Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell
|Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell|
|Format||Stand up comedy
|Written by||W. Kamau Bell
|Starring||W. Kamau Bell|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||64 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Chris Rock
Keri Smith Esgula
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||CR Enterprises
|Original channel||FX (2012–13)
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Original run||August 9, 2012– November 14, 2013|
Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell is an American stand up comedy television series that premiered on FX on August 9, 2012, starring comedian W. Kamau Bell. On stage, Bell did mostly observational comedy on recent news stories and current events. After an opening PowerPoint monologue, the program usually cuts to a segment filmed outside of the studio. Additionally, since all of the show's writers were stand-up comedians, many often appear as correspondents who perform monologues. Later at the end of the program, Bell interviews a celebrity guest. In order to ensure the show's topicality, most of the show was taped on the day that it was broadcast. In the first episode, Bell interviewed Chris Rock, who was also an executive producer of the show.
|Season premiere||Season finale||Network|
|1||26||August 9, 2012||June 20, 2013||FX|
|2||38||September 4, 2013||November 14, 2013||FXX|
On September 18, 2012, FX ordered an additional seven episodes of Totally Biased that premiered on October 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM ET. Episode 12 ended up airing at 12:00 AM ET on November 16, 2012 because Brand X with Russell Brand had been extended to an hour. On November 27, FX announced the series would have an additional 13 episodes in the first season beginning on January 17, 2013. After a short break during the 2013 portion of season 1, episodes resumed on May 9, 2013 and continued until the season 1 finale on June 20, 2013. With the launch of FXX, the show would air daily at 11:00 PM ET and began its second season on September 4, 2013.
The premiere episode received mixed reviews. The A.V. Club gave it a B+ and called it "a much better version of Chocolate News, which drops the sketch comedy bent for more explicit social commentary that blends The Daily Show with what Russell Brand wishes he could get on Brand X." The Los Angeles Times also compared Bell and the show favorably to Brand X, saying that "there is a voluble sweetness to his manner that should prove a tonally better companion" to preceding programs. The San Francisco Chronicle applauded the shows edginess, saying that "it makes The Daily Show look like something your dad watches." Newsday gave the show a B- and was more critical saying that "Rock may want to light a fire under this act sooner than later." The A.V. Club reviewed the first cycle of season one giving it a B, stating that it has "positive progress to build on going forward. It’s certainly in better shape than Brand X, especially when it just lets Bell do his thing in the opening segment. But the longevity of the show will depend on the star finding a way to shape the out-of-studio segments into something more compelling and growing as an interviewer." 
- Sara Bibel (2013-11-13). "'Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell' Canceled by FXX". TV by the Numbers.
- Nellie Andreeva, (2013-11-13). "FXX’s ‘Totally Biased’ Cancelled, Last Show To Air Tomorrow". Deadline.com.
- Sean O'Neal (2012-09-18). "FX orders more Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell | Newswire". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Sara Bibel (2012-11-27). "'Brand X With Russell Brand' and 'Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell' Renewed by FX". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "About the show". FX Networks. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- Kevin McFarland (2012-08-10). "Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell | Other Shows | TV Club | TV". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- Robert Lloyd (2012-08-11). "Review: W. Kamau Bell is a friendly late-night face". latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- David Wiegand (2012-08-11). "'Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell' review". SFGate. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- Verne Gay (2012-08-06). "'Totally Biased' review: W. Kamau Bell does late night". Newsday. Retrieved 2012-08-27.
- Kevin McFarland (2012-09-21). "Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell - Season One | Other Shows | TV Club | TV". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2012-11-17.