is widely used as a source of original reporting on digital issues". Examples are The New York Times, The Guardian, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and the Flemish newspaper De Standaard.
Comcast BitTorrent throttling
On August 17, 2007 TorrentFreak reported that Comcast had begun throttling its upload bandwidth, specifically against BitTorrent users. This made seeding, which is an essential part of the BitTorrent protocol, effectively impossible. It was later determined that Comcast was using Sandvine products which implement network traffic shaping and policing, and include support for both blocking new and forcefully terminating established network connections. Comcast has denied these claims whenever they have been asked to comment. A guide, for customer service representatives when asked about Comcast's BitTorrent throttling, was leaked to The Consumerist on October 26, 2007.
On August 21, 2013, Comcast threatened TorrentFreak for writing about publicly available court documents.  The underlying document links a Comcast subscriber with the Prenda Law firm, a known copyright troll. The court case where the document was filed was a copyright infringement lawsuit brought by AF Holdings for alleged infringement of an adult movie. 
- Pouwelse, Johan; Renkema, Lennart (2009-04-17). "Piraten zijn digitale pioniers" [Pirates are digital pioneers] (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "Torrentfreak.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Injijian, Allen (2007-05-14). "Pwned: Final Project Interview #2: Ernesto of TorrentFreak.com". Archived from the original on 2007-06-30. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Smith, Ethan; McBride, Sarah (2008-08-04). "Web Piracy: The Enemy Within?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "About TorrentFreak". Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- Profile. Rick Falkvinge, torrentfreak.com.
- San Miguel, Renay (June 30, 2009). "Pirate Bay Decides to Join the Navy". E-Commerce Times. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Geist, Michael (2010-04-20). "The 2009 Copyright Consultation: Setting the Record Straight". Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- Sisaro, Ben (2010-11-26). "'U.S. Shuts Down Web Sites in Piracy Crackdown". The New York Times.
- Kiss, Jemima (2011-08-09). "'BitTorrent: Copyright lawyers' favourite target reaches 200,000 lawsuits". The Guardian.
- Pepitone, Julianne (2011-06-10). "'50,000 BitTorrent users sued for alleged illegal downloads". CNN.
- McBride, Sarah (2008-08-04). "'Web Piracy: The Enemy Within?". The Wall Street Journal.
- Van Cayseele, Patrick J. G.; Vanormelingen, Stijn (2009-02-26). Prices and Network Effects in Two-Sided Markets: The Belgian Newspaper Industry. SSRN 1404392.
- Hoefkens, Kristof (2010-05-28). "'Lost' en het mysterie van de illegale downloads" ['Lost' and the mystery of illegal downloads]. De Standaard (in Dutch). p. 36.
- Hoefkens, Kristof (2010-07-08). "Prince versus het internet" [Prince versus the internet]. De Standaard (in Dutch). p. 34.
- Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported
- Copy CC at bottom of all pages
- Lawler, Ryan (2007-08-21). "Comcast Takes on TorrentFreak". Light Reading. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo". The Consumerist. 2007-10-26. Archived from the original on 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2010-06-14.
- "Comcast Threatens to Sue TorrentFreak for Copyright Infringement (updated)". TorrentFreak. 2013-08-21. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Comcast Business Record Affidavit". Docket Alarm, Inc. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Docket for AF Holdings, LLC v. Patel, 2:12-cv-00262, No. 1 (N.D.Ga.)". Docket Alarm, Inc.
- "Complaint, AF Holdings, LLC v. Patel, 2:12-cv-00262, No. 1 (N.D.Ga. Nov. 2, 2012)". Docket Alarm, Inc. Retrieved 2013-08-21.