Torsten Schmitz (right)
|| East Germany
August 26, 1964 |
||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)
||72 kg (159 lb)
||Schweriner SC, Schwerin
Torsten Schmitz (born August 26, 1964 in Crivitz, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) is a retired German boxer in the Light Middleweight division. He represented East Germany at the 1988 Summer Olympics.
Schmitz was an amateur standout and fought in several notable European tournaments, compiling a record of 215-35.
- 1982 Junior European Champion at Welterweight in Schwerin, Germany
- 1985 competed at the European Championships in Budapest, Hungary as a Welterweight
- 1986 3rd place at World Championships in Reno, United States as a Welterweight
- 1988 competed at the Seoul Olympics as a Light Middleweight
- 1989 2nd place as a Light Middleweight at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia
- 1990 2nd place at the Goodwill Games in Seattle, USA
- 1991 3rd place as a Light Middleweight at World Championships in Sydney, Australia
- 1991 2nd place at European Championships in Gothenborg, Sweden
Since 1996 Schmitz is working as coach for Universum Box-Promotion. Trained/Trains Regina Halmich, Bert Schenk, Armand Krajnc, Luan Krasniqi, Michael Trabant, and Alesia Graf.