Tourism (Roxette album)
|Studio album with live tracks by Roxette|
|Released||28 August 1992|
|Recorded||EMI Studios, Stockholm, 1992|
|Singles from Tourism|
|Los Angeles Times|||
Tourism: Songs from Studios, Stages, Hotelrooms & Other Strange Places is the fourth album by Swedish pop duo Roxette. Released on 28 August 1992, it was recorded mostly during their Join the Joyride world tour and is often mistaken for being a live album. In fact, it is a mixture of live and studio tracks.
Four live tracks were included in the album, "The Look", "It Must Have Been Love", "Things Will Never Be the Same" and "Joyride". While "It Must Have Been Love" didn't appear on a Roxette album until their greatest hits album Don't Bore Us, Get to the Chorus!, the other three songs did appear on Look Sharp! and Joyride.
Another three songs were also released before, "So Far Away" was included on their 1986 debut album Pearls of Passion, "Come Back (Before You Leave)" was originally the B-side for the "Joyride" single, while "Silver Blue" originally appeared as a demo version as the B-side for "The Look" single. "Here Comes the Weekend", the album's 11th track, featured some improvisation. As the song was recorded in a hotelroom, a Samsonite suitcase was used instead of drums.
Tourism made a little impact on American charts; it peaked at #117 on the Billboard 200 albums chart but was still able to sell about 273,000 copies there. It did far better elsewhere, especially in Europe, where it held the #1 position of best-selling albums for 4 weeks in September 1992. Upon release, the album went straight to #2 in the UK, staying on the albums chart there for 17 weeks and was eventually certified gold by BPI in September 1992 for selling more than 100,000 copies. It also debuted at #1 in Sweden and reached higher regions of album charts all over the world.
Though not matching the previous albums' success, Tourism has sold in excess of 6 million copies worldwide.
All songs written and composed by Per Gessle, except "So Far Away" (Lyrics: Gessle & Hasse Huss) & "Queen of Rain" (Music: Gessle & Mats Persson).
|1.||"How Do You Do!"||Halmstad & Stockholm||3:09|
|2.||"Fingertips" (original version)||Rio de Janeiro||3:22|
|3.||"The Look" (live version)||Live in Sydney||5:34|
|4.||"The Heart Shaped Sea"||Los Angeles||4:31|
|6.||"Keep Me Waiting"||Stockholm||3:12|
|7.||"It Must Have Been Love" (live & country version)||Santiago, Chile-Ocean Way, L.A.||7:08|
|8.||"Cinnamon Street" (original version)||Stockholm, Copenhagen||5:04|
|9.||"Never Is a Long Time" (live version)||Live in São Paulo||3:44|
|11.||"Here Comes the Weekend" (live acoustic version)||Hotelroom 603, Alvear Palace Hotel, Buenos Aires, Argentina||4:11|
|12.||"So Far Away" (live acoustic version)||Hotelroom 603, Alvear Palace Hotel, Buenos Aires, Argentina||4:02|
|13.||"Come Back (Before You Leave)"||Stockholm, Sweden||4:30|
|14.||"Things Will Never Be the Same" (live version)||Live in Zürich||3:22|
|15.||"Joyride" (live version)||Live in Sydney||4:50|
|16.||"Queen of Rain" (original version)||Stockholm, Sweden||4:49|
|2009 remastered release – CD bonus tracks|
|18.||"2 Cinnamon Street"|
|2009 remastered release – iTunes only bonus tracks|
|16.||"Fading Like a Flower (Every Time You Leave)" (live)|
|18.||"It Must Have Been Love" (live)|
|19.||"Dressed for Success" (live)|
- "How Do You Do!"
- "How Do You Do!"
- "Fading Like a Flower (Every Time You Leave)" (live)
- "Knockin' on Every Door" (BomKrash 12" Remix)
- "How Do You Do!" (BomKrash 12" Remix)
- "Queen of Rain"
- "Queen of Rain" (edit version / single version)
- "It Must Have Been Love" (live)
- "Paint" (Live)
- "Pearls of Passion"
- "So Far Away": Per Gessle & Hasse Huss
- Music — Per Gessle, except for the following:
- "Queen of Rain": Per Gessle & Mats M.P. Persson
Produced and arranged by Clarence Öfwerman
All songs published by Jimmy Fun Music
- Per Gessle - Vocals, guitar & Harmonica
- Marie Fredriksson - Vocals & piano
- Clarence Öfwerman - Keyboards, programming & piano
- Anders Herrlin - Bass & programming
- Jonas Isacsson - Guitar & mandolin
- M.P. Persson - Guitar
- Pelle Alsing - Drums, percussion & Samsonite suitcase
- Staffan Öfwerman - Backing vocals & percussion
- Vicki Benckert - Backing vocals, percussion & accordion
- Mia Lindgren- Backing vocals
- Alar Suurna - Tambourine & maracas
- Greg Leisz - Pedeal steel guitar
- Bo Eriksson - Oboe
- Allmusic review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- Hunt, Dennis (1992-10-04). "In Brief (Roxette, Tourism)". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Ask Billboard section on billboard.com (2005)". Billboard.
- "BPI certifications". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Expresson's article on Roxette's history (part 3)" (in Swedish). www.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2001-06-05. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- "Tourism album 2009 re-release info". www.thelookforroxette.com.
- "Austrian Certifications". IFPI Austria.
- "Canadian Certifications". Music Canada.
- Kulta- ja platinalevyt IFPI.fi
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Roxette; '=Tourism')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Swedish Certifications 1987-1998". IFPI Sweden.
- "Swiss Certifications 1992". Swiss IFPI.