Totó la Momposina
|Totó la Momposina|
|Birth name||Sonia Bazanta Vides|
|Also known as||Totó la Momposina|
January 15, 1948|
Talaigua Nuevo, Bolivar,Colombia
|Labels||Real World Records|
Sonia Bazanta Vides, better known as Totó la Momposina, is a Colombian singer of Afro-Colombian and Indigenous descent. She was born in the northern Colombian town of Talaigua Nuevo near Mompox in the Bolívar Department, but she released her 1993 album "La Candela Viva" on Peter Gabriel's Real World Records label.
Totó is from the fourth generation of her family to be involved with music, and her children are following in the tradition.
- Cantadora (MTM Auvidisc, 1983)
- Colombia - Toto La Momposina y sus Tambores (Auvidis 4513, 1989)
- La Candela Viva (Realworld Records 31 1992)
- Carmelina (MTM, 1995)
- Pacantó (Colombia: MTM/Europe:Nuevos Medios/USA: World Village, 2000)
- Gaita y Tambores
- Total - 2 disc compilation
- Michel Cleis feat - Toto La Momposina - La Mezcla - samples the track El Pescador from the La Candela Viva album (2009)
- Paul Kalkbrenner feat - Toto la Momposina - La Mezcla Remix - samples the track Curura from the La Candela Viva album (2010)
Two songs from La Candela Viva were included on the soundtrack of the movie Jungle 2 Jungle.
Her song "La Verdolaga" has been sampled on Rich Boy's "Get to Poppin'" produced by Brian Kidd.
- Toto La Momposina official website
- Indigenous Cactus Flutes, Afro-Colombian Drums and Brass Bands - Toto La Momposina Puts Colombia's Soul on the World Stage
- Michael Cleis feat. Toto La Momposina - La Mezcla
- Paul Kalkbrenner feat. Toto La Momposina - La Mezcla Remix