Totó la Momposina
|Totó la Momposina|
|Birth name||Sonia Bazanta Vides|
|Also known as||Totó la Momposina|
August 1, 1940|
Talaigua Nuevo, Bolívar, Colombia
|Labels||Real World Records|
Sonia Bazanta Vides, better known as Totó la Momposina, is a Colombian singer of Afro-Colombian and Indigenous descent. She reached international attention with the release of her 1993 album La Candela Viva on Peter Gabriel's Real World Records label.
Totó was born in the northern Colombian town of Talaigua Nuevo near Mompox in the Bolívar Department. She is from the fourth generation of her family to be involved with music, and her children are following in the tradition.
- Cantadora (MTM Auvidisc, 1983)
- Colombia - Totó La Momposina y sus Tambores (Auvidis 4513, 1989)
- La Candela Viva (Realworld Records 31, 1992)
- Carmelina (MTM, 1995)
- Pacantó (Colombia: MTM/Europe:Nuevos Medios/USA: World Village, 2000)
- Gaita y Tambores
- Total: 2-disc compilation
- Michel Cleis feat - Totó La Momposina - La Mezcla - samples tracks "El Pescador" and "Curura" from the La Candela Viva album (2009)
Two songs from La Candela Viva were included on the soundtrack of the 1997 movie Jungle 2 Jungle.
Her song "La Verdolaga" was sampled on Rich Boy's "Get to Poppin'" produced by Brian Kidd.
Awards and nominations
|2015||El Asunto||Best Tropical Latin Album||Nominated|
Latin Grammy Awards
A Latin Grammy Award is an accolade by the Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences to recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry. Totó la Momposina has two awards from four nominations for her collaboration with the urban group Calle 13 on their song "Latinoamérica", receiving in 2013 the lifetime achievement award.
|2000||Pacantó||Best Folk Album||Nominated|
|2002||Pacantó||Best Traditional Tropical Album||Nominated|
|2009||La Bodega||Best Traditional Tropical Album||Nominated|
|2011||"Latinoamérica"||Record of the Year||Won|
|"Latinoamérica"||Song of the Year||Won|
|2013||Special Awards||Lifetime Achievement Award||Won|
|2014||El Asunto||Best Folk Album||Nominated|
Premios Nuestra Tierra
A Premio Nuestra Tierra is an accolade that recognize outstanding achievement in the Colombian music industry. Totó la Momposina has received a nomination.
|2014||"La Candela Viva" (with Jorge Celedón)||Best Folk Performance of the Year||Nominated|
- Totó La Momposina official website
- Indigenous Cactus Flutes, Afro-Colombian Drums and Brass Bands - Totó La Momposina Puts Colombia's Soul on the World Stage
- Michael Cleis feat. Totó La Momposina - La Mezcla on YouTube